I need your guys' help.

@spiralofdivinity:
I must disagree. Maiden had every opportunity to find a Bruce replica, just like Priest did with Owens. But that's not what they were looking for. Enter Blaze. I think just about anyone who replaced Bruce would have been bashed from here to eternity ( [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--] ) - just look at how people reacted to Ripper.

hang on a sec they kinda did de-tune on some songs

e.g dont look to the eyes 1/2 step down .... and fortunes of war i actually play this with a drop D tunning it sounds awesome.... and a few others on X-Factor they used dropped D tunnings im sure they do..

If you listen to Blaze's Live double cd he actually plays Sign of the Cross Half step lower and it kicks arse i think the whole CD of his is half step lower....

and then even some songs on brave new world i reckon Adrians guitar parts he uses a drop D tunning and even on rock in Rio im sure he does ...

Anyway back to the playing live Hallowed be thy name they have sped it up a bit on LAD and it totally kicks arse better than NOTB..

ok the songs are slightly shorter but they rock faster live.. onc song i was dissapionted was with Still Life when they played live around the SSOASS tour they trashed it ...

cheers

[!--QuoteBegin-maiden_detroit+Mar 8 2004, 12:50 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(maiden_detroit @ Mar 8 2004, 12:50 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] Maiden has been playing for 20+ years. A lot of these songs have been around as long. If Blaze couldn't change his pitch to match 20 year old songs, he had no business singing them. You don't drop the tuning in a song to match the singer. It changes the sound of the whole song. If you want NuMetal, listen to NuMetal. [/quote]
Tuning the guitars lower would not give a "numetal" sound as you describe it. Instead it would suit Blaze's lower range and not make him sound so out of key as he did when he sang Bruce songs.

My music composition is in C tuning (Lowest to higest: C G C G C E) and it's a melancholic funeral march, not nu-metal. Infact, most nu-metal tunings originate from the jazz and blues of the 1930s which was an influence of Iron Maiden, although not as much as classical which also used alternate tunings a lot.

The fact is that Maiden with Blaze would have sounded much better tuned down and that is fact.

Whoaa, I wasn't here a bit and what a rush, everybody posting and so... [!--emo&:blink:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
Anyway, here are my opinions.
Live albums: I only have Live after death and Rock in Rio, I've heard tracks off the other ones, but not heard the full albums. Yes they play some songs faster and Bruce sounds awful on some songs on Live after death, but I really like these albums a lot. They really show up the potential Maiden has. And also, they have a better sound than the studio albums.
Blaze Bayley - Saviour of Iron Maiden: in some ways, he is the savior of Maiden. I agree with the one who said that Blaze brought fresh life into a dying band. I also must say that i really like him; he doesn't have a huge range like Bruce, but he has power and emotion in his voice. There are a lot of songs which he did a great job, like Iron Maiden, Wrathchild, Heaven can wait, Fear of the dark, and he improved Afraid to shoot strangers. But it's also true that he didn't gave a well job on number of the beast, The evil that men do, 2 minutes to midnight and the Trooper. However, the only Blaze-era song that Bruce sang well was The clansman. The others sound awful.
The Evolution of Iron Maiden and where can they go next: very interesting topic. We all know how Maiden's songwriting changed, from the early punkish-hard rockish sound to the classic heavy metal style of the 80's, the progressive albums (Somewhere in time, 7th son), the more raw and rather hard rock No prayer and Fearof the Dark. The opinions about the Blaze albums are different. As for the X factor, I think it's Maiden's best since 7th son, altough Dance of death is close, but Dod has some songs which aren't in the same leage as the others. And listen well: I think the X Factor has a huge influence on the reunion albums. Without the X factor we wouldn't have songs like Brave new world, Blood brothers, Dream of mirrors, No more lies, Dance of death and Age of innocence. The X factor is very progressive, and a very dark sounding album, so it takes quite a feww listens to absorve it. The beauty of this album is it's consitency and the fact that it extends Maiden's music without changing their style so much like other bands did. In 1995 the X factor sounded very fresh, and it was a significant moment in Maiden's musical evolution. However, Virtual XI was a big letdown. It had great songs, but it wasn't such a great album. The reunion albums hadn't done much new for Maiden, but what they did was necesarry. I'm speaking of taking back the shorter and more in your face tracks and let the progressive ones become more progressive. So the reunion albums integrate the elements of the old and new Maiden, with a bit of innovating (like Pashendale, Face in the sand). (I think Brave new world and Dance of death are ideal ways to introduce Maiden to knew fans.) Of course, this has a lot to do with Adrian's and Bruce's return. The reunion gave a fresh air to the band like when Blaze entered them. I'm really excited about the next album.

Best wishes,
"Seventh Son of a Seventh Son"

The live albums: i've pretty much heard RiR and LAD in their entirety, and i love the albums, but a few songs on LAD kind of horrify me, like Hallowed, i dont know if it was just me but i didnt like his singing there, but otherwise..the speeding up part, i liked it on Flight of Icarus, it's a refeshing change, and on Revelations, although i dont remember it much anymore..RiR is untouchable, to me at least, it shows that these guys can still rock harder than all these Numetal little assfats and are nearly twice their age, hails to FOTD and the Evil That Men Do on RiR [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
Blaze Bayley, Saviour Of Iron Maiden: I'd have to agree, cause they couldve went and got some Bruce wannabe, but they didn't, and Blaze has an AWESOME voice. and i think he did great things in Iron Maiden, although i havent heard his solo things (ill get to it..one day![not that i dont wanna but i'm saving up for the iced earth concert near the end of the month])his voice has alot of feeling and power, its not an air raid siren, but like on 2 A.M., i can imagine him sitting there staring up at the sky questioning his life and the meaning of everything. and when i heard him do Afraid to Shoot Strangers (destroy this post for this one comment, but its what happened, i swear.) i had an orgasm right on the spot. I had just thought him a replacement of sorts, then i realized that he is bruce's equal IF NOT better in his own ways, sure he wont be able to sing Bruce's signature air raid songs like him, but The X-Factor was a well deserved kick in the ass for me. i'd have to say Virtual does kind of lack, just for the feel of it and stuff, but great songs..Blaze is something wicked on Lightning Strikes Twice, his voice like..soars after every word to me on this song. I hold all maiden singers in equal lights, they all helped the band and they Complemented(sp?) each other perfectly. And an off topic thing..am i the only person who doesnt really prefer doing Paul songs? the only ones i can stand are ones at live shows, and the LAD ones, but I just CANT STAND him on Prowler '88 or Charlotte The Harlot '88, it just bugs me alot. back to Blaze.. He is an awesome singer and I can't wait to hear his solo stuff, i'm sure it rocks just as hard as Bruce's did, if not more [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] and like the guy's name thing said (forgot his/her name but you'll know who you are) "Bruce Is God, Blaze Is The Messiah!" But he wasnt just a Messiah, he is a honored and accepted member of the band, at least in my opinion.

BTW...Who's seeing Iced Earth on the Glorious Burden tour?!?!? [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--] (since someone mentioned poor ole Ripper earlier..he still kicks ass though!)

Live at Donington is without doubt their best live effort for me. As it's really a taped radio broadcast without any cut-outs or overdubs it's more of a bootleg than any other Maiden live album, and none of the others have the same sense of continuity. Plus there's some truly awesome live renditions on there.

Live After Death is partially ruined by Bruce's tired voice, A Real Live/Dead One is really weak and Rock In Rio is sloppily edited, has that awful cut-and-paste and lacks the energy of a live performance.

Back