Iced Earth

Re: New Iced Earth Album

Ok, in that case I'll just say do a google search. The advance album is approved by Jon schaffer. Every few minutes into the music there's a voiceover of Jon Schaffer saying "Hello, this is Jon Schaffer from Iced Earth, i hope you're enjoying the advance copy of Something Wicked Part 1: Framing Armageddon." I think it's safe to assume that it's genuinely Schaffer speaking.

I'm not saying The Glorious Burden is bad, I like it too, I'm just saying Framing Armageddon is better, and I can assume with near-absolute certainty that most people will agree with me when they hear both albums. Owens' vocals are much more consistent and less over-the-top on Framing Armageddon and the lyrics and overall musicianship are deeper. I drew the comparison to The Glorious Burden because it's harder to compare to Barlow-era Iced Earth.

I'm sure it is, but without a link to an actual article, I am sure you understand why we have to be careful :)

I am really, really anticipating this album.  I'll have to check the preview out!

I forgot to add this to my first post: anyone with any questions or thoughts about the album, feel free to post here.

Helphyre said:
Ok, in that case I'll just say do a google search. The advance album is approved by Jon schaffer. Every few minutes into the music there's a voiceover of Jon Schaffer saying "Hello, this is Jon Schaffer from Iced Earth, i hope you're enjoying the advance copy of Something Wicked Part 1: Framing Armageddon." I think it's safe to assume that it's genuinely Schaffer speaking.

It's more likely that this is a leak of a promo copy.  Most pre-release torrents are leaked from promotional discs sent to various magazines and clubs around the world...invariably, one person uploads it, and it goes from there.  As such, Schaffer probably doesn't appreciate us downloading it. :p

But screw him.  I don't like The Glorious Burden enough to buy it, but I want to see what they do with the idea.  If it's as horribly carried out as the Overture of the Wicked single, though... -_-

I've listened to it a few times...but you know, it's just not taking.  I like a couple of the songs, but overall, I am just not a big fan of it..yet.  I want to try  to listen to it a little more.  I am a big Iced Earth fan...

So am I.  But since I haven't got any of their earlier work as CDs yet,* this new one might have to wait.

* Why?  Because it's maddeningly difficult finding their albums in this country!  I saw the second Iced Earth album I've ever seen in real life last Monday!

The album sounded ok but it was hard to tell because of the voice overs.  :mad:
And I agree with LooseCannon, torrents are a heaven send for those of us in countries where finding a decent metal CD is an ordeal.

Now that I've heard the album nonstop for a few days, I can honestly say I love this album. I think it's mainly because of the story, which is not only epic as hell but also much deeper and more original than on any concept album I've heard before. The plot unfolds naturally and actually enhances the music without ever dragging it down. Owens sounds amazing on this album, not as comically over-the-top as sometimes was on the Glorious Burden and Judas Priest's Jugulator. I'm actually glad he sung on this album instead of Barlow, the songs seem to fit his style more. The guitar-work isn't as aggresive as on previous albums, but it's a richer and more diverse sound that really complements the lyrics. Infiltrate And Assimilate, Retribution Through The Ages, and A Charge To Keep are in my opinion the strongest tracks, and The Clouding is beyond amazing lyrically. I may think SLIGHTLY less of this album once the joy of finding it in the first place wears off.

"But screw him.  I don't like The Glorious Burden enough to buy it, ..."

We're talking about two different records here, don't we?

Forostar said:
"But screw him.  I don't like The Glorious Burden enough to buy it, ..."

We're talking about two different records here, don't we?

True, but since every other project involving Ripper has failed to impress me, why should this one?  Especially when 'Ten Thousand Strong' sounded so much like something that could have been on TGB.

One thing that seriously annoys me about this era of IE is the ridiculous over-reliance on layered vocals in the choruses.  Perhaps its something Schaffer picked up from Blind Guardian, but it really emphasises Ripper's inadequacies, and it really spoils lots of the songs; the chorus of '10,000 Strong' sounds more or less identical to 'Declaration Day', to me.

Raven said:
True, but since every other project involving Ripper has failed to impress me, why should this one? 

