IRON MAIDEN ALBUMS SURVIVOR: POWERSLAVE WINS

Satisfied?

• Total voters
HCW is overlong and has what may be the worst Maiden chorus. The intro is cool though. Only weak song on SIT.

I know my top 2 of this group of albums, and I know my #5. I'm not sure about #3 and #4, so I can only vote for the inferior, and overrated, (compared to most of the albums already eliminated) Piece of Mind.

I've been apsent for few weeks and this happened: X Factor is above Dance of Death, Books of Souls is 7th and only reunion album left is A Matter of Life and Death. Oh, the humanity...

What's the stupidity with synth guitars being a 'failed experiment'? That doesn't reflect on sound at all. If you knew what you're talking about, you'd know that in '86 they used string MIDI controllers and in '88 key MIDI controllers. Both were hooked at generic Roland sound banks at the time. You can find Keeney's story how they hunted down a replacement sampler/sound-bank while on tour in USA.

You're all free to choose whatever you like. If you don't like Somewhere In Time, then vote against it. Drawing failed conclusions from incomplete set or facts or just being overall subjective to the matter, like actually comparing post-2000 'repetition' to some choruses of the 1980s. Which is frankly complete stupidity, and we can be empirical about it and analyze how many seconds/minutes are copy-pasted in a song such as For The Greater Good Of God against same at Seventh Son. The fact that there are minutes of copypasta inside some post-2000 songs won't change your mind, so at least stop making fools of yourselves.

Copypasta > copy & paste

Kind Police Cook Hot Pasta For Elderly Couple Heard Crying In Their Apartment

http://www.bravotv.com/blogs/police-cook-pasta-for-elderly-couple-heard-crying

nintchdbpict000257691762.jpg
personal-space-rome-couple.jpg

Geddit? "Coppy" pasta :ninja:

The interface/instrument you use to control midi makes a huge difference. Otherwise, drummers who play electronic drums could just play on a computer-keyboard, for example. But also apart from that, soundwise 7th Son is better + less dated.

The dated thing I get, and agree with.

Your analogy does not stand, but we can continue MIDI discussion somewhere else. I still know the protocol and capabilities by heart, I used to implement it on engineering level. A single drum pad implementation needs several combinations of different messages to be sent to interface depending where and how the user hits it. This cannot be done on a computer keyboard, cause you don't have pressure sensing or position tracking.

The only difference is that they tried to play keyboard pads themselves (Harris/Smith) via MIDI pickups, which is a nightmare to do live. Then they relegated that to Keeney the tour after. However none of these things affect the sound, the pad stuff on both SiT and SSOASS is so simple it could've been sequenced via an 8-hole MIDI flute. Let's not get into this discussion cause it doesn't matter; I picked on the detail that guitar synths are to be blamed for the sound of pads on SiT. Which is false, that's a production/sample bank thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll point to the same statement I've made a couple of times before regarding other albums/bands:

I don't get why being "dated" is a bad thing. It's a reflection of its era. Is being "dated" a bad thing for ancient artifacts?

If those artifacts sound like Somewhere in Time, then yes.

That doesn't answer my question. It's fine to dislike SIT. But I don't get why being "dated" is one of those reasons.

I'm glad things get "dated" and become reflections of the period of time they were created in. One of my biggest beefs with current music production is that it lacks distinct characteristics. Most late 2000s stuff and current stuff sound the same production wise, and that's not desirable for me. There's a distinct 60s sound you can point to. There's a distinct 70s sound you can point to. 80s, 90s, the same. Even early 2000s to a certain extent. But you cannot point to a 2000s and 2010s sound. They lack the unique characteristics.

Last edited:
I dont dislike the album (even though I've been voting for it for quite a while) and I'm sorta with ye on the 'dated' sound. It isnt necessarily a bad thing. To me, all their albums have a unique sound (for better or worse) but SiT has that extra synthy element to it and maybe its a love/hate kinda thing.

Maybe some people prefer to look at a Mayan temple as opposed to an Ancient Greek one. Both old as fuck, both things a great beauty. To me their all dated really, I just prefer some dates to others.

I feel the same as Flash. Dated is good. Doesn't matter a flying f**k when someone happens to like music from a certain time. That said, the term timeless can be a difficult one.

I aim to please, Jazz.

I also have no problem with stuff sounding of its time. Im not a mega fan of the sound of SiT, not because its dated, simply because I just dont dig it as much as albums with less synth. And cos its dated as fuck.

Back