Iced Earth

I like him as their singer but the lifespan of Jon's henchmen isn't great. No doubt sooner or later Jon will find out that Stu voted for Obama or that one of his ancestors killed a confederate during the Battle of Gettysurg.
Nah, but eventually Jon will realize that Stu is a free healthcare-loving Canadian.

The only real highlights of Dystopia for me were the title track and Dark City; in general I found most of the album to be a bit uninspired. Nothing really against Stu's voice other than that annoying unfitting hardcore-ish whiny scream/growl he occasionally does. He seems to do those trademark IE demonic screeches well, although I haven't seen him live.

I thought the first Something Wicked album (with Ripper) was far better than the Barlow one. The latter had more filler and lacked passion, especially in Barlow's voice. For an example, listen to both versions of The Clouding -- one with Ripper and one with Barlow -- and you'll probably hear it. Barlow does the lows much better but his voice lacks the spirit that the Ripper version has.

If Stu doesn't work out I say bring Ripper back. Just don't let him sing Dracula.

I thought the first Something Wicked album (with Ripper) was far better than the Barlow one. The latter had more filler and lacked passion, especially in Barlow's voice. For an example, listen to both versions of The Clouding -- one with Ripper and one with Barlow -- and you'll probably hear it. Barlow does the lows much better but his voice lacks the spirit that the Ripper version has.
See, I think it's completely the opposite :P Barlow's version of The Clouding is amazing.

Also, no fucking way about Ripper coming back.
1. He'll never come back because Jon kicked him out via e-mail I think.
2. He's a terrible, terrible frontman. Great vocalist, terrible frontman.
3. His vocals aren't suited for Iced Earth at all.

Nah, but eventually Jon will realize that Stu is a free healthcare-loving Canadian.
I keep on forgetting that Stu is Canadian.:nuts:

If/when Jon kicks him out I recommend that the next singer is someone who can say "Glasgow" properly. Stu pissed me off a year ago with his pronunciation. That's probably why I think he's American.

See, I think it's completely the opposite :p Barlow's version of The Clouding is amazing.

Also, no fucking way about Ripper coming back.
1. He'll never come back because Jon kicked him out via e-mail I think.
2. He's a terrible, terrible frontman. Great vocalist, terrible frontman.
3. His vocals aren't suited for Iced Earth at all.

Someone mixed both versions of The Clouding together here:

I think it's a cool concept, and it fits the song. I also think Ripper's highs fit the band very well, but his lows definitely lacked the depth and emotion of Barlow's. I can't blame Ripper for this, though, since he's a tenor and Barlow is a baritone.

There's some songs I just can't imagine Barlow singing convincingly, such as Red Baron/Blue Max. That said, Ripper had the same problem with the aforementioned Dracula.

That's pretty spineless of Jon if he actually kicked Ripper out via e-mail. And what exactly makes Ripper a terrible front man? Not everyone can be Bruce! :p

Yes, he kicked him out via e-mail to make way for Barlow's return.
The only thing Ripper does on stage is air box. Mike Portnoy, a drummer, is a better frontman than Ripper.

Agree on all points - Especially about Something Wicked part 1 kicking part 2's ass.

Meh, I'd take good singing and bad stage presence over Stu any day.

Sorry @Detective Beauregard but I'm with NP on this one. Barlow's version is vastly superior. I wish they had redone all of FA, P1 with Barlow. That way, I might have actually listened to it in full...

I just don't understand Ripper's appeal. He has one range, and it's falsetto. Everything else sounds like a slightly more tuneful Dave Mustaine, no power, no depth. His stage presence was also incredibly weak. When I saw them with Ripper, I spent more time watching every other member of the band (including the offstage keyboardist/guy triggering choir recordings). His version of Dracula was just pathetic.

I never knew about the email thing, but that's fucked up. As big of an egomaniac as he can be, Jon seems like the type of guy who would fire you to your face. That's shady, Jon.

Without Barlow I have almost no interest in Iced Earth. He is the voice of Iced Earth. They are capable of writing decent music without his vocals (or at least they used to), but it's just not Iced Earth to me. It's like Maiden without Bruce or Symphony X without Russell.

I wish they had redone all of FA, P1 with Barlow. That way, I might have actually listened to it in full...

Apparently you haven't heard Barlow singing Ten Thousand Strong:

I just don't understand Ripper's appeal. He has one range, and it's falsetto. Everything else sounds like a slightly more tuneful Dave Mustaine, no power, no depth.

Ripper's range is actually just slightly smaller than Barlow's. I'll agree that Barlow's lows are perfection, but Ripper's lows aren't terribly awful or anything. Do they lack character when compared to Barlow's? Sure, but many singers' do. He's a tenor; Barlow's a baritone.

http://therangeplace.forummotions.com/t275-tim-ripper-owens?highlight=ripper+owens
http://therangeplace.forummotions.com/t112-matt-barlow?highlight=matt+barlow

When I saw them with Ripper, I spent more time watching every other member of the band (including the offstage keyboardist/guy triggering choir recordings).

:lol:

Yeah, that performance isn't great, but I'll bet it would sound much better on the record. Maybe, instead of re-recording anything, they should just wipe those albums from existence and create a new trilogy.

Ripper's range is actually just slightly smaller than Barlow's. I'll agree that Barlow's lows are perfection, but Ripper's lows aren't terribly awful or anything. Do they lack character when compared to Barlow's? Sure, but many singers' do. He's a tenor; Barlow's a baritone.

It's not a matter of range, it's a matter of tone, timbre, and depth. It's the sound of Ripper's actual voice, regardless of the octave. His voice is thin, it lacks power when he's not belting a high, and it generally sounds like he's forcing an "evil metal" tone over what his natural voice sounds like. Ripper's voice lacks quality, not skill. Whereas Barlow sounds like Satan's highest ranking demon general AND the fallen angel of vengeance at the same time!

It's not a matter of range, it's a matter of tone, timbre, and depth. It's the sound of Ripper's actual voice, regardless of the octave. His voice is thin, it lacks power when he's not belting a high, and it generally sounds like he's forcing an "evil metal" tone over what his natural voice sounds like. Ripper's voice lacks quality, not skill. Whereas Barlow sounds like Satan's highest ranking demon general AND the fallen angel of vengeance at the same time!
:applause:

Wow that was pretty bad. I like how around 1:40 he just gives up on the line. :p Most of his performances toward the end weren't great, though he had his moments.

Yeah, the Detective and I saw him on one of their very first reunion shows in Chicago (Mokena, actually), and though it was a really badass performance, it was obvious Barlow lacked interest in the material he did not record. Compared to the other reunion performances I've heard, though, the band and Barlow were on fire that night.

I'd be interested to see how his voice handles touring for that new band he has. He might just be losing it, getting older and all.

Oh no, I hope not! Barlow losing his voice would rob the world of so much talent.

The day Matt Barlow stops singing is the day heaven and hell begin their war on Earth.

Back