Iron Maiden studio album 17 rumours and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ Agree. The live versions of the DOD songs are superior. I can’t listen to the studio version of Journeyman at all. It’s mixed so poorly. Plus the live version has a nice little solo by Adrian. That little solo is something the studio version could of used.
and the intro talked quote by Bruce in Dance of Death

Personally, my favorite production job from the last five albums is TBOS. Very epic vibe, roomy, all of the instruments have enough space given to them to make a huge sound, it’s great.

I don't know about TBOS, I think it sounds a bit muffled and muddy. I point the blame at the EdPhon3s or whatever that Steve used to mix it.

My favourite production of the reunion albums would be AMOLAD if they'd sorted the levels out, Bruce gets drowned out by the rest of the band at times.

Not "Paschendale". At least not in the DOTR video.

Both intro tapes were pre-recorded before the tour and played by the PA at the shows. Bruce did the voice-overs and David Pattenden (then with Sanctuary but since 2009 with Banger Productions) was responsible for finding the special effects to accompany each intro tape. ;)

I think it says more about Steve's attitude towards production than the quality of any of those albums. All of the reunion albums have been pretty good to great (minus TFF, imo), but Steve became obsessed with everything sounding "live" and "raw" to the detriment of the listening experience.
I don't think it is Steve's tastes that are to blame.
I think the claim to getting a live and raw feel is just a way to "sell" what they are doing.

I think the reason they record this way is because it is cheaper.
There isn't much money to be made in making and selling albums. Money comes from concert tickets and merchandise. Maiden's focus these days is all about the money.

Ever since the majority of people started downloading music for free, then it takes away the incentive of releasing albums. Now, established bands only release new albums once in a blue moon, and don't really bother with putting money into quality production.

Steve can't really say this stuff when promoting an album can he? So instead he sells it as if the poor production is intentional and gives it a live and raw quality.

There isn't much money to be made in making and selling albums. Money comes from concert tickets and merchandise. Maiden's focus these days is all about the money.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but this is a ridiculous statement when we are talking about a band that could release countless versions of the same single back in the day when there was money in selling records.

Maiden album productions are expensive. Since the return of Bruce and Adrian to the band they have used (expensive) professional studios instead of a barn and an expensive sought-after producer when they could have opted for cheaper options.

Last edited:
To me, it sounds less like 'cheap' production and more like a conscious effort to make the band sound immense and overwhelming, rather than clear and crisp, for the sake of impact. That's what he means by a 'live' sound, just recreating a barrage of sound to recreate some of feel of being at a live show. Because Maiden is this loud beast of a band, it matches the image Steve et al want to put out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back