Iced Earth

Joakim Brodén grocery shopped at the same supermarket as I when I lived in Falun. Something obviously rubbed off.

It's unrelated to the current discussion, but the only reason I haven't checked out The Glorious Burden yet is because of the tracklist. I don't trust any album that starts with The Star-Spangled Banner.

It's unrelated to the current discussion, but the only reason I haven't checked out The Glorious Burden yet is because of the tracklist. I don't trust any album that starts with The Star-Spangled Banner.
It’s actually a great cover and segues well into “Declaration Day”. Take the lyrics with a heavy pinch of salt, but overall it’s a fairly underrated album.

I was looking through lyrics to parody and tried to do something with Declaration Day, but holy shit, it doesn’t need it! It reads like one of the parodies we’ve produced around here and also seems highly suspect in terms of foreshadowing.

I was looking through lyrics to parody and tried to do something with Declaration Day, but holy shit, it doesn’t need it! It reads like one of the parodies we’ve produced around here and also seems highly suspect in terms of foreshadowing.

That's what I noticed when I went through a number of seemingly unrelated songs last night. Things like lie and betrayal, seeing the truth, standing up against a monstrous enemy and being alone against the world are recurrent, if not to say dominant themes in Schaffer's lyrics. In retrospect it seems like the entire Iced Earth discography is foreshadowing what Schaffer now is.

I think a lot of that has to do with Schaffer’s upbringing. Didn’t seem like many people were on his side back in the day, and it just made him bitter and easy to see enemies where there are none.

That's the gist one gets from the bio in the Dark Genesis box set. Schaffer describes how he was completely on his own in the beginning, sleeping in his car, then being screwed over in a record deal, etc. I mean, I've known all these things about him for years, it just takes a completely different tone now.

I think a lot of that has to do with Schaffer’s upbringing. Didn’t seem like many people were on his side back in the day, and it just made him bitter and easy to see enemies where there are none.
Yea...it really sucks when you're doing good and your nice and male and white and then pesky shit like BLM keeps popping up to embitter you against your country. Why, when I was a kid, the police could beat who they wanted all willy-nilly and folks were fine with it! (this entire post is sarcasm. i shouldn't have to say that but...you know...Trump)

1) Knowingly Entering or Remaining in any Restricted Building or Grounds Without Lawful Authority

2) Disrupting the Orderly Conduct of Government Business

3) Knowingly Engages in an Act of Physical Violence Against any Person or Property in any Restricted Building or Grounds

4) Violent Entry and Disorderly Conduct in a Capitol Building

5) Engage in an Act of Physical Violence in a Capitol Building

6) Parade, Demonstrate, or Picket in a Capitol Building

7) Carrying bear spray in a Capitol Building

8) Carrying sunglasses in a Capitol Building

9) Storming a Capitol Building

10) Air raid, Serenade, or Lemonade in a Capitol Building

11) Running in a Capitol Building

12) Using feet when walking or running in a Capitol Building

13) Wearing shoes in a Capitol Building

14) Saying "fuck the system" in a Capitol Building

15) Walking in and out of a Capitol Building and entering for the second time to retrieve your banner or flag.

16) Non violent Entry and Disorderly Conduct in a Capitol Building without Lawful Authority

17) Disrupting the Orderly Conduct of Government Business without Lawful Authority

18) Knowingly Engages in an Act of Physical Violence Against any Person or Property in any Restricted Building or Grounds without Lawful Authority

19) Violent Entry and Disorderly Conduct in a Capitol Building without Lawful Authority

20) Engage in an Act of Physical Violence in a Capitol Building without Lawful Authority

21) Parade, Demonstrate, or Picket in a Capitol Building without Lawful Authority

22) Carrying bear spray in a Capitol Building without Lawful Authority

23) Carrying sunglasses in a Capitol Building without Lawful Authority

24) Entering a Capitol Building without Lawful Feet cleaning

25) Walking in a Knowingly Capitol Building without Unlawful Authority

26) Running in a Capitol Building without Facemask

27) Using feet when walking or running in a Capitol Building without Lawful Authority

28) Wearing shoes in a Capitol Building without Lawful Authority

29) Saying "fuck the system" in a Capitol Building without Angry Face

30) Disrupting the Orderly Conduct of Government Business with Lawful Authority

31) Knowingly Engages in an Act of Physical Violence Against any Person or Property in any Restricted Building or Grounds with Lawful Authority

32) Violent Entry and Disorderly Conduct in a Capitol Building with Lawful Authority

33) Not knowingly engage in an Act of Physical Violence in a Capitol Building with Lawful Authority

34) Not knowingly engage in an Act of Physical Violence in a Capitol Building without Lawful Authority

35) Play Golf in a Capitol Building without Lawful Authority

36) Unknowingly running in a Capitol Building without Lawful Authority unless carrying the White House golf balls.

Last edited:
1) Knowingly Entering or Remaining in any Restricted Building or Grounds Without Lawful Authority

3) Knowingly Engages in an Act of Physical Violence Against any Person or Property in any Restricted Building or Grounds

15) Walking in and out of a Capitol Building and entering for the second time to retrieve your banner or flag.

16) Non violent Entry and Disorderly Conduct in a Capitol Building without Lawful Authority

17) Disrupting the Orderly Conduct of Government Business without Lawful Authority

18) Knowingly Engages in an Act of Physical Violence Against any Person or Property in any Restricted Building or Grounds without Lawful Authority

19) Violent Entry and Disorderly Conduct in a Capitol Building without Lawful Authority

20) Engage in an Act of Physical Violence in a Capitol Building without Lawful Authority

21) Parade, Demonstrate, or Picket in a Capitol Building without Lawful Authority

25) Walking in a Knowingly Capitol Building without UnLawful Authority

27) Using feet when walking or running in a Capitol Building without Lawful Authority

31) Knowingly Engages in an Act of Physical Violence Against any Person or Property in any Restricted Building or Grounds with Lawful Authority

32) Violent Entry and Disorderly Conduct in a Capitol Building with Lawful Authority

33) Not knowingly engage in an Act of Physical Violence in a Capitol Building with Lawful Authority

34) Not knowingly engage in an Act of Physical Violence in a Capitol Building without Lawful Authority

36) Unknowingly running in a Capitol Building without Lawful Authority unless carrying the White House golf balls.
Ur.....what?

I think you hit the nail on the head there. Jon has always been the distrustful/paranoid type. This Pittsburgh Post article goes into more detail on that then any other recent news Ive seen.

I Loved Iced Earth in high school but tapped out hardcore after that train wreck that was In Glorious Burden. Since then Ive considered them not much more then entry level US power metal. The saddest/funniest thing of all this has got be the thought of Jon staying up late thinking he discovered all of these grand conspiracies while Netflix style binging 4chan.

25) Walking in a Knowingly Capitol Building without UnLawful Authority

Is that a list of charges or your ideal Iced Earth setlist?

Question for those smarter than me: could Stu, Luke, Brent, and Jake continue the band under the 'Iced Earth' moniker, kicking Schaffer out, or is Schaffer the legal owner of the band and thus the only thing they could do would be to leave and form their own group?

I was inspired by these highly redundant sounding charges. Very American. For a few days I had to laugh by myself about these.
Today, seeing all the other fun, I wanted to ridicule the redundancy of these charges. And had a lot of fun doing so.

Last edited:
Question for those smarter than me: could Stu, Luke, Brent, and Jake continue the band under the 'Iced Earth' moniker, kicking Schaffer out, or is Schaffer the legal owner of the band and thus the only thing they could do would be to leave and form their own group?
Probably Jon owns it.

Reactions: Yax
Back