Iron Maiden News, Links, and Interviews

Re: New York Times article

"... and hard rockers like AC/DC and Guns N’ Roses have also found renewed success."

AC/DC didn't "find renewed success", they just released another album after an 8 year absence. That's why they were off the radar for so long.

Travis_AKA_fonzbear2000 said:
I thought I've read that none of their albums have full songs that didn't make it to the final album, but it would be sweet to hear whatever was rejected by Steve.

Yes, time and time again, Steve has made reference to only writing enough songs per album.  However, somewhat oddly, there's evidence to suggest otherwise;-

- There were 3 bonus original tracks that were left out from the X-Factor and put out as b-sides for its singles.
- Adrain said in a 2003 intervew that some of the Brave New World tracks were written for VX11.
- Blaze has more or less confirmed that some BNW tracks were written for VX11
- Blaze had made reference to an unreleased Maiden track that was written and called 'Damnation Of The Innocent
- Bruce in 2006 made reference to Maiden considering to release two albums worth of material instead of just AMOLAD.

Of course, maybe not all written 'materail' is actually recorded? :S  That may well be the case given how little time Maiden spend in the actual studio.

Yes, I remember an exact quote from Steve, going something like this: "We only write and record enough songs to fit on the album, nothing more."

As for the VXI leftovers, I always thought those were just ideas or demos. Besides, VXI's total running time is 53 minutes, they had plenty of space to include those BNW songs if they wanted to.

Space, maybe yes.
Time, maybe no.

I understood from Blaze's official biography that the whole thing was a rush. In his view the album might have become better if more time was spent on it. (And TXF took in his opinion very long so for him these albums were very different experiences)

Babo 91 said:
Janick said that he went into the studio with an hours worth of material for the new album. Thats an album by itself.
the door is always open for another Bruce/Janick album.  :shred:

snake plissken said:
Killers is a cracking record.

And I'm sure someone on these forums is going to argue the same for any of the other albums I mentioned.  I hope you got my point though.

Invader said:
And I'm sure someone on these forums is going to argue the same for any of the other albums I mentioned.  I hope you got my point though.

I actually agree with all the others. They all have good moments but also have some real dreary shit going on.

Forostar said:
Space, maybe yes.
Time, maybe no.

I understood from Blaze's official biography that the whole thing was a rush. In his view the album might have become better if more time was spent on it. (And TXF took in his opinion very long so for him these albums were very different experiences)

Where did you manage to get the biography? I tried looking on both Amazon and Blaze's official website, no luck. Does it say anything about the circumstances of Blaze's departure from Maiden?

BTW, here's a very wild theory - maybe Steve had gotten an early heads up from Rod that Bruce was considering returning to Maiden, so he wanted to wrap up the album and the VXI tour as quickly as possible and get Bruce back.

I guess there are tons of unreleased Iron Maiden stuff.  After they retire I hope we get all that stuff released!  :edmetal:

chaosapiant said:
I'm curious as to how you came up with that conclusion.

On the lyrics to the song you see that Steve is clearly pointing out that the 'innocent', 'good' people are getting damned, eliminated by the criminals with a supportive juducial system. That's how I came up with this supposition. Plus, it's one song that bears a lot of TXF mood and composing style. As I always said, Dance Of Death is Bruce era's TXF.

Back