Iced Earth

Does Danko go around telling Ted Nugent he's a fake musician? I mean, Nugent is absolutely an abhorrent person, but the music, you know, fucking exists.

Man remember when we all thought the dumbest thing Jon Schaffer was doing was releasing Iced Earth patented hot sauce? Good times.

If somebody had told me then that Schaffer would be in jail two months later, I'd have said "come on, consumerism may be the downfall of human society, but other people did far worse to promote it..."

Man, remember when we all thought the dumbest thing Jon Schaffer did was Sons of Liberty? Rad times.
I read through this whole thread a couple months ago. Everyone was really in an uproar and then mellowed and now it’s come full circle lol.

Man, remember when we thought the dumbest thing Jon Schaffer did was release a book of written lyrics and a CD of himself narrating those lyrics over music? Good times.
Hey, that might've been a dumb idea, but a so-dumb-it's-good kind of idea. I was seriously contemplating a purchase for the hell of it. Looked dope.

Also - remember when we thought the dumbest thing Jon Schaffer did was get back together with Barlow just to record Christmas music? Good times.

Remember when we thought the dumbest thing he did was fire Tim Owens and not tell him and he found out through the band message board? Fun times

Remember when we thought the dumbest thing he did was fire Tim Owens and not tell him and he found out through the band message board? Fun times
I thought Jon called him up the day before christmas or something like that and just fired him. This sounds even juicier.

I thought Jon called him up the day before christmas or something like that and just fired him. This sounds even juicier.
IIRC it was right around Christmas and he'd been preparing for weeks to drive over to the studio which was some hours away, and right on the morning he was supposed to go he logged online and found a ton of messages from fans telling him how sorry they were / wishing him luck etc and that was how he found out he was fired.

TIM 'RIPPER' OWENS Discusses Split With ICED EARTH - Jan. 12, 2008

Former JUDAS PRIEST singer Tim "Ripper" Owens gave a rambling interview to Eddie Trunk on last night's (Friday, January 11) edition of the "Friday Night Rocks" radio show on New York City's Q104.3 FM in which he discussed his split with ICED EARTH and his future plans. A few excerpts from the chat follow (edited by BLABBERMOUTH.NET for clarity).

On the split with ICED EARTH:

"I think it was something that had to happen for both sides. It [was] not [amicable] at all. To tell you the truth, you don't get fired two weeks before Christmas and told ten minutes…

"I completed the [HEAVEN AND HELL] tour [with ICED EARTH] and was getting ready to work on [ICED EARTH's forthcoming album 'Something Wicked Part II']. I was actually supposed to be in my car and leaving that night [from Tim's home in Ohio] and decided, since I didn't hear from Jon [Schaffer, ICED EARTH mainman], I would wait until the morning to leave to go his house [in Indiana] and work on it. And the time I was supposed to be already gone, I just happened to go on my computer to see if Jon e-mailed me about what time he wants me there tomorrow is when I got the e-mail saying I wasn't in the band. And that was at 5:30. 5:40 — it was like 5:42 or 5:43 — I got my first e-mail from somebody, and then my first call came in at 5:45, saying, 'Man, I just heard.' [Laughs] My oldest daughter said to me, 'Man, what [would have happened] if you weren't home? That would have really sucked.' So the whole thing, really, was not handled in the way that I think it should have been. It's an unfortunate situation and an unfortunate ending.

"I had a nice ending with PRIEST — they made sure that, financially, I was handled for the next while to make sure that I got on my feet. Things were handled right and in a professional way. And I think the worst thing [about getting fired from ICED EARTH] was, [which] bummed me out, it was [two weeks] before Christmas. Now, I agree with the decision — I needed to go. I mean, I've gotta be honest.

"I'm trying to get back on my feet to get going, but I've gotten so many offers, it's unbelievable, and some great ones. And obviously BEYOND FEAR [Owens' solo project, which released its self-titled debut album in 2006], SPV [the record label] is so excited about it, we already have a gameplan on that, Wendy Dio [Ronnie James Dio's wife/manager] is still managing me.

"You know, it's [the split with ICED EARTH] something that had to happen, and I don't disagree with that."

"I think each one of us [Jon and I] had different ideas. I think the main idea was that I wanted to write and I wasn't able to, but in Jon's mind he did give me an opportunity to. But you know what?! I've gotta be honest… it all was good and it just didn't work out.

