Iron Maiden - artworks with Eddie

I don't like the idea of use the back cover as a double album cover. I like continuation like The Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind, Powerslave, Live After Death, Somewhere in Time or Seventh Son of a Seventh Son . Since then I think they must to continue with this idea

I don't like the idea of use the back cover as a double album cover. I like continuation like The Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind, Powerslave, Live After Death, Somewhere in Time or Seventh Son of a Seventh Son . Since then I think they must to continue with this idea

I found the idea of double album cover very refreshing just I didn't like the back Eddie that much.

Piece of Mind & LAD they were gatefold ones so that made sense. Powerslave, there was no continuation, but something way smarter, POV taken from the front cover, see below. For TNotB, SiT & SSoaSS there was continuation but there were packaged in standard sleeve, which contradicts the idea of image continuation.

NPftD was an artistic shift in all fronts anyway and from FotD onwards we are entering the CD era thus continuation wasn't necessity anymore.

There was a kind of continuation in BNW & TBOS though. AMOLAD is a close up on a detail of front cover, without the zombie soldier which is kind of cool too.

cover1.jpg

I just realized something:

Of all album covers, BNW Eddie is the only one that we can't find in full form. Not even in the LOTB game.

- for SSOASS, we have the poster for the album tour (never used as a walk-on Eddie live!):

ssoass.jpg

- for TXF, we have the back cover of the album ... and it was used as a walk-on Eddie live.

*VXI Eddie was also not used as a walk-on Eddie live (it was Ed Hunter Eddie), but we can find his full form in the LOTB game.

If Maiden are going to use artworks with Eddie for more songs of Senjutsu live as a backdrops (like for TBOS tour) --->

I really want to see an artwork of Samurai Eddie on a horse! (for a future live album will be perfect :yey:). I like the non-Eddie backdrops a lot too.

Let's try to guess the backdrops for all songs from the album (if they play the whole album live, ofc):

Senjutsu - the artwork from the gatefold.
Stratego - the cover of the single (it will be similar to the backdrop for TRATB ).
The Writing On The Wall - the cover of the single (or the four riders).
Lost In A Lost World - this could be a non-Eddie backdrop. They can use the snake artwork from the booklet.
Days Of Future Past - a Samurai castle? (without Eddie).
The Time Machine - only an artwork of a time machine, I guess (with/out Eddie standing near it).
Darkest Hour - maybe one of the Akirant artworks of Eddie with the bow & knife. Samurai Eddie on a horse will be great for this song too.
Death Of The Celts - Mark Wilkinson's artwork of the Samurai Eddie in the forest is the best fit for this song (with green lights live on stage).
The Parchment - only a parchment or Samurai Eddie reading it will be so cool.
Hell On Earth - maybe a non-Eddie backdrop again. An image of destruction?

*btw, I wonder if they will use different backdrops for the 3 songs during the album tour from the ones for LOTB 2022... I doubt, because the backdrop for ''El Dorado'' was the same in 2010 and in 2011.

About the stage set, I think it would be cool to see a couple of the Senjutsu flags (the ones in the gatefold artwork) above the drums.

Last edited:
Senjutsu - the artwork from the gatefold.
Stratego - the cover of the single (it will be similar to the backdrop for TRATB ).
The Writing On The Wall - the cover of the single (or the four riders).
Lost In A Lost World - this could be a non-Eddie backdrop. They can use the snake artwork from the booklet.
Days Of Future Past - a Samurai castle? (without Eddie).
The Time Machine - only an artwork of a time machine, I guess (with/out Eddie standing near it).
Darkest Hour - maybe one of the Akirant artworks of Eddie with the bow & knife. Samurai Eddie on a horse will be great for this song too.
Death Of The Celts - Mark Wilkinson's artwork of the Samurai Eddie in the forest is the best fit for this song (with green lights live on stage).
The Parchment - only a parchment or Samurai Eddie reading it will be so cool.
Hell On Earth - maybe a non-Eddie backdrop again. An image of destruction?

Personally, as I've often expressed here, I really the landscape type of backdrops that kind of blend in and/or expand and add depth to the stage set! Single covers and other Eddie stuff is alright when when i's done really well; TBOS backdrops were all brilliant, for example, and I think the icy versions of classic single covers on Maiden England tour were nice touch! :)

Anyway, about the bolded ones, given their subject matter, I think that incorporating a samurai (or snake symbols, for that matter) to the backdrops would be slightly "inappropriate." :p

If The Writing on the Wall will get a backdrop of it's own, I think the tower from the video & poster would do fine. In my opinion, that single cover just wouldn't look that great as a backdrop and if they're going to do something related to the video, there's plenty of other visual elements to dig into and rearrange them to a much more effective backdrop.

But yeah, we'll see! I don't think every new song will have a backdrop of it's own. There's probably 1-2 backgrounds that are featured on the Senjutsu portion of the LOTB set and next year.

