I'm Starting from Powerslave

Well, he said "if interested". It could have been well meant additional information, which might have nothing to do with your point.

Precisely, Foro. I only meant that it could provide amusement, entertainment or illumination for those who read it - not that it necessarily had anything to do with anything else.

Furthermore, seely's "point" in the bit I quoted appeared, to me, to be asking what bands have recorded 13+ minute songs. Having provided a partial answer to that in the past, I directed him there. What "point" am I missing? Just because seely also made other "points" which I did not address doesn't mean I missed the boat here.

SinisterMinisterX said:
Precisely, Foro. I only meant that it could provide amusement, entertainment or illumination for those who read it - not that it necessarily had anything to do with anything else.

Furthermore, seely's "point" in the bit I quoted appeared, to me, to be asking what bands have recorded 13+ minute songs. Having provided a partial answer to that in the past, I directed him there. What "point" am I missing? Just because seely also made other "points" which I did not address doesn't mean I missed the boat here.
My 'point' was rhetoric. Few bands can really consider doing a 13 minute track of that ambition, let alone that quality, when they are at such an early stage in their career (Their debut only came out 4 years beforehand), and it's impressive that they could do it.

My point seems to have been completely twisted and distorted, but never mind  ::)

Sorry, man.  You're talking nonsense.  Progressive rock and prog metal bands do that stuff all the time.  I don't think you will find many people on this board who disagree with the thesis that "Rime of the Ancient Mariner is an impressive and awesome piece of music".  However, we also can't put it on a pedestal and say it is truly unique.

For instance, Dante's Inferno, 16 minute long, was on Burnt Offerings.  Released 4 years after Iced Earth's eponymous debut album.  In fact, so I would say, "Iced Earth has the balls to release a 13+ minute song and play it live."

Of course, can we really suggest that, with both bands hereby referenced, it was all that "early"?  Steve Harris had been writing similarly styled songs for years.  I'm no musician, but it's plain to my ears that the basic "epic" concepts that are present in Phantom of the Opera were expanded for Rime of the Ancient Mariner.  Maiden had only released an album in 1980, but really, the basic formation of the band had been around for at least 2 years previous.

LooseCannon said:
Sorry, man.   You're talking nonsense.  Progressive rock and prog metal bands do that stuff all the time.  I don't think you will find many people on this board who disagree with the thesis that "Rime of the Ancient Mariner is an impressive and awesome piece of music".  However, we also can't put it on a pedestal and say it is truly unique.

For instance, Dante's Inferno, 16 minute long, was on Burnt Offerings.  Released 4 years after Iced Earth's eponymous debut album.

In Europe the debut was released in 1990. But there's still bands like Genesis, Yes & Rush who did longer songs in an earlier point of their album-career, if not mistaken.

I won't say that all their songs are more inventive or better, though. Maiden's effort was the first in their genre of this size.

Sounds like you are on a good track!  SSOASS is a 'concept' album, but it isn't necessary to hear the whole album to appreciate the individual songs.  Their 'best ofs' seem to miss out on some really good tracks, for there are many great tracks on each album.

Eddie is the 'mascot'.  Something that has been around since the first album and has evolved from there to what you see now.  I believe the original artist helped to define Eddie, and I heard a story once that it was based of a Vietnamese head seen on a tank, but don't know if that is true. 

wasted155 said:
Eddie is the 'mascot'.  Something that has been around since the first album and has evolved from there to what you see now.  I believe the original artist helped to define Eddie, and I heard a story once that it was based of a Vietnamese head seen on a tank, but don't know if that is true. 

Partly true.  The head wasn't inspiration, Riggs used it as a reference.  He had the idea of Eddie before that already (though it wasn't called Eddie then).  The interview where he says this can be found here.

Thanks, Invader, I there was more to it, but couldn't think of it.

I was responding to a post Mysterio made, he was stating the albums he was getting and asking about Eddie... I should have quoted; he seems to have deleted his post.

Thanks guys for the insight on Eddie.  I did delete my post by accident.  I realized it, but did not understand how I did that.  I will have to be more carefull next time.

Mysterio

It's cool, just thot my post looked weird there.  Glad you are getting into the music. 

I'm envious of you, knowing what you have to look forward to, experiencing Maiden for the first time!!

Enjoy it!!

I disagree. It is far from essential and it is missing tracks from the Diano and Blaze years. Best of the Beast is a much better compilation, but with Maiden it is best to go directly to the albums since they have plenty of good tracks that never get covered, played live or make it to compilations (The Duellist!)

Not to mention Only The Good Die Young.

Personally I would recommend to get one album from the "golden years" and one of the newest ones. Say, Seventh Son and AMOLAD.

(I bought my Maiden albums in the following order:

Powerslave + Seventh Son
Piece of Mind
Iron Maiden + Somewhere in Time
A Matter of Life and Death (upon release)
Brave New World
Dance of Death
The X Factor
Killers + The Number of the Beast

(yes, I haven't yet bought No Prayer, Fear of the Dark or Virtual XI).

When looking back on the process of getting into Maiden: Perhaps it is a bad thing starting with Powerslave and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. Any other album will feel like a letdown (kidding, they're all good)

It's true that it is hard to find (like IE's 3cd Alive in Athens), but it's worth hunting down (Like IE's 3cd Alive in Athens)

Onhell said:
It's true that it is hard to find (like IE's 3cd Alive in Athens), but it's worth hunting down (Like IE's 3cd Alive in Athens)

off-topic:
(At least) in Europe AiA has been re-released. Very easy to get, cheap price, great purchase indeed.

Do you mean the re-release in the boxed set Slave to the Dark?  At least from my experience, the CDs from that boxed set are horrendously expensive, all around 15 euros individually.  Alive in Athens I'm not sure about, since I have the older 3-disc version.  And that wasn't hard to find from a dedicated record store.  Individual studio albums are the hardest in my opinion.

But then again, you do live on a different continent Onhell ;)

NigelTufnel said:
It's hard to get the Orginal Release of Best of the Beast ,though.I like the stuff from the Di'Anno years.I think the Clansman,Sign of the Cross,Falling Down,Futureal ,Lord of the Flies and Virus are on the Essential.best of the Beast that is out now only has half the songs of the Orignal release.It also lacks anything by Paul Di'Anno :S

the single disc version of BOTB is the first Maiden cd i ever bought. once i started buying the albums i realized that it's not a great retrospective of their work, IMO

Back