Iced Earth

Night Prowler said:
I'll be heading to Europe tomorrow for a few festival dates and then right back to work in the studio on Monday.

He makes it sound like a chore.  Since I'll be attending one of those festival dates, I really hope the whole band doesn't share that attitude. <_<

Say what you will, but Schaffer is a hard-working man. I'm also certain that he's got his hands full at the moment.

Still, those song titles don't sound very appetising. I'm probably going to give the new album a chance, but my expectations aren't very high. My interest is low, anyway.

Well, I just saw Iced Earth live for the first time in my life.  Amazing, because I waited 5 years for it, but sad since I won't be seeing them with Barlow any more.  The band's first gig in 9 years in Finland could have been a lot better, too: they played only a 1 hour and 15 minutes setlist at a mainstream rock festival in Joensuu (which, even by Finnish standards, is in the middle of nowhere).  I paid 60 euros (student price, normal price is twice that) for travel and 75 for the festival ticket (no single-day tickets were sold), and the only band that I saw there was Iced Earth.  There really was no other band of interest to metalheads there with the possible exception of Finntroll, which makes IE both the longest waited and most expensive band for me. :bigsmile:

A lot of fans there shared my attitude, and there were a lot of IE fans on the bus back to Helsinki.  Iced Earth hadn't played in Finland for 9 years, and that showed in how much time and money people were willing to put into seeing the band.  If it had been a metal festival, I wouldn't have been surprised at the audience IE gathered, but at a mainstream rock/pop festival I was quite astounded how many fans had showed up.

But anyway, the band did a good job despite the less than ideal circumstances, and the audience gave them a good welcome, which I hope motivates the band to come to Finland more in the future.  There were sound problems with the lead guitar, which really hurt especially the highlight of the set list  (last four songs in the spoilers).  But, sound problems at festivals are so common that I can't really complain much.  Matt was in great shape, and I was astounded by how well he nailed even the highest screams.  He's even better than Bruce was at that age.  Same goes for Jon: his right hand is a machine, so flawlessly he played every single riff.  The rest of the band I didn't really pay attention to, since I was in the front row right between Matt and Jon and the lead guitar was hard to hear anyway.  Overall, this gig was even better than Maiden's gig a week before, but that's partly because it was my first time with IE and fourth with Maiden.

The set list, approximately (I can't remember the exact order):
Burning Times
Declaration Day
Vengeance Is Mine
Violate
Last December
Travel in Stygian
I Died for You
Jack
The Hunter
Prophecy
Birth of the Wicked
The Coming Curse
---
Iced Earth

Absolutely the best song of the gig was Travel in Stygian.  Matt's scream at the 6-minute mark is one of the most mindblowing things I've ever seen live.  Second highlight: the Something Wicked trilogy, which have always been among my favourite Iced Earth songs.  The only minor disappointment with the set list was Jack, since Matt introduced it so that I first thought they're going to play Dracula. :(

The gig will be available to watch at http://ylex.fi/ylexareenalive/ by Tuesday, though I'm not sure if it works outside Finland.  

Edit: Here's the direct link, should work outside Finland.  http://ylex.yle.fi/ylex-areena/play/1310904472427

Jack. Like it or not, that's the only surprise (change) in the setlist of the last 10 years. Did Barlow wear the hat? Well, maybe Travel in Stygian is a welcome change as well. Not sure if they played it in between 2003-2009/2010.

Forostar said:
Jack. Like it or not, that's the only surprise (change) in the setlist of the last 10 years. Did Barlow wear the hat? Well, maybe Travel in Stygian is a welcome change as well. Not sure if they played it in between 2003-2009/2010.
Iced Earth hadn't played in Finland in 9 years, so I don't think most people there were looking for surprises.  :) 

I hope that play at least two hour long concerts when they start the new tour with Stu, and no new songs no matter how good they are. I want to have a perfect first IE concert.

In 2007 they played 4 new songs - Something Wicked, Part 1, Setian Massacre, Ten Thousand Strong and A Charge To Keep - and 3 new interludes.

From 2008 to this day, they only played 3 new songs - Behold The Wicked Child, I Walk Alone and Come What May (rarely) - and 1 new interlude.

By new song, I mean that song is from the latest album at the time of its live premiere.

Coincidentally, all of the songs they played are IMO among the best on their respective albums.

Night Prowler said:
Setian Massacre

I find it the most emotionless, monotone & repetitive piece Iced Earth e-ver did.
The tone is con-stant-ly the same!

The song goes like this:

Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam.

crap chorus

2 solos

Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam.

crap repetitive chorus

solo

I bet the solo parts were very needed and saved it from being kicked off the album.

(source)

I like the song, but I think that its solos are crap. Although I can't agree with you, I appreciate your efforts to explain why you don't like something :)

I think that Hollow Man is Iced Earth's worst song.

Sorry Foro, you still haven't convinced me.  I can see where you're coming from, but I just can't agree with you.  Love the way you express your dislike, though. :D

Did you guys see the giveaway on Iced Earths facebook (first 50 posters get drawn out to win a signed set of festivals of the wicked or something)

I was the first poster :D

But I didn't get it, #14 got it :(

Invader said:
Sorry Foro, you still haven't convinced me.  I can see where you're coming from, but I just can't agree with you. 