Such thoughts are too preconceived to judge upcoming music in a fair way.

Forostar said:
Such thoughts are too preconceived to judge upcoming music in a fair way.

I've given Ripper's projects an open mind before, up to and including Overture of the Wicked.  Do you seriously expect me to give the man another chance when every other work I've heard featuring him has been hopelessly bland?  The problem, again, is not Ripper's alone, but Schaffer's as well.

Do you seriously expect me to think that you're open minded towards Iced Earth when you are basically saying that you'd not buy the new album, only because of The Glorious Burden and non Iced Earth related music?

To judge music beforehand in a negative way or to dismiss a band after one single bad album is one of the most ignorant things to do.

Forostar said:
Do you seriously expect me to think that you're open minded towards Iced Earth when you are basically saying that you'd not buy the new album, only because of The Glorious Burden and non Iced Earth related music?

To judge music beforehand in a negative way or to dismiss a band after one single bad album is one of the most ignorant things to do.

The Glorious Burden
Overture of the Wicked
Both Judas Priest albums
Beyond Fear

'One bad album'.  In case you haven't gotten my point, I don't like Ripper's voice - if somebody had listened to every Maiden album and didn't like them, would you call them 'ignorant' for not buying the new one?

I'm downloading the new album to see if the music can overcome my apprehension over Ripper's voice.  So far, it hasn't done that, and I'm not going to buy an album on faith that I know I'm not likely to enjoy.  Call me ignorant and narrow-minded if you will; at least I'm giving the album a chance to win me over, by downloading it.

I am not blaming you for the downloading or for disliking Ripper's voice.
I find it narrow minded to download an album and to say beforehand that you'd never buy it.

To download an album just to get used to someone's voice sounds funny to me. After all the examples you just gave?

You will never be won over if you will never buy it. So basically, in my eyes you don't give yourself nor the band a chance.

Forostar said:
I am not blaming you for the downloading or for disliking Ripper's voice.
I find it narrow minded to download an album and to say beforehand that you'd never buy it.

To download an album just to get used to someone's voice sounds funny to me. After all the examples you just gave?

You will never be won over if you will never buy it. So basically, in my eyes you don't give yourself nor the band a chance.

At the minute, I don't have the money to buy any albums.  I've got a huge backlog of albums that I want to buy (among them, the rest of Iced Earth's catalogue), and I highly doubted, before downloading, that 12/4 songs in the vein of '10,000 Strong' would make me want to buy it above the great albums on my wanted list.

I gave this album a download, because I really like the concept, and want to see how it would be told.  After all, Schaffer has a bit of a penchant for concept albums, and this one seemed very epic.  I suppose I wanted to see if the pros could outweigh the cons, but in my view, I need to separate the grain from the chaff in my music collection, and I don't have the desire to give Iced Earth's latest output the long time it would no doubt take for me to get used to it.  Is that narrow minded?  If you listen to anything for long enough, you get used to it; how many of us here brush off music we don't like with only a cursory listen?  Can you really say that you listen to every music you're exposed to with an open mind?  That you would never declaim a pop song as crap, yet find it stuck in your head?

Raven said:
..how many of us here brush off music we don't like with
only a cursory listen?

At least I brush off music after having heard it.

Raven said:
Can you really say that you listen to every music you're exposed to with an open mind?  That you would never declaim a pop song as crap, yet find it stuck in your head?

I honestly try to stay open minded while listening. However, for me it's impossible to decide things before I have heard a product.

Now that you've told that you have a priority wishlist when it comes to buying albums, I understand it all a bit better.

I'd say our conversation brought up way more than the single quote that made it all start. ;)

I'm downloading right now.  I just want it to be half as good musically as NOTS, and it's epicity will do the rest.
Something Wicked was an okay album, (too many ballads) so if it is as good as that I'll be fine with it and buy it later.

I find Owens to be the best possible replace to Barlow; on songs like Burning Times or Dracula he sounds near identical, and his manic screams rule!  He just doesn't have the low to midrange capacity and pure emotion Barlow has.

I won't download the promo-album, because:

1. I don't want the voice-overs to ruin it for me.
2. I want to wait until it's released. 

Back