if you could send Steve back in time to correct ONE mistake in the entire Maiden history: what thing would you choose him to have changed?

Help me, guys. Trying to think what metal/hard rock bands replaced a legendary singer and enjoyed equal/greater success. Dio in Sabbath and Coverdale in Purple come to mind. I’m sure there’s more but not many. And probably from genres I don’t listen to, the replacement singer from Arch Enemy comes to mind.
Ian Gillan replacing Rod Evans.
Fergie Frederiksen replacing Bobby Kimball. (Well, he toured IV which Kimball had recorded but couldn't really perform live).

Last edited:
I think the discussion is going off track talking about minor bands, or vocalist changes at a very early stage of the career. The point is about the pressure of being a replacement in a major band at the very height of their success.
Yes, it has gone off the tracks a bit. Doubtful anyone considers folks like Al Atkins legendary....

I think the discussion is going off track talking about minor bands, or vocalist changes at a very early stage of the career. The point is about the pressure of being a replacement in a major band at the very height of their success.
I can quote Edu Falaschi replacing Andre Matos in a very key moment of Angra's career.

He shouldn't have rushed the second half of "Hell on Earth".

Seriously, replace that "Lost in Anger" part and the long outro with a another chorus and maybe 1 or 2 cool riffs/harmonies and you'd have perhaps the greatest Maiden song ever. The difference of quality between different sections of that song is simply baffling.

Seriously, replace that "Lost in Anger" part and the long outro with a another chorus and maybe 1 or 2 cool riffs/harmonies and you'd have perhaps the greatest Maiden song ever. The difference of quality between different sections of that song is simply baffling.
Never ever ever replace that Lost In Anger part! It's one of the best deliveries on the whole album! :angel:

While I agree we should have gotten another chorus, the Lost in Anger part is pretty awesome.

James LaBrie replacing whoever was in Dream theater.

Joey Belladonna replacing Neil Turbin in Anthrax.

Even if many people prefer Fish in Marillion, I will also say that Steve Hogarth does very well. Same about Alice in chains
His name is Charlie Dominici.

John Bush replacing Joey Belladonna: that's a move towards a better singer.

I prefer H.

... back to the topic, I wish Maiden had waited for Bruce to be ready before releasing what became Somewhere in Time.
;)

Rushed? I think the flow between the two halves of the song is just amazing and overall the whole structure of the composition is one of Steve's all time best. The ''Love in anger, Life in danger'' part is one of the highlights in the whole album too imo.
... back to the topic, I wish Maiden had waited for Bruce to be ready before releasing what became Somewhere in Time.
Although I'm really curious about the 9th song written by Bruce, in the end everything turned out great, since SIT is a classic with no fillers.

About Senjutsu ...(again, this is not a mistake by any means):

- the title is memorable and I like it, but I wouldn't have named an album with a non-English title. A song from an album, yes. Idk, it seemed strange for Maiden, although they have a few songs with non-English titles in their discography.

About Senjutsu ...(again, this is not a mistake by any means):

- the title is memorable and I like it, but I wouldn't have named an album with a non-English title. A song from an album, yes. Idk, it seemed strange for Maiden, although they have a few songs with non-English titles in their discography.
Well, The Art of War was already taken. :p

Well, The Art of War was already taken. :p
I guess you're right, like when they didn't call AMOLAD, The Legacy (btw, there is an album from 1986 called TFF by the glam metal band Keel). Well, the title is loosely translated as ''tactics and strategy'', but Bruce said in an interview that they will go with ''the art of war'' meaning - it's weird because you have Eddie as a samurai on the cover (with the working title The Great Wall is the same). I personally think The Time Machine is a great album title, but I like that the title of the album is one word again (after 37 years). The title is obscure but cool, I can't deny it.

Last edited:
I guess you're right, like when they didn't call AMOLAD, The Legacy (btw, there is an album from 1986 called TFF by the glam metal band Keel). Well, the title is loosely translated as ''tactics and strategy'', but Bruce said in an interview that they will go with ''the art of war'' meaning - it's weird because you have Eddie as a samurai on the cover (with the working title The Great Wall is the same). I personally think The Time Machine is a great album title, but I like that the title of the album is one word again (after 37 years). The title is obscure but cool, I can't deny it.
The other one I would’ve been alright with would’ve been Stratego. But then, do you run the risk of sounding too much like a board game?

Although I'm really curious about the 9th song written by Bruce
I think it's an early version of what became "Tears of The Dragon", and it was called "Pendragon's Tears". As for the source, it is probably somewhere in a magazine or on the Internet... :D But I haven't made it up. ;)

Nothing music-wise, just a couple of minor aesthetic details.

Don't cut the band logo from X-Factor to The Final Frontier.
Don't change Eddie's eyes on those remastered covers, white dot inside black eye socket is what makes Eddie - Eddie.
And ease off on the footy stuff. I love football and I love Maiden but there are only so little occasions where those two can clash.

Back