Iron Maiden News, Links, and Interviews

They instead could spend time writing so that Nicko can then go away to work out and practice his parts. He still might need a good amount of takes so they can pull the best parts and comp together a performance. They might even record to a click track to help keep things together and consistent. This could result in Maidens tightest, tidies and most thought out album in years.
Or they will just go „fuck it” and do it as it is to catch that live magic.

Or they will just go „fuck it” and do it as it is to catch that live magic.
The same "live magic" that results in literal mistakes, like one of the guitars changing chords a couple of measures too early, switching to the earlier chord in the next measure and then finally playing the expected change in the measure afterwards after the second chorus in TBOS? :D

The same "live magic" that results in literal mistakes, like one of the guitars changing chords a couple of measures too early, switching to the earlier chord in the next measure and then finally playing the expected change in the measure afterwards after the second chorus in TBOS? :D

greta-how-dare-you.gif

If this is the chord that I think you are talking about, it does create an interesting harmonisation. Something that Maiden often lack in recent times!

This is a rare studio video showing Adrian's reaction to the drums during album #18 (probably).

Not sure what your point is here. Mistakes can be made in any recording style, are you suggesting that recording live makes them miss the fact that a mistake has been made?

Not sure what your point is here. Mistakes can be made in any recording style, are you suggesting that recording live makes them miss the fact that a mistake has been made?
Yes, I'm suggesting that their current approach is not anywhere close to being as methodical as they used to be in the 80s. You wouldn't hear stuff like that on Powerslave or SSOASS.

Yes, I'm suggesting that their current approach is not anywhere close to being as methodical as they used to be in the 80s. You wouldn't hear stuff like that on Powerslave or SSOASS.

So it's being methodical which is the issue, not recording as a band.

Dickinson, a history graduate, is acutely aware of how far things have slid backwards in recent years. “If you look at a map of Europe now, it more closely resembles 1914 than it does 2024,” he argues.

No wonder he only got a 2:2 for his degree! :lol:

Dickinson, a history graduate, is acutely aware of how far things have slid backwards in recent years. “If you look at a map of Europe now, it more closely resembles 1914 than it does 2024,” he argues.

I feel a little bit offended by that. I mean - in 1914 my country vanished from maps for some time... so yeah. It is almost like today, sure Bruce.

So it's being methodical which is the issue, not recording as a band.
Those aren't mutually exclusive. Mistakes like that are more apparent when you record instruments individually. When you record all at the same time I can see them turning a blind eye on a mistake that they might deem minor enough, as to not spend the time recording another take. Those things go hand in hand.

I think Bruce may have meant 1984 borders more resembles 1914 than 2024.

As otherwise it makes no sense to say now doesnt resemble 2024

Those aren't mutually exclusive. Mistakes like that are more apparent when you record instruments individually. When you record all at the same time I can see them turning a blind eye on a mistake that they might deem minor enough, as to not spend the time recording another take. Those things go hand in hand.

They could punch in the right chords on the guitar track you mentioned in about 2 seconds, I reckon the chords were either on purpose to begin with, or they thought it sounded good.

I think Bruce may have meant 1984 borders more resembles 1914 than 2024.

As otherwise it makes no sense to say now doesnt resemble 2024

He was talking about now, not 1984, and yes, I agree with you that it does not make any sense at all.

Yes, I also racked my brains as to what that meant. Perhaps it's more that he sees the world in 2024 in a dangerous situation that reminds him of 1914?

Well, as long as he doesn't get a French passport soon and then rave about what a good idea border-free travel and the possibility of settling in any EU country is. :D

They could punch in the right chords on the guitar track you mentioned in about 2 seconds, I reckon the chords were either on purpose to begin with, or they thought it sounded good.
They were definitely not on purpose, since they never played it that way in the live version. It's literally a mistake. One guitar plays the wrong suspended power chord two measures too early, while the other rhythm guitar and Steve play the correct notes (the third guitar plays lead). And it's just one of various oversights on TBOS and Senjutsu.

We don't have to defend every single thing. Maiden had entirely different standards in the 80s. It's more than fait to compare them against the standards they themselves have set. We are talking about one of the biggest bands of all time, not some small indie band.

I'm not defending everything that Maiden do, I'm challenging the idea that the reason people aren't getting the sound on albums that they imagine would sound great, is not because of some moral failing from Maiden, but because Maiden don't want to sound the way some fans want them to..

I personally would prefer a Powerslave/Seventh Son sound, but if it's a choice between sounding like Maiden do now, or a Sneap or Accept/Saxon generic sound then I'll pick Maiden's current sound because while it's not perfect at least they sound original.

I'm not defending everything that Maiden do, I'm challenging the idea that the reason people aren't getting the sound on albums that they imagine would sound great, is not because of some moral failing from Maiden, but because Maiden don't want to sound the way some fans want them to..

I personally would prefer a Powerslave/Seventh Son sound, but if it's a choice between sounding like Maiden do now, or a Sneap or Accept/Saxon generic sound then I'll pick Maiden's current sound because while it's not perfect at least they sound original.
No one's talking about "moral failings". I simply pointed out literal mistakes that could easily be avoided. Also, why do we need to go to the Sneap extreme, when that's entirely irrelevant to the discussion?

I'm judging Maiden by their own standards not by what I want them to sound like. If it were to me they'd sound like Invincible Shield but with Nicko's drum sound, but that's not what I mentioned in my previous comments, nor is that in any relevant. I'm talking about performance, not production. They can keep the current production, but it is undeniable that the last couple of albums have literal mistakes, that aren't part of their artistic vision. Or do you think the solos (I think Dave's?) on the second disc of Senjutsu are clipping on purpose?

Again, talking purely about performances, not about the sound. I don't want a new Maiden album to sound like Powerslave or SSOASS. I want them to give the same care and effort to a new album as they used to back then (or BNW to AMOLAD for that matter which are more recent and realistic examples).

Back