Iron Maiden & Killers

:eek: I am not alone on this island :bigsurprise:
I'm big on 22 Acacia Avenue too. That one gets a bunch more praise from what I've seen, but still an overlooked gem. Love the chorus in it!

Charlotte's guitar parts are pretty unique to me, they layer so nicely together, and that bass line has to be one of Steve's best.

Iron Maiden's with the counterpoint going on there is also one of my favorite highlights. These albums continue to get play from me, at least a few times a week.

I love the midsection of Charlotte the most as the bass lines are fantastic and the melodies are beautiful. Great song and gets played from me a lot too. 22 Acacia ave is awesome and better than half the crap on that album NOTB :D

The thing about it is, I like the songs, I like the music, I just don't like Dianno. He just doesn't fit Maiden to me and if my understanding of the bands history is correct, Steve thought he didn't fit either. Of course, I may very well be wrong.
At first i did not like the albums because of the voice. I was really anti the first 2 albums and i reffused to listen to them.

Ultimately i guess it all comes down to public perception. Pretty much everyone got into Maiden through the Dickinson stuff, so that sound is what most people associate with Maiden, and rightly so.

Maybe what you should do, and it worked for me, is to listen to those 2 albums having in mind that they represent another sound, you know? Don't compare then to any Dickinson album or whatever, because albums are little universes on their own, they're not meant to be compared.

Hope it works for you, because after all right now you're missing on 2 great albums :S

To my ears, Bruce has bettered Dianno on most songs from the first two albums and its clear that the debut album is seriously let down by its production.
So, in most instances, I prefer live versions of those early songs with Bruce, as opposed to the original studio albums.

There are some exceptions though such as Prowler and Sanctuary.

And then, there is the issue of Strange World and Twilight Zone. Two of my favourite tracks in Maiden catalogue.....And of course, I find myself having to listen to the original Dianno versions, as I believe Bruce has never performed these?

You're welcome. Here a larger portion of the show:
There might be a lot out there, waiting to be discovered!

Check this out:
Bruce started to play live with Maiden on 26-10-1981. Some songs from The Number of the Beast were already played in 1981, before the band went into the studio! Here is an extensive list of songs played (and not played) live: click

Topics on albums (and songs) can be found on the Commentary Forum section.

Makes me wonder who takes the time to do this kind of research. Really dedicated fans :notworthy:

Hi Forostar, thanks very much for those YouTube links of Bruce singing those early Dianno tracks!
Shame there's a lack of official releases for these performances.

I guess one day we may get a live release of the Early Days tour from 2005, but as we know, there were many Dianno era tracks not covered on that tour.
I guess the best we can hope for is a boxset one day with such gems...

Pre-Di'Anno live material would also be welcome. According to Maiden77, a FB-page run by someone who claims to be in contact with Dennis Wilcock, and other old members:

- - - - - - posted on 2 January 2015 ----
People often ridicule the original members saying they contributed nothing to Iron Maiden success but the list below shows that by the time Dennis and Terry left in 1978 most of the first two albums had been written. The Music and lyrics had been written and contributed to by Paul Day, Dennis Willcock, Dave Sullivan, Terry Rance, Bob Sawyer, Terry Wapram, Ron Mathews, Barry Purkis and Tony Moore.. Did Steve and Dave Murray write the songs alone the answers is no.. as confirmed by several ex members that we have talked to so far hopefully full details of who wrote what will become clear in 2015
The Ides of March (Killers)
Drifter (Killers)
Sanctuary (Metal for Muthas) (US Iron Maiden)
Prowler (Iron Maiden)
Another life (Killers)
Prodigal Son (Killers)
Transylvania (Iron Maiden)
Strange World (Iron Maiden)
Floating (Purgatory)
Wrathchild (Killers)
Phantom of the Opera (Iron Maiden)
Charlotte (Iron Maiden)
The Pit (Became Innocent Exile) (Killers)
Iron Maiden (Iron Maiden)
all played in 1978.......

- - - - - -

Most remarkable is the inclusion of Prodigal Son! This was the only one from the Di'Anno-era albums that was seen as a never played song.
Here setlist information from 2 gigs (new info, to me at least, in red):

- - - - - -
Iron Maiden Set list 4/4/1978 (posted: 2 January 2015)
The Ides of March
Drifter
Sanctuary
Prowler
Another life
Prodigal Son
Transylvania
Strange World
Floating (Purgatory)
Wrathchild
Phantom of the Opera
Charlotte
The Pit (Became Innocent Exile)
Iron Maiden

Some comments underneath:
-Maiden77: Steve Harris owns this recording i'm afraid
-Maiden77: The Ides was from a Tony Moore keyboard part as Dennis remembers but the drums and bass were added by Barry and Steve Maiden just had lawyers and Barry didn't
-someone else called Bladimir Metalclep:
I think this show was on April 8th and not 4th, at The Bridge House in Canning Town. Line up for this show Dennis Willcock, Barry Purkis, Steve Harris & Dave Murray. Those April shows at The Bridge House were profesionally recorded and some tracks were edited on vinyl. I got a double LP with Filthy McNasty, Roll Ups and Remus Down Boulevard.
10428555_10205536312678135_3321940684120339523_n.jpg

- - - - - -

- - - - - -
Line up and set list Saturday 18th June 1977 (posted: 2 January 2015)
Line up Dave Murray, Dennis Willcock, Steve Harris, Bob Sawyer, Ron Mathews
Ive Got The Fire
Drifter
Sanctuary
Prowler
Burning Ambition
Another Life
Transylvania
Strange World
Floating
Charlotte
Wrathchild
Iron Maiden

At the Teviot Festival Highway Road in Time was also played as part of the set.

- - - - - -

Last edited:
Had no idea Twilight Zone was played with Bruce live. Cool find!

Back