Iron Maiden in the classroom...

Ascendingthethrone

Ancient Mariner
Evening all,

This is my new thread to document the times I manage to sneak Iron Maiden references into the classroom. I am a music and history teacher in England and a massive Maiden fan. Therefore, there are perfect opportunities to educate people in the way of the Maiden.

Recent attempts.

Walked into a practice room where a kid was playing a crotchet beat on the bass drum and I burst into "WHITE MAN CAME, ACROSS THE SEA..." as loud as I could.

Demonstrating guitar chords to a group and one girl responded, "Sir when she comes back we are going to have 3 guitars. That won't work". My response, "You obviously have never heard of Iron Maiden then!" and busted out a rendition of the Trooper on the guitar.

Using the ending of TBOS to demonstrate thick musical textures to 9 year olds!

You have to find little ways to make yourself laugh even if the kids have no idea what is going on.

I will keep you posted!

My history teacher payed me a dollar to burn him an Iron Maiden cd. Thats about it for me.

i work on a college campus with a lot of interns and student workers in my office. i'm just known as the guy who blasts maiden, jesus and mary chain, and phish out of his office. that's all i got.

Nice. My English teacher was the one who introduced me to Maiden by making references all the time. These classes were pure gold, so many great memories.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm going to play some Maiden in my class during our Halloween presentations next month. It will probably be If Eternity Should Fail. I also had Wasted Years played on the school loudspeakers during my birthday. I'd play the entire song but I'm also going to teach my students a little about the history of such as Transylvania and Vlad the Impaler. I should play Iron Maiden's Transylvania while talking about him.

Last edited:
If you're going to call it 'If Eternety Should Fail', I'm personally going to make you fail English class eternelly. <_<

It's 1:36 AM here in China so I'm a bit tired. My classes are not that early but all I need is strong coffee, some bread, and Gatorade and I'm good to go. I would teach earlier lessons but they have dictations and reading classes before my lessons.

Speaking of classes, I better get some sleep because though I don't have to get up early, I'm damned tired! I have some classes tomorrow but I'll be good to go after some strong coffee, breakfast and Maiden before class! :bigsmile:

I had a Music Technology class in high school and our goal for the term was to compose and record an entire piece using only a keyboard and computer patches. During the first week, he asked everyone to bring in 1 song that was similar to what they hoped to accomplish throughout the class and we would listen to and analyze everyone's choice.

I brought in Symphony X's "The Odyssey".

Couldn't tell if my teacher was more impressed that I was listening to such complex music or annoyed that my song alone took up half of his class period.

In History today we were discussing the Catholic Church (part of the topic for the term). I said something along these lines. "They did attack groups that disagreed with them. There was a group called the Cathers in France. They lived in a placed called Monstegur. After they were attacked there was literally blood on the stones of the citadel".

Back