Iron Maiden Picture Game

Maybe it's The Red And The Black? "I need somebody to save me".

Not sure how historical that one is though, it seems to be more hypothetical than based anywhere particular in real time.

What is Hades?
Who are they that reach for him?

And it’s a historical war epic. The link is in just one line that appears in what could be considered the chorus or bridge.

The only line I can think of that matches that hint - remotely - is from one of two* long war epics Maiden did - The Longest Day:

But I'm still alive, pray to God I'll survive.

I dismissed that thought at least once before since Hades is the god of the realm of death ... Firstly, the soldiers in Normandy mostly came from the US, UK and France and if they were religious they would with 99% certainty be Christian, so I didn't think of that line referring to "some god of choice". If a soldier did have some other god in mind, I imagine it would've been a more "positive" one and not one ready to welcome him in case he did not survive.

*) Maiden have also done some songs I'd call "short epics" about war - i.e. The Trooper, Aces High, and although long and epic I don't classify AtG as a war epic, it's centered around Alexander's life.

It is none of the songs you mentioned. Additionally, Hades has been setting you on the wrong track, he himself has nothing to do with the song. I used him solely because he is a god and the picture links well to the line I’m thinking of.

And there are longer war epics than “The Longest Day”…

Well, the song in question is among the longest they’ve ever made, so you can start from there.

Spirits cry for a God from the grave?

Maybe I am a bit too narrow-minded as to what is a war epic, I really didn't think of DOTC. And of course I might still be on the wrong track.

Sign of the Cross?

They'll be coming to bring the eternal flame
They'll be bringing us all immortality
Holding communion so the world be blessed
My creator my God, lay my soul to rest

Spirits cry for a God from the grave?

Maybe I am a bit too narrow-minded as to what is a war epic, I really didn't think of DOTC. And of course I might still be on the wrong track.
Bingo! Spirits reaching / crying out to /for Hades, god of the undead, from their “graves” (final resting places).

Your turn!

I'll think for a while. Maybe the idea comes to me while working. If I haven't come up with anything by bedtime I'll pass it to somebody else.

I'll think for a while. Maybe the idea comes to me while working. If I haven't come up with anything by bedtime I'll pass it to somebody else.
OK, go!

skysports-erik-ten-hag-manchester-united_5887807.jpg

I don't follow, who is that guy and why is he a phantom? :huh:
His name is Erik ten Hag (the file name gives you that but even if it didn't you could find it out very quickly using Google Lens ;)). Incidentally a quick Google search reveals that this guy's nickname is "the new sheriff" which could have taken us on a different tangent entirely :D

In the Gaston Leroux novel "The Phantom of the Opera" and the subsequent musical the Phantom character's real name is Erik.

Last edited:
His name is Erik ten Hag (the file name gives you that but even if it didn't you could find it out very quickly using Google Lens ;)). Incidentally a quick Google search reveals that this guy's nickname is "the new sheriff" which could have taken us on a different tangent entirely :D

In the Gaston Leroux novel "The Phantom of the Opera" and the subsequent musical the Phantom character's real name is Erik.

Thank you, knowing next to nothing about football and only being familiar with Maiden's take on Phantom of the Opera I was a bit stumped.

Okay this clue is a direct lyric reference (and should be quite easy because there's only one thing it could really be):

View attachment 24364

For this I'll say Strange World. Stalks of light come from the ground?

Thank you, knowing next to nothing about football and only being familiar with Maiden's take on Phantom of the Opera I was a bit stumped.

For this I'll say Strange World. Stalks of light come from the ground?
Bingo :ok:

The "flowers" in the foreground are actually lights on sticks (you can even see the cables that power them). A Google Lens search on this particular picture suggests it's a popular idea for light-based art installations. This example was part of one that Light Up Trails did at Sir Harold Hillier Gardens in Romsey last month: https://www.in-common.co.uk/2022/12/17/suburban-safariout-of-the-darkness/

There was a similar installation that was part of the 2018 Southampton Festival of Light and I tried to get a picture of that because I immediately thought of setting this puzzle: sadly I couldn't get a shot clear enough that I thought it would make a fair clue :(

Anyway, over to you :)

Back