IRON MAIDEN SURVIVOR #7: Results -> Hallowed Be Thy Name wins for the 6th time!

Eliminated after Round 31:
Wrathchild - 12 votes
Killers - 10 votes
I knew Wrathchild would be eliminated. It's not the most impressive song on the list, but it's a one great rocker (one of the band's best imo).
Killers is an early classic.

I voted for:

The Number Of The Beast
Where Eagles Dare
If Eternity Should Fail

Eternity only because I wished it had a proper solo.

Though you should have started your post with "Hold my Trooper Red & Black Beer..." or some such. And maybe made some kind of reference to @Niall Kielt's couch.
Nah, don't really like porter, I'm more lager and pilsner guy, so maybe "Hold my Light Brigade".
I don't really know story about Niall's couch but if I understood correctly, he offers his couch to lover for lovemaking.
Good for them. And nice thing from Niall. Niall is nice. Be like Niall.
Fake news! I don't think I said that, but I'm curious what I meant by that if I did.
Indeed you didn't. It's actually Judas' post LINK HERE but he quoted you, so that's probably why I mixed it up. Sorry, my bad.
About the song becoming a mess: That's why I specifically mentioned classical music, where the whole point is to introduce a motif and to modify it in various ways. There are countless symphonies that span anywhere from a dozen minutes to almost an hour with incredibly rich thematic material, complex and intricately composed masterpieces where every note for every single instrument has a place and a purpose. Let's not underestimate listeners. People can listen to stuff like that, analyze it and follow it perfectly well. To claim that long songs need to repeat the same section exactly as is, is almost patronizing. Fugues for example are entirely based around manipulating one single idea and creating a piece out of that. Furthermore, you can callback without repeating the same motif as if copy/pasted. You can modulate, you can change the chords, you can add harmonies; there are a million ways to make it more interesting than just repeating what came before.
You nailed what I wanted to say, but couldn't really put my finger on it. It doesn't really sound like a Maiden song, nor does it sound like operatic piece to me.

Anyway, I'm glad it works for a lot of people (just skimmed the EOTC thread) and I'm glad you enjoy it. It just doesn't work for me. I guess I can draw parallel with The Parchment, which people either really love or think it's too much. If the main riff works for you, you're just going to enjoy what everything that keeps pilled on the main theme. If you don't, well, there are 160+ other songs to enjoy.

VWXiuO7.jpg

Eliminated after Round 32:
Futureal - 14 votes
Afraid To Shoot Strangers - 12 votes
Blood Brothers - 9 votes

Eliminated after Round 32:
Futureal - 14 votes
Afraid To Shoot Strangers - 12 votes
Blood Brothers - 9 votes
^ One of the band's best short songs (with no chances, I admit), one of the band's best melodic songs and one of the band's best slow songs!

I voted for:

The Number Of The Beast
Where Eagles Dare
Starblind
If Eternity Should Fail

I like Starblind a lot, but I happen to like the rest of the songs (at least) a bit more. And I will always choose a classic metal approach over proggy sections (which in this song I think is great and perfect). Just personal preference.

VWXiuO7.jpg

Eliminated after Round 33:
Starblind - 11 votes
The Prisoner - 9 votes
The Clansman - 9 votes
Brighter Than A Thousand Suns - 9 votes

Back