"I have nothing bad to say about Jon and I do wish him luck and everything. I really wanna do BEYOND FEAR and I have other opportunities that are better for me at this time, anyways. The unfortunate thing is I've been offered a few things in the past few years that I've turned down that were pretty good things, and I've turned it down, and looking back, I wish I would have probably taken them. But it was a good ride, and it was a good thing. It taught me that it's not always what you think it is in the business.

"Every step I've made in my career I've learned — everybody learns. I've always said I wanted to become a better singer and a better frontman and I've learned from this experience that you continually try to become that.

"The PRIEST thing was a great experience for me and I love to talk about it because it ended so well.

"I saw Glenn [Tipton] and Ken [Downing] — they came out to the Birmingham show when we played and they came back. It was a blast talking to them, and they are just so fun. Glenn and Ken and Jon and I sat in the dressing room, and we just had a great chat. It was fun. I've always enjoyed talking to those guys, and they were always really genuine with me, and 'till the very end, they were pretty genuine with me. I mean, the business end talks — there's no doubt about it — and it's the same thing that happened with ICED EARTH. The first person that's gonna get blamed is the new person, whether it's something else that could be an issue. But, really, that's what happened, and I know that, for me, publishing is a big thing, and I'm not getting it with that.

"It really got worse for me after I did BEYOND FEAR, because BEYOND FEAR was actually one of the better-reviewed CDs across the board that I've done. It might not have [gotten] as many 10s as maybe [ICED EARTH's] 'The Glorious Burden' did, but it definitely didn't [get] as many 2s and 3s as 'The Glorious Burden' did either. So it was one of the best-reviewed CDs I've ever done, and I wrote the whole album — I mean, half of it I wrote all by myself and the other half I wrote with John Comprix, the guitar player. So I think it got even worse then. But that is what it is. What's funny now is they have to get the old singer back although all Jon ever said in interviews… I think it's more of a… 'they need that, they need to get Matt [Barlow, ICED EARTH's singer who preceded and followed Tim in the band] back' and I agree — Matt's a great guy and a great singer. All Jon ever said was — and still will say it — is he writes all the stuff. 'I tell Matt what to sing.' It's what he always said and it's what he did with me.

"If I went out and joined somebody like YNGWIE MALMSTEEN. Well, you know what you're getting into — you're not joining a band, you're just joining a project to jump in and sing with him real quick. It's a whole different experience. I thought I was getting into a band and I was promised different things, and it all worked out until now. And I think everybody does know that it's the Jon Schaffer thing. It's a revolving door with everybody, and that's a cool thing, and Jon has built this thing from the ground up."

"You have to remember something, and the same thing happened to me when I got in JUDAS PRIEST — the band changed their style a little bit, and I love the change, but all of a sudden there's violins and 1,800-choir-piece singing on. You know, that wasn't going on in the past. The albums I did were a big change. On the new record you've got bongos and wool instruments. It seems like when I get in bands, they change a little bit. But you know the pressure of getting ICED EARTH was nothing like JUDAS PRIEST. To me, they're both major, major bands, but when you compare them, it's like comparing a triple-A ballclub to Major League baseball. And that's not a [knock on ICED EARTH] because every great baseball player has played in the triple-A."

"Jon and I always got along so well — our press trips and while we were together — so that was always a fun thing. We always got along well in the studio. It was a learning experience probably for both of us. It was more of a learning experience for me, I know, because obviously Jon's pretty used to getting rid of people and getting new members, so it's not really much of a difference for him. My bass player [BEYOND FEAR's Dennis Hayes, who was fired from ICED EARTH at the same time as Tim] found out because he looked on the web site and his name was gone. [Laughs]

"I felt like I was going nowhere. It was the same thing in PRIEST — 'Man, I wanna write, I wanna do stuff. I'm getting all these offers for BEYOND FEAR to do these tours and these shows and I can't get them out there. I've gotta turn everything down. Damn, I just wanna get out there and do other things, I wanna write and do stuff.' I got my wish… [Laughs] … just in an unprofessional way. I know if I ever would have left, I would have given notice — I would have done an album and given notice.

