Iron Maiden News, Links, and Interviews

I think they will retire from long tours in 5 or 6 years because Nicko. They can still record albums

According to Steve Loopy Newhouse he "knows for a fact" there is "something in place", in the event Nicko can't continue. Not sure exactly what he means by that.

Source:
. (approx. 29 mins in)

He says…one more album with this line-up. Maybe he knows something that we don't but in my opinion I think if Nicko retires from tours (because his health problems), the rest of the guys won't follow without him. Repeat, I think they can still making new music.

I really really hope they don't continue without Nicko. He's such an integral part of their sound.

Having said that, Joe Lazarus (son of fanclub prez Steve Lazarus) would probably do a great job as a fill-in:

I really really hope they don't continue without Nicko. He's such an integral part of their sound.
I don't think they will, at least not for long - what Loopy is alluding to is probably a fallback plan to enable them to complete any extant touring commitments.

I certainly can't imagine Steve continuing without Nicko, not after all these years and the close rapport the two of them have built up. I think Steve would be bereft without Nicko actually. And if Steve doesn't continue, then even if the others did in some form, it wouldn't be Maiden any more. And they all know that.

Anyway, replacing anyone at this stage to continue just for the sake of it would place them squarely in cabaret territory, which is something I'm certain none of them want.

I don't think they will, at least not for long - what Loopy is alluding to is probably a fallback plan to enable them to complete any extant touring commitments.

I certainly can't imagine Steve continuing without Nicko, not after all these years and the close rapport the two of them have built up. I think Steve would be bereft without Nicko actually. And if Steve doesn't continue, then even if the others did in some form, it wouldn't be Maiden any more. And they all know that.

Anyway, replacing anyone at this stage to continue just for the sake of it would place them squarely in cabaret territory, which is something I'm certain none of them want.
If Nicko and the rest of the band are cool with it then I would be. Perhaps Nicko would play on the albums and they would have a touring drummer. Either way I think they can keep their integrity with a lineup change, even at this stage in their career. That being said let's hope Nicko (and the others) stay fit and healthy and can play until the end.

If Nicko and the rest of the band are cool with it then I would be. Perhaps Nicko would play on the albums and they would have a touring drummer. Either way I think they can keep their integrity with a lineup change, even at this stage in their career.
Changing any of the band members will alter the internal chemistry of the band. And this will affect everything, including how the other band members interact with each other. Whoever came in would have to be a full member of the band. And this would lead to an at least subtle change in the musical style/direction. And yes they might do that if they thought they had enough time left to follow it through properly, but I'm not sure everyone who is saying "I hope they continue, even without Nicko" is really ready for that.

The alternative is that the "new boy" tries to be a Nicko clone and generally not rock the boat (even more so if he is just a touring member). Which places us firmly in cabaret territory. I'm sorry, there's no way round this.
That being said let's hope Nicko (and the others) stay fit and healthy and can play until the end.
And so say all of us!

The good news here are that Nicko never wants to stop to play. He's still enjoying and he loves drumming. It's not like the Neal Peart situation. He stopped because the tendinitis I think and he retired for it. He wants to live another chapter in his life far away drumming.

It would be like Jason Bonham with Zepp
Or Wolfgang Van Halen with Van Halen. Or Tom Owen in "Last of the Summer Wine". Yeah, great.

The thing is, they have said that if they ever became a parody of themselves then they would know that it was the time to call it a day. Lining up their offspring to take over would be a pretty good indication that this was starting to happen ...

As much as I don’t want a Nicko-less incarnation of Maiden, I think it’s a stretch to jump straight to calling them a parody if they get younger blood behind the drum stool. Of all the people to replace, the drummer doesn’t write anything and Steve may very well not consider it cabaret territory.

I've looked at the bits of the video where the matter is mentionned, and it seems to me that Loopy and the other guys do mention a more permanent plan. And Bruce has been quite explicit recently about them not wanting to stop and retire at any point. Steve has said at some point that he didn't want them to continue without one of the current members, but this was a long time ago (i.e. before Bruce's cancer) and he also had a replacement plan ready in case one of the guitarists had retired. So... Personnaly, I wouldn't mind them continuing without several of the members.

We are forgetting Rod here. He is the seventh member of the band, He always going with them everywhere but what will happen if he retires? He is the man who make the machine works. he is like a father to them.

Back