I thought I demonstrated its repetitiveness and monotoness by the facts, in a very objective way.
:D

Night Prowler said:
I hope that play at least two hour long concerts when they start the new tour with Stu, and no new songs no matter how good they are. I want to have a perfect first IE concert.
So that's 'Night of the Stormrider' in its entirety, then a few songs from each of the next three albums?

Your post inspired me to try and make my own perfect Iced Earth setlist...It was hard since there are so many good songs. I made this setlist using only songs that WERE played live:

Intro - 1776
01. Burning Times
02. Declaration Day
03. Vengeance Is Mine
04. Violate
05. Ghost Of Freedom
06. Last December
07. The Hunter
08. A Question Of Heaven
09. Travel In Stygian
10. Setian Massacre
11. Diary
12. My Own Savior
13. Dracula
14. Prophecy
15. Birth Of The Wicked
16. The Coming Curse
17. Come What May
-
18. Desert Rain
19. Stormrider
20. Iced Earth ('cause it has to close every Iced Earth show -.-)

From Iced Earth's Facebook page:

We're going to release information about the album -- cover art, release dates, and content information -- worldwide tomorrow (Wednesday) morning at 10am, Eastern Time.

Can't wait :shred:

"I just got off the phone with Century Media. We're going to release information about the album -- cover art, release dates, and content information -- worldwide tomorrow (Wednesday) morning at 10am, Eastern Time.

I apologize for the delay. But we're trying to coordinate hundreds of media outlets around the world for this important (and very cool) news. Stay tuned!"

Although Dystopia, Iced Earth’s 10th studio offering, is not a concept album, founder Jon Schaffer admits there are unifying themes to several of the songs – and even an appearance by band mascot “Set Abominae.”

“I’ve always been fascinated by the darker side of life,” Schaffer said during a break from master tracking Iced Earth’s forthcoming album. “Movies like Metropolis, Brazil, and The Matrix resonate with me. The same for albums like 2112, The Wall, and of course Operation:Mindcrime. Their images of a soulless, repressive society stuck with me over the years. It must be the sci-fi fan in me.”

In much the same way Horror Show (Iced Earth’s tribute to classic characters from literature and movies) was born, Schaffer said his interest in dystopian themes in music and movies led him to try his hand at that genre as well – even paying homage on the new album to the movies Dark City, V For Vendetta, and Soylent Green. The end result is Iced Earth meets the nightmarish offspring of Brave New World and Blade Runner.

Of special interest to long-time fans are two songs on Dystopia (the title track and “Tragedy & Triumph”) that feature the return of the “Something Wicked” storyline and “Set Abominae” – who, when last seen in The Crucible of Man [2008], had taken his position as ruler of the world.

“The opening song is a step back timeline-wise from the ‘Come What May’ track,” said Schaffer. “‘Come What May’ [the last track on Crucible] sets the scenario that it’s up to us and the decisions we make that will determine the future of the human race. These two songs [on Dystopia] take place at a time when people are in highly controlled prison-like city states, and their eventual emancipation in the closer, ‘Tragedy & Triumph’.”

In an uncanny case of art imitating life, Schaffer said Set Abominae fit perfectly with the general theme of Dystopia.

“I remember it hit me like a ton of bricks in ’97, the whole Something Wicked story did,” Schaffer said. “I thought, ‘Man, this is going to be so cool.’ Many years later, we were on tour for Crucible and we were doing an interview over in Eastern Europe. A buddy of mine said, ‘You know, Jon, this whole Something Wicked thing could be true.’ I thought about it a moment and said, ‘Well, I don’t know about that. But there are some creepy parallels in contemporary life.’”

“So as I was thinking about all of the great movies, albums, and books with dystopian themes, I remembered that conversation and it occurred to me that the Something Wicked story could continue in a few tracks here very nicely,” Schaffer said.

Schaffer admits the recording of Dystopia has been especially challenging because of the band’s summer festival gigs requiring him to criss-cross the ocean numerous times.

Despite the challenges, Schaffer says working with new vocalist Stu Block is “a pleasure.”

“You just can’t ask for a better attitude,” said Schaffer. “Stu is so excited to be here. He brings a youthful exuberance to the band, which is a lot of fun. And he’s a real dude. He’s down to earth, and willing to try anything that Jim [Morris, co-producer, engineer] or I throw at him. He’s stepping into the shoes in a very natural way.”

Schaffer continues: “We’re opening up a part of his voice and a style of singing that he didn’t even really know he had. We’re exploring this whole new range. And we’re just getting started. I believe Stu will continue to grow – and has the potential to grow – into one of the greats, one of the guys that will go down in metal history. If he stays on this course, with the attitude that he has, his willingness to learn, and his passion, he’s destined for really great things. I firmly believe that.”

Song Titles on Dystopia:

Dystopia
Anthem
Days Of Rage
Soylent Green
V
Boiling Point
Anguish Of Youth
Iron Will
Dark City
End Of Innocence
Equilibrium
Tragedy & Triumph

Dystopia is scheduled for release in Europe on October 17th, and in the U.S. on October 18th both via Century Media. Two bonus tracks are also being recording for inclusion on special editions of the album.

The release of Dystopia will be followed by the most extensive world tour Iced Earth has ever undertaken.

The European leg of the 2011-2012 World Dystopia Tour has been posted on the band’s official web site, and all official social-media sites. The tour begins October 30th in Bochum, Germany.

280600_190999934294974_103269996401302_483698_7474996_o.jpg

:edmetal: :shred: :rocker:

Back