Iron Maiden video interviews / shows

He probably does. Did you?
The difference is that Dickinson will typically say "the best record we ever had" (or maybe that's more a standard McBrain statement).. This time he said "biggest". Did he think they tapped into the musical vein of the times with FotD?

The difference is that Dickinson will typically say "the best record we ever had" (or maybe that's more a standard McBrain statement).. This time he said "biggest". Did he think they tapped into the musical vein of the times with FotD?
I really doubt it. I wouldn't look too much into what choice of words he uses, especially since Bruce is known to talk things up like that.

And I'm not just saying this because I dislike the album. Bruce is easily the least inspired musician on FotD. I totally get why artists say things like that during album promo time, but it's painfully obvious on the record that Bruce wasn't into it at that point.

You want to see over the top marketing .. look up every Kiss release interview on youtube ... every album re-defines rock and roll, while at the same time being the new Destroyer. Maiden has always been pretty tame with the promo stuff IMO

Great interview forostar! One thing in particular stood out for me.
"I think this will be the biggest record we ever had"- Bruce Dickinson.

It wasn't quite that, though many a Maiden fan - in my opinion - should re-evaluate their take on it. Much too often is it at the bottom, or very near that, of the typical post your Maiden favourite record.

Yes,as i said before for poeple who fall in love with maiden in early 90s Fear of the dark was and is a great álbum ( im not drunk) back in 92 and 93 afraid to shoot strangers and Fear of the dark ( live at donington) was played really often in radios,tv programs and was like our enter sandman and unforgiven ( NOT JOKING),it was a succes so i cant understand why is so ¿¿bashed ??

I do actually think FOTD was very much of its time, that stripped down approach, much less flamboyant than some of the 80s stuff. The title track remains one of the most widely known Maiden songs, and is a bit of a crowd pleaser live. In fact, when this album came out, I remember thinking to myself how this band had successfully made it into the 90s, while a lot of people turned their back on 80s music and musicians. (I'd forgotten all about them a year or two later, but that's another story). I've heard a fair few people say FOTD was what introduced them to Maiden, so it's obviously not an album anyone can dismiss as insignificant. But whether Bruce really, genuinely, believed it was going to be their biggest, I'm not so sure of that at all. He left not too long after this, for one thing.

When people rate it lower than other albums, remember it's up against some pretty tough competition! It's not to everyone's taste, true, but equally, for those who like it, it's hard to rate it above some of the truly outstanding albums.

Well said Brigantium.....I'm also pretty sure that Maiden tried to make themselves relevant with this album. The music video to Wasting Love was very much of it's time.....The whole look they incorporated which they hadn't had in the 80s was also very much 90s...

To be honest I hear what Bruce says in that interview.... but the look in his eyes and his posture says something else.

Come to think of it, I have often thought of Bruce's output from FotD through Balls to Picasso and Skunkworks as a bit of a midlife crisis carried over into music, lyrics and sounds.
Much more the real world/life aspect that was very uncommon in 1980's Maiden. Maybe apart from Wasted Years or such.

Perhaps this is why a lot of Maiden fans "dismiss" these albums as lesser or insignificant, compared with the more upbeat and "happy" earlier things.
Some of it is harder to relate to.

I like the sounding of this:
"We've got plenty tours ahead of us".

+ this one is pretty obvious but still good to have it said. :)
"We are going to do another album. When we do it, I can't tell you".

Last edited:
No problem folks, and yes it's the same interview as the other thread. I just want to spread it far and wide since it's so hopeful for the band's future! :lol:

Either way, I'm actually getting excited about their future plans again. This playful teasing of Maiden's future plans is a lot more like it!

You know, I watch Bruce interviews sometimes & he's either: clowning around & joking (not that I have a problem with that); on autopilot (again, pretty understandable); or sometimes he comes across, to me, as slightly aloof; or, dare I say, even a little patronising. (Probably utterly bored with interviews, no doubt.) I'm sure he's not actually like that, but that's just the way I see him, sometimes. But that interview was the most relaxed & inwardly confident sounding Bruce I think I've seen. No histrionics, or silly anecdotes --just plain talking, honest, perceptive, revealing self-analysis. That was very good. And, as others have mentioned, fills me with hope in regard to Maiden's future. They (or at least Bruce, on this evidence) really are still motivated, writing, & enjoying music. Some quite interesting stuff about his singing too...

Back