if you could send Steve back in time to correct ONE mistake in the entire Maiden history: what thing would you choose him to have changed?

Don't cut the band logo from X-Factor to The Final Frontier.

I actually think it looked pretty good on the VXI-AMOLAD covers. It just felt right at the time to me, I don't know how to explain it.

And ease off on the footy stuff. I love football and I love Maiden but there are only so little occasions where those two can clash.

And they don't really do all that much. The most football-intensive Maiden ever got was during the VXI promotion. But the album doesn't even have any footy references. The only song in their catalogue exploring that avenue is Weekend Warrior, and that's an entirely different beast. So I really don't mind about all that, even though I'm not really much of a football fan at all.

I actually think it looked pretty good on the VXI-AMOLAD covers. It just felt right at the time to me, I don't know how to explain it.
To me, it looks like some sort of corporate brand logo. You know, clean, polished, everything fits. Those prolonged R, N and M had some aggressiveness to it, some passion.
And they don't really do all that much. The most football-intensive Maiden ever got was during the VXI promotion. But the album doesn't even have any footy references. The only song in their catalogue exploring that avenue is Weekend Warrior, and that's an entirely different beast. So I really don't mind about all that, even though I'm not really much of a football fan at all.
Oh, I'm not thinking about music-wise aspect, only some other things that don't really have to do anything with the songs or themes. Somehow, I think there was a lot more throughout their history, can't really put my finger on it. Yes, Virtual XI, that 12 Wasted Years logo that looked like some sort of football club logo, "Up the Irons" which is actually West Ham's, anytime they mash-up Eddie with something football related (a lot of event T-shirts), jerseys, I guess? Most of them are overpriced and poor-designed. Actually, I do like official jerseys that VA Sports made, I still have my eye on that Powerslave one, but the postage is almost twice the price of the jersey.
Indeed, there's not really football stuff. But most of the times I squint my eyes a little when I see something like that.

The football cross over was super cringy, total C grade stuff and 14yr old me knew it at the time. As was the cgi stuff around VXI. I thought they would never be cool again. I was totes wrong, thankfully.

I liked that too. It also underlined the History/New Album rotation when all of the "retro stuff" had the old logo and everything associated with the more recent stuff had the other one.

Then again, I also like how they went back to the old one with TBOS.

not intervene with anything with the production ,and let martin birch do his job as he knows it. that way maybe we would have martin birch productions until he passed last year .

Martin Birch retired in 1992, that's the reason he produced none of Maiden's albums after FOTD

And he probably retired because he didn't want to have "constructive discussion" with Harris anymore.

I know it's a conjecture, but it can be the only reason for absolutely calling it a day. The barnyard stuff. Harris wanted a big production but he didn't want to pay for a big studio. I think rectification of this mistake has become a requirement for reunion which makes this a valid theory. Had Harris said to Birch, we'll reconvene once in 2 years in some big studio to write and record an album, at least the way I see it.

Back