IRON MAIDEN REFERENDUM 2020: Results -> Hallowed Be Thy Name wins for the 5th time!

Are you satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
Oh boy, time to listen through Dance of Death. It's fun to revisit albums you haven't heard in full for a long time.

As The Longest Day was eliminated, I would like to commemorate the amazing section that follows its intro.

Sliding we go, only fear on our side
To the edge of the wire,
And we rush with the tide
Oh the water is red,
With the blood of the dead
But I'm still alive, pray to God I survive

Wow, Dance of Death is lacking in many regards. Their songwriting took a dive in 2003 but luckily recovered with AMOLAD. Most of the album is skippable and somehow tedious to sit through. Many songs follow the same “clean intro” formula, which can be said about most reunion albums, but on DOD it feels the least convincing. Rainmaker, Dance of Death, Paschendale and even No More Lies are strong songs but the poor sound mix of the album makes even those a tad tiresome. Out of the notoriously bad ones, Age of Innocence is my favourite: I like the chorus and the harmony after the solos is one of the best guitar moments on the album. Speaking of which, Maiden is synonymous with guitar paradise but where’s all the memorable licks and riffs this time? There are a few but not enough. Also, when New Frontier came on, I had to check the title because I didn’t recognise it as a song I had ever heard before.

Voting for:
Wildest Dreams
No More Lies
Montsegur
Gates of Tomorrow
New Frontier
Face in the Sand
Age of Innocence
Journeyman

I agree that Dance of Death overall is lacking in the guitar department. However No More Lies has some of my favorite Maiden melodies.

I agree that Dance of Death overall is lacking in the guitar department. However No More Lies has some of my favorite Maiden melodies.

That's true.

But the whole song is ruined with one of the most unimaginative and repetitive choruses in the IM discography. Probably the most out of any reunion songs. Hence, I call it No More Lies (x48).

I personally don't mind the chorus, although they could've definitely gone a more creative road there. Maybe it's the instrumentation behind the vocals that saves it for me, I'm not sure.

The Legacy
No More Lies
Paschendale (2nd most overrated song in their catalog)
Face In The Sand
Journeyman

Wildest lies at the innocent frontier of tomorrow.

4 easy choices, No More Lies is a song I like, but the chorus makes it drop just below the other mid-tier DoD songs.

Its easy to argue with, its hardly rated, let alone overrated. The dogs in the street know that its far better live with Bruce. Unless of course Maidenfans voted the recorded version in the Top 10 in the last survivor....

Ok, you have me there, as anticipated. But surely (I wont be checking) a large percentage of those high votes have the caveat that its better with Bruce. So technically you may be right but I doubt that there's many people that would argue that the recorded version is better. The recorded version does not exist in a bubble, many may rate it higher due to their fondness of the live version. I suppose you could (did) say that they...overrate it.
Still, take away the numbers, its not overrated, in reality. Its not talked about in anywhere the same way as Paschendale, which can definitely be considered overrated by those that don't like it. Personally, I love Paschendale.

Back