Iced Earth

A not-so-oldie and not-so-goodie. As you enjoy the Iseditionist Earth back catalog, never forget!

I just bought the ticket for this. I thought I'll never get to hear Barlow singing Iced Earth songs live... This is a dream come true.
That's pretty cool! Have a blast!

Seems kinda lame in the grand scheme of things, but damned if it ain't 1,000x better than giving money to Jon Schaffer. It'll be killer to hear Barlow do those tracks.

Seems kinda lame in the grand scheme of things, but damned if it ain't 1,000x better than giving money to Jon Schaffer.
Schaffer will still get royalty payments for the live performance. But yes, he will get less money than if you actually went to see him perform.

Schaffer will still get royalty payments for the live performance. But yes, he will get less money than if you actually went to see him perform.
I'm 99.9% sure that is not how that works, unless Greece has specific laws as such.

Ashes of Ares will be playing covers. They won't send money to Schaffer simply because they performed those songs live. I play in a cover band, we don't pay Jimmy Eat World every time we play The Middle.

How does that work?

Don't know how is it in general and especially in America, but here indeed you are obliged to pay for copyright if you use someone's work, even as a cover.

I'd guess this would be more of a thing across the EU, because the tendency in copyright law seems to converge in general.

Considering the fact the copyright in the US is even more insane than in Europe (see all the bullshit about YouTube takedowns, strikes and such) I wouldn't be past thinking there might be something similar.

(That said, not everywhere it's probably as ridiculous as here, with a state-sanctioned outright mob of "elder musicians" who are acting "on behalf of the artists" and more or less function as a shakedown of everyone who doesn't have such a political pull as they do.
Fun fact, YOU ARE ALSO A PART OF THIS, meaning you as an author are represented by them, meaning they can cash you for your own work, unless you jump through some hoops and check out of that. And other stuff)

Remember: copyright is insane, philosophically dubious at best and legally implemented in the worst way possible.

"You wouldn't steal a car", right?

I'm 99.9% sure that is not how that works, unless Greece has specific laws as such.

Ashes of Ares will be playing covers. They won't send money to Schaffer simply because they performed those songs live. I play in a cover band, we don't pay Jimmy Eat World every time we play The Middle.
How does that work?

TL;DR, in the U.S. at least, the venues pay ASCAP, BMI and SESAC licensing fees for public performances of cover songs, and that's how the money filters back to the rights owners. That's why @MrKnickerbocker never had to worry about it himself.

David Ellefson also talks about this with his Kings Of Thrash tour -- Dave Mustaine gets paid royalties for every show they do, because they're technically performing covers of Megadeth songs where Mustaine owns at least a piece of the publishing. The venues pay the performing rights organizations, who then pay the rights holders.

Don't know how is it in general and especially in America, but here indeed you are obliged to pay for copyright if you use someone's work, even as a cover.

I'd guess this would be more of a thing across the EU, because the tendency in copyright law seems to converge in general.

Considering the fact the copyright in the US is even more insane than in Europe (see all the bullshit about YouTube takedowns, strikes and such) I wouldn't be past thinking there might be something similar.

(That said, not everywhere it's probably as ridiculous as here, with a state-sanctioned outright mob of "elder musicians" who are acting "on behalf of the artists" and more or less function as a shakedown of everyone who doesn't have such a political pull as they do.
Fun fact, YOU ARE ALSO A PART OF THIS, meaning you as an author are represented by them, meaning they can cash you for your own work, unless you jump through some hoops and check out of that. And other stuff)

Remember: copyright is insane, philosophically dubious at best and legally implemented in the worst way possible.

"You wouldn't steal a car", right?
In America, various licensing agencies represent "all artists" and require venues to pay them for live performance rights to their catalogue. ASCAP, BMI, and SESAC are the big ones and generally work as an umbrella license for any venue wishing to have bands perform cover songs. These are usually monthly or annual fees that cover the entire range of works. If a specific musical artist is not part of those organizations, then technically their music should not be performed live by another artist, but there are so many bars and clubs and venues that it's kind of impossible to enforce.

A concert venue pays overall licensing fees to these companies and anything their performers want to do is covered. This is essentially the same for any bar or restaurant that wants to play recorded music over their speakers during business hours from services like Spotify (I believe Pandora has fees included in their business membership).

So, in theory, if Matt Barlow performed Iced Earth songs in a club in the US, the licensing agency that represents Schaffer's catalogue is getting paid, but you can be damned certain the artists are seeing very little to none of those monthly fees in their paychecks.

EDIT: @Jer beat me to it.