"It's funny how things work out. I remember Jon always complaining how Richard Christy [former ICED EARTH drummer who quit the band in order to work for 'The Howard Stern Show'] left in the middle of a tour — he said, 'I'm gonna end up leaving' — and [Jon] said it was unprofessional. And I think to myself, I got fired two weeks before Christmas, which was kind of strange. But it makes you a better person.

"I have good memories of ICED EARTH and it was a good opportunity for me."

------------------------
ICED EARTH Guitarist: JON SCHAFFER Is 'One Of The Hardest-Working Guys I Know' - Jan. 13, 2008

ICED EARTH's official Brazilian web site, Brazil Under Ice, has been updated with a brand new interview with the group's guitarist Troy Seele. A couple of excerpts from the question-and-answer session follow:

Q: Tell us a bit about your life, when did you start do play guitar, and what bands did you play with? Did you record any albums, singles, EPs, or even something as a guest musician?

Troy Seele: I started playing guitar when I was thirteen. My first professional live show was when I was fifteen. I was in a handful of local bands that played cover music until I was twenty. My first original band was called THE CRIMINALS. That group slowly morphed into MA KELLY, which lasted for 11 years, five albums and three record labels. We opened up for several national acts but never got a break ourselves. After that was over I did various side projects; everything ranging from rock to folk to bluegrass. I started playing guitar with a band called THE WHY STORE for about a year before I joined ICED EARTH.

Q: How did you join ICED EARTH? Will you be a full member or were you just "hired?"

Troy Seele: Jon [Schaffer, ICED EARTH mainman] was near the end of recording "Framing Armageddon" when Tim Mills [former guitarist] had to bow out to run his business. Jon and I had been friends for a long time so I told him I would be happy to do some leads to finish the album. He would look for someone else to be the touring guitarist when he was ready to start doing gigs. I picked up a few songs from his studio that he wanted to try me out on. I worked on them while I was out doing some short tours with THE WHY STORE. I went to his studio armed with a few ideas for each song and it seemed to work. I ended up doing six or seven solos on the album. When it came time to do the shows I asked him to consider me. We talked about it for a week or so. One month before ICED EARTH was set to play the Sweden Rock Festival, Jon called and told me to pack my bags.

I would like to think of myself as full of a member as you can be. It's no secret that ICED EARTH is a vehicle for Jon to deliver his vision. As long as I've known him he has never excluded band members from the creative process. In most cases, Jon ends up doing it himself because they haven't taken the opportunity to collaborate.

Q: How is the friendship with Jon Schaffer? And what is like to work with him?

Troy Seele: Jon is a great friend. I've known him for over ten years and he is one of the hardest-working guys I know. Before joining the band we talked quite often so I would know the details of various situations. Then I would read things on the Internet or in magazines that I knew were not true. The misconception is that Jon is this asshole, bad guy. He knows that isn't the case but for the good of the band he takes it. Jon understands that he is an easy target and people are going to take full advantage of that. When you are the only one defending yourself, it usually makes it worse. So, for the most part, Jon just does what he thinks is best for ICED EARTH and our fans knowing full well the fallout will be aimed directly at him.

As a boss, Jon is hard but fair. If you can't handle the truth about yourself or anything pertaining to ICED EARTH, you are going to be in for a rough ride. He puts 100% into ICED EARTH and asks you to do the same. At the end of the day, all he cares about is giving the fans the best of what ICED EARTH has to offer.

Q: What did you think about playing with Tim Owens, and what do you think about his leaving and Matt Barlow coming back?

Troy Seele: Tim is an extremely talented singer and I felt honored to perform with him. There are a lot of people, including Tim, that say his leaving could have been handled better. Under the circumstances, Jon handled it the best he could.

Matt and Jonworked together for a long time. I am excited to see what they put together in the studio. I know it will be an incredible CD.

Q: What is like to you to play in ICED EARTH, and what's different between the other bands where you played?

Troy Seele: ICED EARTH is the most intense band I have ever played in. In any other band I've been in I was the only guitar player. It is quite different playing with one of the best guitar players in metal. Covering a Jon Schaffer rhythm part is not easy and there is no way to sound like him. Even if you can play exactly the same notes, and the same timing, it just won't sound the same. What I've learned is how to complement what he is playing, not duplicate his parts. Trying to clone him live is a losing proposition.

Read the entire interview at www.icedearth.com.br
Here's the full thing from the split. I didn't get everything right, but still, what a whiplash.

Back