Iron Maiden News, Links, and Interviews

A decent enough top 30 from the Guardian to mark TNOTB's 40th

Very good choices, although missing Revelations (top 10 Maiden track for yours truly).

Not that surprising though: Alexis Petridis has given them some excellent reviews in the past.

Last edited:
More like what Maiden nerds would have come up with than the Guardian, with only Burning Ambition being an odd pick that you might have expected from the Guardian.

He included some obscure choices in his top 30 Manic Street Preachers songs. He is probably a bit of a connoisseur.

Very good choices, although missing Revelations (top 10 Maiden track for yours truly).

Not that surprising though: Alexis Petridis has given them some excellent reviews in the past.

Nice article but he still made a couple of mistakes. Bruce returned after 6 years (not 7) and as we all know what started to go down in 2020 the version of Sign of the Cross he's referring is probably the 2019 version on Nights of the Dead (Although the RiR version is far superior IMO). I'm just nitpicking though, it's cool to see a Maiden feature in a prominent UK newspaper.

Nice article but he still made a couple of mistakes. Bruce returned after 6 years (not 7) and as we all know what started to go down in 2020 the version of Sign of the Cross he's referring is probably the 2019 version on Nights of the Dead (Although the RiR version is far superior IMO). I'm just nitpicking though, it's cool to see a Maiden feature in a prominent UK newspaper.

You surely mean The Clansman, don’t you? Just nitpicking. ;)

The 2020 thing isn't a mistake, as the writer is using the release year of the live album. On Fear of the Dark the author brings up DotR from 2005 and RiR (with an actual mistake, he calls it Live in Rio) from 2002.

That being said, it is worth mentioning that his opinion is wrong and the obviously superior version of The Clansman is indeed on Rock in Rio and certainly not Nights of the Dead.

New interview with Mark Wilkinson - talks about artworks for Maiden, Marillion, Priest, and others - quite interesting!
Listening to Mark about the Maiden album covers, I wonder if the artist is the one who decides whether to put a background/details in a cover or it is the band's decision? Most likely, Derek is responsible for the rich background of his covers. I think the band has the final say - if they want a background or if they want the artist to make some changes to it.

Japanese BURRN! Awards 2022

Best Album: Senjutsu #2
Best Album Cover:
Senjutsu #2
Best Vocalist:
Bruce Dickinson #3
Best Song:
''The Writing On The Wall'' #4
Best Guitarist:
Adrian Smith #4
Best Band:
Iron Maiden #1
Best Bassist:
Steve Harris #1
Best Composer:
Steve Harris #1

Info: click here

Best Album Cover:
Senjutsu #2
Best Vocalist:
Bruce Dickinson #3
Best Song:
Best Guitarist:
Adrian Smith #4
Best Band:
Iron Maiden #1
Best Bassist:
Steve Harris #1
Best Composer:
Steve Harris #1

Looks like Helloween won the Best Album, Best Song (#1 AND #2), and Best Vocalist (#1 AND #2), but still lost to Maiden in the Best Band category. Interesting.

Best Album Cover:
Senjutsu #2
Best Vocalist:
Bruce Dickinson #3
Best Song:
Best Guitarist:
Adrian Smith #4
Best Band:
Iron Maiden #1
Best Bassist:
Steve Harris #1
Best Composer:
Steve Harris #1

Steve Harris as the best songwriter (something I agree with), but The Writings on the Wall voted the best song ;). I assume the votes were shared between two of the four Harris's songs.

Looks like Helloween won the Best Album, Best Song (#1 AND #2), and Best Vocalist (#1 AND #2), but still lost to Maiden in the Best Band category. Interesting.
It seems Helloween are pretty big in Japan. All of the categories are subjective, but I'm a little disappointed that the cover of Senjutsu is at #2 - the cover of Helloween is great too, but I mean, Eddie is a samurai! And it's better imo.
Steve Harris as the best songwriter (something I agree with), but The Writings on the Wall voted the best song ;). I assume the votes were shared between two of the four Harris's songs.
Most of the songs are the (lead) singles of their respective albums and maybe it's a surprise, but the song is fantastic.

Back