1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iced Earth

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by Forostar, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Brigantium

Brigantium Work Geordie for hire Staff Member

Not bad at all, I like it a lot better than Whore, it's very listenable. Enjoyed the solo, which was unexpected. It's not anything new or different, but as with visiting Burger King, I'm fine with that.

2. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

Well I listened to the rest of it and the non-ballad parts are pretty cool. Kinda generic but still enjoyable.

I don't dislike their ballads BTW. In fact, I actually really enjoyed two of the three ballads on Dystopia (Anthem being the one I disliked). The problem is that many of them sound the same. I have the same problem with a lot of recent Dream Theater ballads. In the album's context they usually work fine but I'm never going to go out of my way to listen to most of them. The best ballads were on SWTWC, nothing has lived up to those since.

Controversial IE opinion: AQOH is one of their lesser ballads. I much prefer Melancholy and I Died For You.

3. Unknown One

Unknown One I see the ghost of navigators.

I Died For You is great and I agree that it's IE's best ballad. I also love Consequences although Melancholy has dropped a bit since I first heard it.

4. Detective Beauregard

Detective Beauregard Barrels of Rum! Black Powder!

Iced Earth run such a gamut lyrically. One minute they're emoting about a guy who died in a motorcycle accident and the next they're screeching about whatever the hell that thing was that John Leguizamo played in Spawn.

I need to listen to Consequences again, as I recall it being solid and kinda unique for them. Last night I listened to the first two discs of Alive in Athens and I can say without hesitation that it is one of the best-sounding live albums I've ever heard. It almost makes me wonder if there were overdubs.

5. Mosh

Consequences is very cool, forgot about that one.

6. Night Prowler

Night Prowler ɹǝlʍoɹԀ ʇɥƃᴉN Staff Member

7. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

Most interesting one so far, but that first wail sounds like lame Ripper worship.

8. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus The Spiral King

I just made a Witherfall thread, but I really wanted to pop in here and throw in my support for Jake Dreyer. Dude's by far and away the best lead guitarist Iced Earth's ever had. I highly recommend Iced Earth fans checking Witherfall out, especially if they're fans of early IE albums like Night of the Stormrider or Burnt Offerings.

9. Night Prowler

Gonna wait for the whole album though.

Brigantium likes this.
  10. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Yorktown-class aircraft carrier Staff Member

Good to hear Stu exploring his voice more and getting out of Barlow mode on this track.

I wrote a paper in university on the Irish Brigade.

11. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

Bloody great.

12. MrKnickerbocker

This is certainly the most interesting thing Iced Earth has done in 15 years.

Forostar likes this.
  13. Night Prowler

AAAAAAArgh. Must. Not. Listen. Must. Wait. For. The. Full. Album.

14. MrKnickerbocker

When does it come out, again?

15. Black Wizard

Black Wizard Out of the Silent Planet

16. Mosh

2017 is shaping up to be a weird year so far. Donald Trump is president, Wonder Woman was awesome, and I like the new Iced Earth album.

Brigantium likes this.
  17. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

Yes. It is stunning.

18. Black Wizard

Black Wizard Out of the Silent Planet

It's such a good album. It's great, really great. Do you know how great it is? It's, like, the best album of the year. The best album of the year so far. Covefe.

LooseCannon likes this.
  19. Perun

Perun Climbing like a monkey Staff Member

So I finally got around to listening to Clear the Way, and I have to admit that I'm pleasantly surprised. I have no reservations with calling this a great song, very original by IE standards, and quite engaging.

20. MrKnickerbocker

Just listened to the whole album for the first time. First impressions: Black Flag is solid, Clear the Way is awesome. Everything else, though not bad at all, sounds like something I've heard 100 times.