Iced Earth

There has been an interesting new page on facebook called "Veil of The Serpent" their page showed up a few days ago and their only post says "A Dark Saga is coming" I wonder if it is IE related.

Holy fucking shit what the fucking fuck. If this is Schaffer’s new shit then he’s literally gotten the weakest vocalist of his career. No bite no power just meh. No way in hell that’s Barlow.

So my partner’s brother gave me copy of the 20th anniversary Alive in Athens vinyl, and I think it sounds fantastic. How do you guys feel about the adjusted tracklist? I think it makes things flow way better than the original did and it’s now become a single sitting listen as opposed to my attention dropping by the third disc.

So my partner’s brother gave me copy of the 20th anniversary Alive in Athens vinyl, and I think it sounds fantastic. How do you guys feel about the adjusted tracklist? I think it makes things flow way better than the original did and it’s now become a single sitting listen as opposed to my attention dropping by the third disc.
Yeah, it sounds spectacular. I've never really considered the tracklist to be honest, but I'm rather happy with the extended crowd interactions. Though I guess, it does feel more like an uninterrupted timeline than with the original tracklist.

I never heard the original order, however the 20th anniversary edition is phenomenal

A different tracklist? I'm not eager to get this vinyl set but interesting they changed it. Having LAD altered would be sacrilege in my ears, and AiA is one of my favourite live albums as well, so I could be pretty conservative about it.

It looks like all the songs are still there, but the order is different. This is probably the actual concert order, as the CD version had three disks, with one being “extra” live versions of mostly older tracks that were probably cut for pacing reasons.

A different tracklist? I'm not eager to get this vinyl set but interesting they changed it. Having LAD altered would be sacrilege in my ears, and AiA is one of my favourite live albums as well, so I could be pretty conservative about it.
It looks like all the songs are still there, but the order is different. This is probably the actual concert order, as the CD version had three disks, with one being “extra” live versions of mostly older tracks that were probably cut for pacing reasons.
LAD flows because it’s a full concert + bonus tracks on Side 4. AiA is three discs of material with varying degrees of accuracy to the original setlists. Here’s what they played at the Rodon Club in ‘99:

Night 1:
1. Burning Times
2. Vengeance Is Mine
3. Pure Evil
4. My Own Savior
5. Melancholy (Holy Martyr)
6. Cast in Stone
7. Stand Alone
8. Desert Rain
9. Watching Over Me
10. Dante’s Inferno
11. The Hunter
12. Blessed Are You
13. Colors
14. Travel in Stygian
15. I Died for You
16. Violate
Encore—
17. Slave to the Dark
18. A Question of Heaven
19. Iced Earth

Night 2:
1. The Dark Saga
2. The Last Laugh
3. Last December
4. Watching Over Me
5. Pure Evil
6. Melancholy (Holy Martyr)
7. Angels Holocaust
8. Stormrider
9. The Path I Choose
10. Diary
11. When the Night Falls
12. Brainwashed
13. Disciples of the Lie
14. Blessed Are You
15. I Died for You
16. Violate
Encore
17. Prophecy
18. Birth of the Wicked
19. The Coming Curse
20. Iced Earth

This is the tracklist for the original CD:

Disc One:
1. Burning Times
2. Vengeance Is Mine
3. Pure Evil
4. My Own Savior
5. Melancholy (Holy Martyr)
6. Dante’s Inferno
7. The Hunter
8. Travel in Stygian
9. Slave to the Dark
10. A Question of Heaven

Disc Two:
1. The Dark Saga
2. The Last Laugh
3. Last December
4. Watching Over Me
5. Angels Holocaust
6. Stormrider
7. The Path I Choose
8. I Died for You
9. Prophecy
10. Birth of the Wicked
11. The Coming Curse
12. Iced Earth
13. Colors (bonus track)

(Bonus) Disc Three:
1. Stand Alone
2. Cast in Stone
3. Desert Rain
4. Brainwashed
5. Disciples of the Lie
6. When the Night Falls
7. Diary
8. Blessed Are You
9. Violate

And here’s the new vinyl tracklist:

Side I:
1. Burning Times
2. Vengeance Is Mine
3. Pure Evil
4. My Own Savior
Side II:
1. Melancholy (Holy Martyr)
2. Dante’s Inferno
Side III:
1. The Hunter
2. Travel in Stygian
3. Colors
Side IV:
1. Diary
2. I Died for You
3. Violate
Side V:
1. The Dark Saga
2. The Last Laugh
3. Last December
4. Watching Over Me
Side VI:
1. Angels Holocaust
2. Stormrider
3. The Path I Choose
4. I Died for You
Side VII:
1. Prophecy
2. Birth of the Wicked
3. The Coming Curse
Side VIII:
1. Stand Alone
2. Cast in Stone
3. Desert Rain
Side IX:
1. Brainwashed
2. Disciples of the Lie
3. When the Night Falls
Side X:
1. Slave to the Dark
2. A Question of Heaven
3. Iced Earth

As you can see, both versions are inaccurate to the original setlists, but the vinyl tracklist isn’t a huge deviation from the original CD. The big change is that the Suffering duo and “Iced Earth” now close the full set. I think the small shake-ups make it flow way better and Disc Three’s tracks no longer seem like bonus material and rather all parts of the whole.

Interesting. The version of A Question of Heaven from AiA is a monster, and I've always thought it would be a perfect way to close the album.

I haven't listened to any Iced Earth for exactly a year now, and I'm still a bit cautious about it, but I'd also be interested in listening to the vinyl, if only I had a vinyl player and setup at the moment.

I’d keep my eyes on eBay and Amazon. Some good prices that don’t link directly back to Schaffer. It’s a cool set (slightly flimsy but the quality of the five records more than makes up for that) and after having my eyes on it for a couple years now, worth the wait finally getting my hands on it.

Back