Iron Maiden Recording Techniques in the Studio

it's deliberate, I think Janick mentioned it in an interview, someone from the band did in one of the interviews before the album.

Let's talk about recording methods used by the band in the studio!

To start off this topic, did Maiden ever use a click track in the studio? Any song? Any album?

So at this talk that I went to at the weekend, Nicko said that the only time he (/the band) has ever used a click track was on the Man of Sorrows. I don't really know anything about recording, so I won't be able to tell you everything he said about that. But the reason seemed to be that Dave Murray turned up with the demo for the song and didn't want to, or couldn't ("he'd had half a bottle of whisky") recreate what he'd done. So they isolated part of the demo and put that on the record, and this meant that they needed to use a click track - does that make any sense?

That makes perfect sense, sometimes a "perfect take" is the one that you least expect i.e a demo recording. My usual approach to recording is to record absolutely everything the artist is doing in the live room, therefore if they play something special that they can't play (or remember) again, I've already got it on "tape".

There's a book called (i think) "Iron Maiden In The Studio", do you guys know if it offers really cool info and details about their actual recording process?

And btw, i'm really proud of this thread at this point because, well...

Attachments

• uggiigyigyyg.png
    uggiigyigyyg.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 21
If there's a biography about Maiden worth reading, we would already know about it. Found The Ultimate Unauthorized History of the Beast in a bookstore (to be honest, that book is everywhere) and just by looking through it I gathered that the pictures could be quite nice to have, but it was honestly translated only marginally better than Google Translate-class...

So at this talk that I went to at the weekend, Nicko said that the only time he (/the band) has ever used a click track was on the Man of Sorrows. I don't really know anything about recording, so I won't be able to tell you everything he said about that. But the reason seemed to be that Dave Murray turned up with the demo for the song and didn't want to, or couldn't ("he'd had half a bottle of whisky") recreate what he'd done. So they isolated part of the demo and put that on the record, and this meant that they needed to use a click track - does that make any sense?
Depending on what part of the song this is, that probably rules out Man of Sorrows being played live. Seemed unlikely anyway.

There were many things used way back (not exactly a modern click) to keep bands in time. Even the Beatles used something in "A day in the life"

Its called a 'Ringo' and a Roadie counting and an Alarm Clock to indicate where the orchestra will go during the basic takes !! :)

There's a book called (i think) "Iron Maiden In The Studio", do you guys know if it offers really cool info and details about their actual recording process?

Read the book and I can't tell you it isn't worth the money and doesn't really offer any news about the recording process

About Maiden and click tracks, on the last tour Nicko used an visual click for the 2/3 of the set. There were also triggered/taped backing vocals on
Powerslave

About Maiden and click tracks, on the last tour Nicko used an visual click for the 2/3 of the set. There were also triggered/taped backing vocals on
Powerslave

Yeah, they were pretty obvious. Those big "ah ah's" during the chorus. Not a big deal, but definitely taped.

A lot of b.s. in this thread regarding Nicko.
The 'time-keeping machine' is in the studio context. They used click tracks when it suited them (Out of the shadows), Nicko's live tempo changes are intentional, Smith wants to play opening riff(s) in the original tempo, the band wants to speed up, so there's a compromise.

Perfect time, far more complicated than original, jazzy, more room everywhere.

Back