Iron Maiden News, Links, and Interviews

Btw I don't feel like Lars belittled The X Factor in any way. First the question was about recent albums, not the last one. And then he goes on to say that he did not follow his main heavy metal influences since late 80s. Which is completely normal.

He was probably a bit shy to say that he doesn't know the "newer albums".

Also is this the thing where "Lars shat on Iron Maiden in the 90s"? I've always tried to find that out, because I can't believe its true.

Metallica retold a number of Maiden stories but they seem to end in 1986. While the bands shared stage in 1988. Chronologically the last stories are about Lars listening to SiT and Lars playing MoP to Smallwood who liked Sanitarium. A lot of shit happened in 1986 for them. Doesn't mean if Lars doesn't have a story around 1992 Maiden/record that he doesn't like them/it, he just wasn't attached to that thing in that period.

Also Lars helping out Maiden might look bad from Maiden's side because they were still in 1996, a band made out of rich or well off professional musicians running prolonged record deals touring the world. They didn't need help and it could be interpreted as some sort of a jab.

Btw I don't feel like Lars belittled The X Factor in any way. First the question was about recent albums, not the last one. And then he goes on to say that he did not follow his main heavy metal influences since late 80s. Which is completely normal.

It’s 1996. Brucie’s left and we are at the point where 5 guys love what they’re doing. I read it as he means the new era, TXF.

Lars is talking about the past avoiding to touch the quality of music, insisting more on quantitative (10 more minutes) & organizational (best tee shirts) aspects.
Steve tries to bring him back to the present. He seeks feedback on the thing that matters: present tense. Also I feel he wants to know about music quality not tee shirts, ok subjective this is how I read it.
Finally the “Gentlemen, please..” shows there was some kind of tension.

Last edited:
EDIT: Dee told me that after a motorhead concert

I feel I need to repeat that Mikkey Dee was also scratching his head when he heard TXF. He told that to Steve who was quite pissed off,lol!

Last edited:
It’s 1996. Brucie’s left and we are at the point where 5 guys love what they’re doing. I read it as he means the new era, TXF.

Lars is talking about the past avoiding to touch the quality of music, insisting on more organization -oriented aspects.
Steve tries to bring him back to the present. He seeks feedback on the thing that matters: present tense. Also I feel he wants to know about music quality not tee shirts, ok subjective this is how I read it.
Also the “Gentlemen please” shows there were some kind of tension.

[to Lars] I know you were a fan in the early days, but sometimes when you're a fan of the band for a long time you can lose interest a bit. What do you think about the recent years?

Lars, who these days is more likely to listen to Oasis than Iron Maiden, cleverly juggles honesty, tact and diplomacy.

In the late '80s, our horizons really started expanding, so a lot of the harder rock stuff I was listening to got pushed to the side. I've changed a lot over the years. But I remember in '86 having an advance tape of Maiden's Somewhere in Time album and playing it over and over again. I really, really liked it, even though Kerrang! weren't so keen on it.

This is the sauce behind the claim that Lars caved out when asked about The X Factor. The question was not about TXF specifically, he answered in the vain 'I didn't care about listening to new Maiden record since 1987'.

The "Gentlemen please" is in italic and it's insertion/"thoughts" in the text. Nobody said "Gentlemen please" to them live.

If you look at other italics seems like Lars and Steve run small talk in between the questions and the 'interviewer' is yawning and not mentioning any sort of detail they exchange there.

If anything its more of a 'competitive' narrative pushed by the interviewer himself through these remarks in italics.

@Zare

But I remember in '86 having an advance tape of Maiden's Somewhere in Time album and playing it over and over again. I really, really liked it, even though Kerrang! weren't so keen on it.

I see a wink again, something negative. Before the tee shirts and the 10 more minutes, now Kerrang!..
He doesn’t talk about Powerslave there would be no case there, he choses to speak about SIT which is a weaker album so it will work to his favor.

Back