Iced Earth

With all of the re-recording they do, it's impossible not to compare the vocalists. Virtually every song from NOTS has been recorded with Barlow on vocals, mostly in-studio. I vastly prefer Barlow to Greely and since IE have provided album-ready versions of most Stormrider songs ft. Barlow, those are are the ones I'm going to listen to.
I never though of it in terms of all that re-recording. :P I don't even own 'Days of Purgatory' for some reason. I guess I've never felt the need for it as I'm perfectly happy with how the first two albums sound anyway and I own 'Alive in Athens'. Both vocalists have an evil sounding quality to them that works really well for the songs they sing IMO. Take 'When the Night Falls' off the debut album for example. The guy is a crap singer, but that's not always the point in Metal. I find that as long as someone's vocals suit what a band is trying to do then it's all good, and 'When the Night Falls' sounds bloody awesome with that original vocalist (Gene Adam perhaps? Night Prowler will tell us...). Neither of the are Matt Barlow of course and let's not try to imagine them attempting the closing stages of 'A Question of Heaven'!

I the amount of re-recording that Jon has done is a bit crazy. Most of the first two albums with Barlow, the Something Wicked trilogy with Ripper, some of 'Framing Armageddon' with Barlow and then 'Dante's Inferno' with Stu. I wonder what's coming next?

I'd rather listen to original Greely versions of NOTS songs than the ones on DOP, and that's coming from the biggest Barlow fan on the forum :P They re-recorded some instruments and Barlow sounds restrained. AIA is a different story, he's in full power there.
Overture Of The Wicked SUCKS. Probably the worst recordings IE ever did. It's disgusting.
Those 3 songs from FA that were re-recorded with Barlow for I Walk Among You EP sound so much better with him on vocals.
Dante's Inferno 2011 is just OK, nothing special. Stu sang the song much better on the Kourion live album.

I'm torn about When The Night Falls. At first I really hated how they changed the chorus on the re-recording and later live albums, but now I don't mind. I still prefer the original version of the song, despite the vocalist.

I'd rather listen to original Greely versions of NOTS songs than the ones on DOP, and that's coming from the biggest Barlow fan on the forum :p They re-recorded some instruments and Barlow sounds restrained. AIA is a different story, he's in full power there.

That is true. I still really like the DOP version, though.

Overture Of The Wicked SUCKS. Probably the worst recordings IE ever did. It's disgusting.

Agreed. I put it on my iPod, listened to it once...immediately deleted.

Those 3 songs from FA that were re-recorded with Barlow for I Walk Among You EP sound so much better with him on vocals.

The Clouding is epic. That album would've been great with Barlow, and the elimination of all the instrumental garbage.

Dante's Inferno 2011 is just OK, nothing special. Stu sang the song much better on the Kourion live album.

Yes, he did. I fully expect a flaming procession after I say this, but...

...I prefer Stu's take on Dante's Inferno from Kourion to the original album version...

Dante 2011 is so lame. It's awesome that they brought it back but it doesn't touch the Barlow versions.

Iced Earth rotates more members than people do phones.

I liked Dystopia, although I'd like something a bit different with Plagues of Babylon.

Dystopia was like a cookie cutter album. A typical IE album and nothing more, pretty boring. When I listen to it I feel like they've written every song before (probably multiple times).

I wanted to say that it would be nice for them to change it up a bit, but then I remembered that last time they did that we got those god awful SW albums. So maybe they should just call it quits. :P

Dystopia was like a cookie cutter album. A typical IE album and nothing more, pretty boring. When I listen to it I feel like they've written every song before (probably multiple times).

I wanted to say that it would be nice for them to change it up a bit, but then I remembered that last time they did that we got those god awful SW albums. So maybe they should just call it quits. :p

The last two albums have felt like complete retreads of old material. Framing Armageddon, though padded with filler, has some really good material on it (even though I'm not a Ripper fan). And Glorious Burden is so bad, IMO, with the exception of Declaration Day. The Gettysburg trilogy is awesome. I would have been happy if the album was just "Star Spangled Banner"-"Declaration Day"-"Gettsyburg". Trim all the fat. The last great album they made was Horror Show.

I'd love it if they could pull out something new and unexpected, but Iced Earth has never really been the most surprising band around.

So maybe they should just call it quits. :p
I'm not really sure how Jon can justify touring as Iced Earth any more. He's the only guy left so it's not really a band any more.

I would, however, like to see a super group with Jon Schaffer, Dave Mustaine, Mike Portnoy and Axl Rose.

I would, however, like to see a super group with Jon Schaffer, Dave Mustaine, Mike Portnoy and Axl Rose.

And they should undertake a grueling 6 months tour across the world with a camera crew following them, each week a new episode would air with Bruce Dickinson as the presenter. It would be the best metal drama show ever.

Back