Iron Maiden News, Links, and Interviews

Amazing. I see the forum has moved on from complaining about the band not doing enough press to complaining about how much press they are doing for the album.

As much as I'd love to hear from Jan, Dave, and Steve more, it's just nice to hear and read some lengthy words from parts of the band after so much inactivity during the pandemic.

And I don't think Nicko is crass, he's usually pretty thoughtful in interviews these days. Besides, what would you want him to say? "This album is shit! I liked the last one better!" That kinda defeats the purpose of doing new album press... which is to sell the new album.

I am not complaining about that and you know it. I am complaining about most press being done by Bruce with some little help (from his friends) Adrian and Nicko.

Steve (writing alone) is responsible for half of the album and the only thing we have heard from him is a couple of quotes for Planet Rock?

On a side note, Nicko has thankfully toned down the Jim Davidson “humour”.

Keep the interviews coming, but please add some variety to the interviewees and answers.

Last edited:
He did. There was a recent interview with Adrian in which he mentioned that about the Dickinson songs when discussing the Powerslave material. Bruce can play the guitar competently enough to write songs like those.
Relating to this: I had a good old laugh when the writer for Maiden Revelations (it's a web site) claimed that somehow the very thought that Bruce Dickinson was able to write the song If Eternity Should Fail all by himself, guitar parts and all, was impossible to believe. I wished I'd commented to pointed out the obvious: if IESF is too much for him, then how do you reckon the 80s material like Flash of the Blade came about? Sheer luck? He just described what he'd like to hear and Adrian and Dave interpreted it correctly?

The Pankrement is a nice exception though, I find it beautifully written a clear step up for Steve in my opinion. Also Hell on Earth I like the lyrics, not as much as Pankrement but quite a lot.
Those 2 songs represent what I really search from a song, lyrics and music to bond beautifully together, content-wise and sonically.
As for recent lyrics I would add Tears of a Clown. Sensible and touching.

Relating to this: I had a good old laugh when the writer for Maiden Revelations (it's a web site) claimed that somehow the very thought that Bruce Dickinson was able to write the song If Eternity Should Fail all by himself, guitar parts and all, was impossible to believe. I wished I'd commented to pointed out the obvious: if IESF is too much for him, then how do you reckon the 80s material like Flash of the Blade came about? Sheer luck? He just described what he'd like to hear and Adrian and Dave interpreted it correctly?

Back in the early noughties Bruce was the host of the BBC 6 Music Freak Zone (he had two shows every weekend during the early days of that radio station: the Rock Show - needs no explanation - and the Freak Zone - where you could listen a range of styles from Bruce’s eclectic taste, from the Basque folk of Benito Lertxundi, to Van der Graaf Generator or Kraftwerk). One day he had a guest, a DJ whose name I cannot remember. The guest chose some songs that had influenced him and one was Flash of the Blade. He asked Bruce how he wrote the song and he replied by telling him that the song was not complex and that the guitar riff was something he came up with toying with his guitar one day.

Adrian added some guitars to the instrumental break and the rest is history.

I am not complaining about that and you know it. I am complaining about most press being done by Bruce with some little help (from his friends) Adrian and Nicko.

Steve (writing alone) is responsible for half of the album and the only thing we have heard from him is a couple of quotes for Planet Rock?

On a side note, Nicko has thankfully toned down the Jim Davidson “humour”.

Keep the interviews coming, but please add some variety to the interviewees and answers.
Hopefully the next FC magazine will have interviews with all band members.

Adrian added some guitars to the instrumental break and the rest is history.

That's where the disbelief really comes from, it's effectively an Adrian solo in the middle but most people have interpreted it as a twin guitar harmony section, which if it was that then it's definitely beyond Bruce's capability to write that.

He did. There was a recent interview with Adrian in which he mentioned that about the Dickinson songs when discussing the Powerslave material. Bruce can play the guitar competently enough to write songs like those.
Adrian also said in a recent interview (iirc) that Bruce wrote some of the guitar parts for ''The Writing On The Wall''.

Bruce (and Iron Maiden) on french/german TV channel Arte. :)

He said it is all or nothing at the end. Basically confirming in the most literal way what we already knew (or suspected).

Bloody hell! Good thing it was caught early. Poor Nicko!

Fuck cancer! Fuck it!
Hope everything’s fine now for him, I wish him the best of healths.

Kind of a shock to hear this. Thinking back to Bruce's awful ordeal of course but also to my father who has had exactly this same type of cancer.
Good to learn that also in this field of expertise technology is way more advanced than 20 years ago and that Nicko's prognosis is promising.

Back