Adrian Smith #4
Best Band:
Iron Maiden #1
Best Bassist:
Steve Harris #1
Best Composer:
Steve Harris #1

Info: click here
'Senjutsu' and Maiden should have been the winners in all categories. The new Helloween is nice, but very repetitive. 'Senjutsu' is a masterpiece that I don't find repetitive when listening to. That's not really fair from japanese metalheads... :wtf:

Listening to Mark about the Maiden album covers, I wonder if the artist is the one who decides whether to put a background/details in a cover or it is the band's decision? Most likely, Derek is responsible for the rich background of his covers. I think the band has the final say - if they want a background or if they want the artist to make some changes to it.
Good point. Not sure, although I got the feeling from this interview that Steve is very particular about what he wants, with lots of adjustments being made until the picture is considered finished.

*A decent enough top 30 from the Guardian to mark TNOTB's 40th

Funny list, Burning Ambition is in but no Ghost of Navigator, Infinite Dreams, To Tame a Land, Revelations or Prisoner. Post 2000 era gets a healthy representation though which is good.

I was just pointing at an inconsistency: voting a songwriter, and a song by his band, but that he has not written. And TWotW is not in the same league as the Harris' tracks.

Not in the same league but there's a catch; It's in a higher "division" than LIALW & Celts but lower than Parchment & Hell on Earth. Thus yes, not in the same league ;)

*A prime and real life example of the SE Asian phrase "same same but different" :D

Last edited:
^Speaking of which I never -ever saw any close up with any Maiden member pelted with eggs. Always found this a bit odd, in the Internet era.

EDIT: Just saw one. Harris' left shoulder. Sad.

If I remember correctly, after the incident Steve apologised to Ozzy. Bruce obviously have been a dick during the whole tour, but it wasn't too appropriate them apologising either after being pelted withy eggs.

Last edited:
^Speaking of which I never -ever saw any close up with any Maiden member pelted with eggs. Always found this a bit odd, in the Internet era.

EDIT: Just saw one. Harris' left shoulder. Sad.

If I remember correctly, after the incident Steve apologised to Ozzy. Bruce obviously have been a dick during the whole tour, but it wasn't too appropriate them apologising either after being pelted withy eggs.
And cut off the sound several times

The 2020 thing isn't a mistake, as the writer is using the release year of the live album. On Fear of the Dark the author brings up DotR from 2005 and RiR (with an actual mistake, he calls it Live in Rio) from 2002.

That being said, it is worth mentioning that his opinion is wrong and the obviously superior version of The Clansman is indeed on Rock in Rio and certainly not Nights of the Dead.
sorry, my mistake!

I seem to remember in a Metal Hammer feature years back (I could probably find it as I tend to keep all the issues with Maiden on the front) that Steve said the story of him apologising to Ozzy was fabricated.

I was just pointing at an inconsistency: voting a songwriter, and a song by his band, but that he has not written. And TWotW is not in the same league as the Harris' tracks.
It’s not an inconsistency. Iron Maiden is my favorite band, and Seventh Son my fave album of theirs. And yet, Seventh Son is not my all time favorite album.

A German radio station has a series analyzing the most important, influential albums in music history (milestones).

I complained that no Iron Maiden album is included. Lo and behold, they included “Number of the Beast”!
Maybe someone would like to listen to this episode. I don't think anything is said that is something new for a Maiden fan.
But at least their list is a little improved now.

https://avdlswr-a.akamaihd.net/swr/swr1/rp/meilensteine/1630888.m.mp3

Apologies if this is the wrong thread to post this but I'm not able to start a new thread yet. Classic Rock & Metal Hammer have recently released the 3rd edition of their Maiden special. I bought the 2nd Edition and thought it was really well done - great pictures and great input from band members. The blurb on the front says "Every Maiden album in their own words". Except Dance of Death is missing! When the 3rd Edition came out I bought the digital edition and found that DOD wasn't in there either. Does anyone have any idea why it's missing? "Every album" would kind of indicate 'every album' but apparently it's every album except DOD. Weird and disappointing because I'd love to read the band's take on it now.

Back