There are several types of credits.
First is songwriting credits. Second is performance royalties, you know, from performing on the recordings. And the songs you perform live are subject to songwriting credit payouts (licensing fees). That is why Maiden dropped Hallowed from the live set during that legal conflict a few years back.

Edit: Knick covered that already and much more in depth.

David Ellefson also talks about this with his Kings Of Thrash tour -- Dave Mustaine gets paid royalties for every show they do, because they're technically performing covers of Megadeth songs where Mustaine owns at least a piece of the publishing. The venues pay the performing rights organizations, who then pay the rights holders.
Ellefson is being quite a bit disingenuous here, though. It's not like the band is submitting setlists back to the club, who then send a list of songs performed to BMI, who then specifically pays Dave Mustaine. If anything, Dave Mustaine is making $.0000000000000001 for the entirety of the Kings of Thrash Tour.

Ellefson is being quite a bit disingenuous here, though. It's not like the band is submitting setlists back to the club, who then send a list of songs performed to BMI, who then specifically pays Dave Mustaine. If anything, Dave Mustaine is making $.0000000000000001 for the entirety of the Kings of Thrash Tour.

"Plumb said that on the low end of the spectrum, a $2 to $10 royalty per song is common for smaller venue performances. But in the summer arena tour example, Plumb said he was looking at hundreds of dollars per performance, adding up to around $5,000 for the entire tour."

As far as I remember from a 3 hour lecture on music business law, the promotor must report the setlist, but I am drawing upon 12 year old shards of recollections here.

"Plumb said that on the low end of the spectrum, a $2 to $10 royalty per song is common for smaller venue performances. But in the summer arena tour example, Plumb said he was looking at hundreds of dollars per performance, adding up to around $5,000 for the entire tour."
From that same article:

Parks said venues are paying for a blanket license for millions of compositions, but they might only use a handful of those songs. She would like to see a process where venues can report what’s actually being performed in their rooms.

“Most of the [performing-rights organizations] have a mechanism where artists can go in and enter their playlists, wherever they’ve been touring from, and the [PROs] come up with some kind of calculation and pay them a royalty,” Parks said. “But that’s up to the artist to manually enter that data.”

As far as I remember from a 3 hour lecture on music business law, the promotor must report the setlist, but I am drawing upon 12 year old shards of recollections here.
Though that may be the requirement, it's certainly not upheld. I've played hundreds of shows across the country. I've never once been asked for a setlist, nor seen a single member of the booking staff or ownership paying any attention to what I was playing.

“Most of the [performing-rights organizations] have a mechanism where artists can go in and enter their playlists, wherever they’ve been touring from, and the [PROs] come up with some kind of calculation and pay them a royalty,” Parks said. “But that’s up to the artist to manually enter that data.”
Right, but do you think there's any chance in hell that Mustaine hasn't had his people submit the setlist to get all the Kings Of Thrash royalty money...?

My wish list/predictions for the setlist, when it comes to Iced Earth songs at least:

Iced Earth: This album will be skipped as Barlow didn't sing on it and always struggled on the title track, which was the only song that was regularly in the setlist.

Night of the Stormrider: I think they might do Pure Evil or Travel In Stygian even though Barlow didn't originally sing on this album.

Burnt Offerings: Maybe they can do Last December? Dante's Inferno is too long and needs Schaffer on backing vocals. Same goes for the title track.

Dark Saga: title track, I Died For You, The Hunter, A Question Of Heaven are my predictions, the ones in bold are a must IMO.

Something Wicked: Burning Times, Melancholy, Watching Over Me, My Own Savior, Something Wicked Trilogy are my predictions, the ones in bold are a must.

Horror Show: I can see Barlow wanting to do Ghost Of Freedom as I believe that's the only song where he co-wrote the music. Maybe they can also do Dracula but that's a really hard song vocally.

Stu and Ripper albums will be skipped, of course. And I can't see them doing anything from The Crucible of Man either.

Here's what they played. It was a very cool show. Total pandemonium during the Iced Earth songs... Here's to hoping that maybe next year they do a tour with just Iced Earth songs. Long shot, but this was also a long shot and it happened.

Although if Jon somehow avoids a long prison sentence, pretty sure he'd be able to have a career in Greece still :p

Although if Jon somehow avoids a long prison sentence, pretty sure he'd be able to have a career in Greece still :p

Looks like the terms of his plea deal should get him somewhere between 3.5 to 4 years in prison and a fine of anywhere from $15K to $150K. But a sentencing hearing hasn't been scheduled yet, and it sounds like his lawyers are hoping for that in Jan or Feb of 2024.

I'm surprised he isn't shooting for Feb 2025 so he'd still be free to go on another bear spray rampage in Jan 2025!

Back