Iron Maiden in the classroom...

Sometimes I wish that Bruce would take over my lesson when I'm talking about history in my class. Yes, I enjoy teaching it but I would love to see Bruce teach a class about World War I or World War II history. It would be even better to co-teach a class with Bruce.

It's not letting me upload the photo.. but My bassist who's in high school still sent me a photo of his homework. It lists the lyrics to Alexander the Great then asks questions based on the lyrics. But I'll summarize it.

Directions! After listening to Iron Maiden's "Alexander the Great" answer the following questions.

Question 1: Who was Alexander the greats father?

Question 2: Where was he born??

And so on..

It's not letting me upload the photo.. but My bassist who's in high school still sent me a photo of his homework. It lists the lyrics to Alexander the Great then asks questions based on the lyrics. But I'll summarize it.

Directions! After listening to Iron Maiden's "Alexander the Great" answer the following questions.

Question 1: Who was Alexander the greats father?

Question 2: Where was he born??

And so on..
I can't wait to start teaching history! :D I love teaching spoken English, and its a lot of fun but I want to be a history teacher someday. I plan on earning my Masters Degree soon. There will be all kinds of Maiden related history topics in my class!

Bringing my thread back. I have been busy inserting Maiden quotes into lessons.

My head of Year group (who is going for the O2 with me) keeps coming into my tutor group sessions and speaking to the class but keeps throwing in Maiden quotes. The latest ones include:

‘Just checking no one is wasting their years in here’

‘Today is another Great Unknown’

(Our theme of the week is running and exercise)’There is a certain Loneliness that Long Distance runners muat gre t over’.

I am sat at my desk laughing away and my kids are so confused.

I haven't had a chance yet to talk about Iron Maiden during my lessons these days but I will be playing "Out of the Shadows" on our school radio station tomorrow

I usually make a reference to The Number of the Beast (666) when explaining how to convert decimal numbers to binary... :D

It’s been a while since I have updated everyone about getting Iron Maiden into my lessons.

Since I last posted, I have a new job teaching music in a number of primary schools. A head teacher and I were designing the music curriculum. He likes to link it to the topics that the class were studying. E.g. Year 5 are studying the Greeks in the summer term. By the end of the meeting, I swear he was getting fed up of me saying ‘I know an Iron Maiden song I can play them for this topic!’

I got Flight of Icarus on the listening list for the Greeks and Talisman for Oceans!

It’s been a while since I have updated everyone about getting Iron Maiden into my lessons.

Since I last posted, I have a new job teaching music in a number of primary schools. A head teacher and I were designing the music curriculum. He likes to link it to the topics that the class were studying. E.g. Year 5 are studying the Greeks in the summer term. By the end of the meeting, I swear he was getting fed up of me saying ‘I know an Iron Maiden song I can play them for this topic!’

I got Flight of Icarus on the listening list for the Greeks and Talisman for Oceans!
Here's hoping to some future Maiden fans as a result!

We had to do an English assignment on writers, I chose Samuel Taylor Coleridge and I used ROTAM as an example of how it helped inspire pop culture/music/etc.

Back in 7th grade my class had to do a performance in school in honour of Hungary's national day of October 23th. The teacher asked me to choose music for the performance. There was a scene when we had a Hungarian flag in our hands and on the opposite side there were others with soviet flags in their hands, and we "fought" with the flags. Of course, The Trooper immediately popped in my mind, so when the "fight" broke out, Trooper started in the background. I was pretty happy about it, I mean all the school listened to Maiden because of me. :D After the performance a teacher who I didn't know came to me and asked if I was the one, who decided about the music. I said yes, and then she started to speak about how big of a fan she is, and she even saw them live multiple times. I was in shock, because you would never guess it by her appearance. :D

Many years ago we had to tell about our favorite music, tell a little about the biography and play a song. I did Maiden with The Number Of The Beast. Afterwards the teacher told me about Coleridge and Rime Of The Ancient Mariner. Offcourse I allready knew this. Got an 8 out of 10. :cool:

My younger nephew who was in the same school learned about the book Revelations during Religion. The lyrics of TNOTB were printed in the book, I gave a tape with TNOTB to the Religion teacher and he played it during lessons.

Last edited:
In English class I did a presentation on William Blake and played King In Crimson for the class. Also did a presentation on Moby Dick and played Old Thunder.

I delivered my lesson today with the Year 5 class who are studying Greek Mythology. I played them the live version of Flight of Icarus from the LOTB tour. They loved it! The collective 'Woah' when they saw Bruce's flamethrower was great!
So now they have a pretty good idea of what "Greek fire" is.
Well done.

My daughter has been reading a book about Icarus at school. She would probably like the LOTB video; she was humming Flight of Icarus the other day but I did mot want to interrupt her enjoyment with a lecture on Greek mythology! :lol:

I had a teacher who had his hair so long as Bruce had in the 80’s. We asked him if it was okay if we called him Maiden, but we were never allowed to do that (and yes, he liked Maiden up until Seventh son)

Back