Iced Earth

Black Wizard said:
I think it looks silly. Would hate to be in front on the stage with no band playing on it while there's a band on the other one.

It's not all that bad, trust me. ;)

Black Wizard said:
I think it looks silly. Would hate to be in front on the stage with no band playing on it while there's a band on the other one.

Trust me, I'd rather be in front of the stage with no band playing than a terrible band playing.  ;) Case in point: Avenged Sevenfold opening for Maiden in 2008.

A7X is FAR from a terrible band. City of Evil is a GREAT album and their earlier stuff is worth listening too. Their last two CDs are full of hit or miss stuff, I'll admit, but still better than a lot of the crap out there.

Onhell said:
A7X is FAR from a terrible band. City of Evil is a GREAT album and their earlier stuff is worth listening too. Their last two CDs are full of hit or miss stuff, I'll admit, but still better than a lot of the crap out there.

It's possible that my perspective was skewed by the long wait for Maiden and I'll admit I've seen worse bands.  When I saw Iced Earth this summer, there was a punk band before them on the stage, and since I had managed to secure a place at the barrier, I wasn't going to go away for their set.  Probably the most terrible concert experience of my life.  It wasn't the band so much as the highly annoying audience (screaming teenage girls, and their "pit" right behind me).  What made me endure it all: half the front row was filled with Iced Earth fans. :D

There is one show with Tim, and two almost identical shows with Matt (setlists are almost the same with one show having one song more than the other). Documentary is kinda short and dissapointing.

Night Prowler said:
There is one show with Tim, and two almost identical shows with Matt (setlists are almost the same with one show having one song more than the other). Documentary is kinda short and dissapointing.
I watched the Wacken show. It's sloppily edited too.

I didn't pay attention to the video quality but I wish drums were mixed differently especially double bass which is really low in the mix.

Invader said:
It's possible that my perspective was skewed by the long wait for Maiden and I'll admit I've seen worse bands.  When I saw Iced Earth this summer, there was a punk band before them on the stage, and since I had managed to secure a place at the barrier, I wasn't going to go away for their set.  Probably the most terrible concert experience of my life.  It wasn't the band so much as the highly annoying audience (screaming teenage girls, and their "pit" right behind me).  What made me endure it all: half the front row was filled with Iced Earth fans. :D

Oddly, my worst concert experience was Iced Earth in Phx for the Glorious Burden Tour.... they SUCKED and the set list was awful. Best concert experience has been Alice Cooper, both as an Opener for Heaven and Hell and as main act.

Onhell said:
Oddly, my worst concert experience was Iced Earth in Phx for the Glorious Burden Tour.... they SUCKED and the set list was awful. Best concert experience has been Alice Cooper, both as an Opener for Heaven and Hell and as main act.

I waited five years before I saw Iced Earth live (and it was a fantastic gig), so I can't imagine how they can ever have "sucked". ;)  But, it was literally a completely different band in 2004, only Schaffer remains from that line-up.  If they played a lot of songs from TGB I can imagine the set list might have been pretty bad as well.

My version of the album has two recordings (normal and acoustic) of When the Eagle Cries.  'Nuff said.

Invader said:
My version of the album has two recordings (normal and acoustic) of When the Eagle Cries.  'Nuff said.
Hey, aside from the lyrics it's a decent song. Especially the acoustic version. I like the vocal melodies. They could skip the backing vocals though. Jon's been spending way too much time with Hansi Kurch. Won't write a single song without those damn backing vocals.

And it's even more annoying when they are heavily layered.

Yax said:
Jon's been spending way too much time with Hansi Kurch. Won't write a single song without those damn backing vocals.
LOL I thought I'm the only one who thinks that. Btw. When The Eagle Cries is OK. Hollow Man is disgusting though - by far IE's worst song.

Yax said:
Hey, aside from the lyrics it's a decent song. Especially the acoustic version. I like the vocal melodies. They could skip the backing vocals though. Jon's been spending way too much time with Hansi Kurch. Won't write a single song without those damn backing vocals.

Sorry, disagree.  The chorus is annoying no matter what he sings.  But I agree on the second point, leave the backing vocals to Blind Guardian where they belong (and work!).

Yax said:

And it's even more annoying when they are heavily layered.
:lol: So true. The Something Wicked albums would have been a lot better if it had just been Ripper/Matt with some occasional backing vocals from Jon.

You stubborn non-believers probably never heard Gettysburg. :ninja:

There are bad tracks on it, I admit, but Waterloo, Valley Forge, Declaration Day, Hollow Man & Red Baron are all great. Really great war-themed album.

Back