Personally, as I've often expressed here, I really the landscape type of backdrops that kind of blend in and/or expand and add depth to the stage set! Single covers and other Eddie stuff is alright when when i's done really well; TBOS backdrops were all brilliant, for example, and I think the icy versions of classic single covers on Maiden England tour were nice touch! :)

Anyway, about the bolded ones, given their subject matter, I think that incorporating a samurai (or snake symbols, for that matter) to the backdrops would be slightly "inappropriate." :p

If The Writing on the Wall will get a backdrop of it's own, I think the tower from the video & poster would do fine. In my opinion, that single cover just wouldn't look that great as a backdrop and if they're going to do something related to the video, there's plenty of other visual elements to dig into and rearrange them to a much more effective backdrop.

But yeah, we'll see! I don't think every new song will have a backdrop of it's own. There's probably 1-2 backgrounds that are featured on the Senjutsu portion of the LOTB set and next year.
The landscape type of backdrops are great, yeah.

The snake symbol was a bad guess, but the backdrop for DOG was also slightly inappropriate, for example. I think they just want to use as much as possible artworks with Eddie for the new songs. I'm sure they will use artwork with Eddie for DOTC. For Darkest Hour, maybe it's 50/50.

I agree that the tower from the video & poster would be a good backdrop for TWOTW. It's either that or the rider/s.

For TBOS, only 2 songs were with the same backdrop, so maybe they will not use a different backdrop for every new song.

The 5 riders from TWOTW video - Killers, Powerslave, Somewhere In Time, Dance Of Death and The Book Of Souls Eddies.

5 riders from TWOTW video.jpg

In fact, without Powerslave Eddie, these Eddies (and AMOLAD Eddie) are the only Eddies with weapons. And Senjutsu Eddie too.

For TBOS, only 2 songs were with the same backdrop, so maybe they will not use a different backdrop for every new song.
^ Speaking of the backdrops for TBOS tour, @Randalf did you know this curious fact:

TBOS tour and WST are the only tours in which 4 (or more) songs in a row have the same backdrop - IESF, SOL, Wrathchild, COTD (2017 leg) / Aces High, 2MTM, Trooper, Revelations, FOI (1984-1985).

Artwork for a live/video album from every album IMO:

Senjutsu - Eddie on a horse (or on top of a wall) with details like castle, wall, army and lawn.
TBOS - Eddie with a spear in front of a Mayan pyramid in a jungle setting (or only Eddie in front of a Mayan pyramid). Or Eddie looking at a book (of souls) on a table with torches.
TFF - inside view of Eddie piloting his spaceship... (way better than the copy RIR cover).
AMOLAD - a closer look of soldier Eddie on the battlefield (like this one).
DOD - Eddie sitting on a throne in a dark castle. Death On The Road is great too.
BNW - Cloud Eddie in full-length in the sky/clouds with thunder in one hand.
VXI - Eddie in full-length in a virtual/fantasy world with a big landscape.
TXF - Eddie in full-length in a dark room.
FOTD - the bat Eddie is great, but maybe Derek's unfinished artwork would be a good fit.
NPFTD -
SSOASS - Eddie in full-length coming out of icebergs. Or Eddie made of ice.
SIT - Eddie and his ship on a unknown planet.
Powerslave - Live After Death is perfect, but Eddie inside a pyramid will be great too.
POM -
TNOTB - Eddie in hell, surrounded by lava, I guess.
Killers -
Iron Maiden -

*for NPFTD, POM, Killers and Iron Maiden - I can't think of any atm.

Now I just have to draw them all. :lol:

Last edited:
Has Herve done a single good design during his tenure with Maiden? I've seen better fan art.
I quoted you here, because this is the more appropriate thread.

As for the question - yep, loads of great event shirts and his covers for ''Empire Of The Clouds'' single and Maiden England 2013 DVD are awesome imo.

I agree that there are a lot of great fan art.
Read Iron Maiden, No Prayer for the Dying, The X Factor, Virtual XI, Dance of Death, The Final Frontier...
I quoted you here, because this is the more appropriate thread.

Better than some album artworks and you pointed out Iron Maiden, The X Factor, Virtual XI and even No Prayer For The Dying? I don't think I've seen a better artworks for these albums.

Maiden's best artists always will be Derek, Mark and Melvyn imo. It's not a surprise that they are the only artists used for more than one album cover.

Maiden's best artists always will be Derek, Mark and Melvyn imo. It's not a surprise that they are the only artists used for more than one album cover.
You forgot to mention Mark Wilkinson. Because he did more than one album artwork. He worked several times for Maiden. He did the covers for Live At Donington, the singles The Wicker Man and Out Of The Silent Planet, the design for the Eddie's Archives box and the artworks for The Book Of Souls plus Senjutsu.

Looking back at the great backdrop for WED live from ''Legacy'' tour, I really want a backdrop/artwork with Eddie in a snowy landscape - the song that will fit is SIASL (hope we'll hear it live again). Just imagine the Cyborg Eddie (with the coat from the single cover) wandering through a snowy land/mountains... perfect!

Also Cyborg Eddie isn't used enough for backdrops (probably because they don't play most of the songs from the album). It was used only for the backdrop of ''Wasted Years'' (in 2016/2017), for the backdrop of a few songs from SBIT tour (in 2008) and for the backdrop of ''Heaven Can Wait'' (in 1992). One of the best Eddies of all time, without a doubt.

On the (tour merch) shirt with the Senjutsu album cover, the background is light green. It looks pretty good too, maybe even better than the original...

Attachments

• sj.jpg
    sj.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 20
Back