Iced Earth

Schaffer may have ruined his career over this, but he probably won't have any trouble putting together a new Iced Earth. Just don't expect it to include any high profile Metal musicians who have reputations that could be ruined over it.

I could imagine Tim Owens wouldn't have any qualms about working together with Schaffer for political reasons. He's on record being a convinced Trump supporter. The only thing I could imagine is that he's still bitter about the way he was fired from IE in 2007 and might decline to work with Schaffer for personal reasons. But maybe they have made up in the 13 years since, I don't know.

I hope it doesn't, and don't think that will happen. Schaffer is hell bent on the members of IE staying 100% focused on IE. Tim didn't, and is constantly involved in several projets. That wouldn't fly with Schaffer anyway.

If it did happen though, I would listen to it on Spotify or find a.... Free version online. I wouldn't see them or purchase anything. Schaffer isn't going to rob me of my enjoyment, but I'm not buying anything he puts out and would prefer this to be the end of IE.

Last edited:
There’s a difference between being a Trump supporter and being convicted for attacking cops at the capitol riot. Even if you support what Jon did, you might not want to be so vocal about it or associate with him if you’re trying to keep a music career.

There’s a difference between being a Trump supporter and being convicted for attacking cops at the capitol riot. Even if you support what Jon did, you might not want to be so vocal about it or associate with him if you’re trying to keep a music career.
He did refer to it as "crazy" on FB when asked about it.

If you want to call whatever Owens has a "career"...

Fair point.

I don't count Alive In Athens, though it would be an easy #2 (maybe #1 if it was recorded after Horror Show).

Inspired by the GMAC thread but moving here because it’s more on topic here. Here’s the challenge:

Alternate timeline where iced Earth recorded AiA after the Horror Show album. It’s still their first live album and the basic structure of the setlist is the same. I’m curious what songs you all would replace to add Horror Show material to the set. For every Horror Show song, you have to drop a song in comparable length. I.e you can drop Dante’s Inferno for two or three Horror Show songs but you can’t replace, say, Burning Times with Damien. Any unspoken Iced Earth setlist rules (such as they always play the song Iced Earth) still apply. Curious what folks come up with. I’ll come back to this later after giving it some thought.

I.e you can drop Dante’s Inferno for two or three Horror Show songs but you can’t replace, say, Burning Times with Damien.
Can we also do the opposite, replace two AIA songs for a longer one from HS?

Making your livelihood through touring and recording sounds like a career to me. Not a particularly commercially successful one in this case though. The parallells with Blaze are undeniable, although he definitely has a harder time than Ripper.

Making your livelihood through touring and recording sounds like a career to me. Not a particularly commercially successful one in this case though. The parallells with Blaze are undeniable, although he definitely has a harder time than Ripper.

The not successful part was what I was getting at. No idea what Blaze has to do with that, I don't see him mentioned in my post.

Also, it was a joke.

The not successful part was what I was getting at. No idea what Blaze has to do with that, I don't see him mentioned in my post.

Also, it was a joke.
Their career paths mirror each other to a fair extent. Two guys filling too large shoes and never quite making it afterwards. This being a Maiden forum and all.

tenor.gif

The parallells with Blaze are undeniable, although he definitely has a harder time than Ripper.
Ripper was at least hitting the notes when singing the classic Judas Priest material. His tweets make him sound like a wannabe Trump though.

Inspired by the GMAC thread but moving here because it’s more on topic here. Here’s the challenge:

Alternate timeline where iced Earth recorded AiA after the Horror Show album. It’s still their first live album and the basic structure of the setlist is the same. I’m curious what songs you all would replace to add Horror Show material to the set. For every Horror Show song, you have to drop a song in comparable length. I.e you can drop Dante’s Inferno for two or three Horror Show songs but you can’t replace, say, Burning Times with Damien. Any unspoken Iced Earth setlist rules (such as they always play the song Iced Earth) still apply. Curious what folks come up with. I’ll come back to this later after giving it some thought.
My Own Savior -> Jekyll & Hyde
The Last Laugh and Stormrider -> Damien
Colors -> Scarred
Stand Alone -> Wolf
Cast In Stone -> Dracula
Brainwashed -> Ghost Of Freedom

Look at this setlist: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/iced-earth/2002/sporting-athens-greece-63dfc297.html

I have the bootleg and it's pretty good, but missing the first 4 songs.

My Own Savior -> Jekyll & Hyde
The worst song on Horror Show over one of the best rockers on Something Wicked? Sir. :p

Would love to include “Dragon’s Child”, but since Schaffer seems adamant against playing it, I suppose it wouldn’t count?

Back