I need your guys' help.

LooseCannon

Enterprise-class aircraft carrier
Staff member
Okay. I've started this thread in the hope that I can do something I've wanted to do for awhile now: give Maverick a rant to post on the IMC. However, all you guys have great opinions, and I thought maybe we could make it a group effort. I'll do editing and stuff, but I would love to hear all your thoughts.

The topic I want to do it on is either:

Live Albums (essentially how the four main live collections differ)

Blaze Bayley: Saviour of Iron Maiden

The Evolution of Iron Maiden and where can they go next.

Alternately, anyone else can suggest a topic. I recommend reading a few of the ones over on the IMC first.

As it is..oh...2:35 AM I don't want to start talking yet. But I'd love to hear ideas on which one you guys would like to help with most. If one goes well, we might be able to do another.

yep, good idea - let's think about it.... [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-LooseCannon+Mar 4 2004, 12:37 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(LooseCannon @ Mar 4 2004, 12:37 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] Blaze Bayley: Saviour of Iron Maiden [/quote]
That's an interesting point of view. I personally don't agree with it. I think Blaze is a great singer and I love the Blaze albums, but in my opinion Maiden had a more significant creative reawakening with BNW. The "Saviour" title should probably go to Adrian, whose return to the band seems to have been the key to refreshing their music; after all, writing for 3 guitars instead of 2 is a big difference.

Nonetheless, I can see where you got that idea. There's no denying that getting some new blood in the band made X Factor much better than NPFTD. Also, writing songs to fit Blaze's lower vocal range did re-invigorate the music to some degree.

I'd be willing to contribute to a 'rant' on this topic. I'll take another look at the Blaze albums this weekend, and compare them to NPFTD and FotD to see what musical trends might be evident. I already have some rough ideas about it, but I'll give it some serious investigation and post my findings in a couple of days.

Thanks, SMX. I thought that would be the one that a lot of people would find interesting. I personally think it is true not so much musically, but band-wise. According to what I've read, Steve was ready to call it quits after the debacle with Bruce after FotD.

Maybe just a review, then, of how the arrival of various new members has helped to keep Maiden rolling?

[!--QuoteBegin-LooseCannon+Mar 4 2004, 06:37 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(LooseCannon @ Mar 4 2004, 06:37 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] Blaze Bayley: Saviour of Iron Maiden [/quote]
WTF [!--emo&:eek:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/ohmy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'ohmy.gif\' /][!--endemo--] . no way! worst albums, worst singer, worst art work worst everything. apart from no prayer. aint heard any solo blaze but he is no where near as good as bruce. hardly any singer is a good as bruce at the moment. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] that and blaze is a retard

[!--QuoteBegin-drifter+Mar 4 2004, 06:00 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(drifter @ Mar 4 2004, 06:00 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] blaze is a retard [/quote]
YOU seem to be the retard here. I have no words to express my contempt [!--emo&:angry:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/mad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'mad.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-drifter+Mar 4 2004, 05:00 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(drifter @ Mar 4 2004, 05:00 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] WTF [!--emo&:eek:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/ohmy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'ohmy.gif\' /][!--endemo--] . no way! worst albums, worst singer, worst art work worst everything. apart from no prayer. aint heard any solo blaze but he is no where near as good as bruce. hardly any singer is a good as bruce at the moment.  [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] that and blaze is a retard [/quote]
I believe I said serious discussion only. Now, if you can come in with something productive, even if it's Blaze criticism, then I'll take it into consideration. Trashing something without supporting it is NOT welcome.

[!--QuoteBegin-drifter+Mar 4 2004, 05:00 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(drifter @ Mar 4 2004, 05:00 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] WTF [!--emo&:eek:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/ohmy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'ohmy.gif\' /][!--endemo--] . no way! worst albums, worst singer, worst art work worst everything. apart from no prayer. aint heard any solo blaze but he is no where near as good as bruce. hardly any singer is a good as bruce at the moment.  [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] that and blaze is a retard [/quote]
One word: Ignorant.

Yeah man!! if it isn't for Blaze, Maiden would have disbanded!! I like a lot of Blaze's song sign of the cross the aftermath and judgement of heaven.
i can't believe people will dislike him. Remember:what maiden did then was way better than what other bands are doing....

...like Re-load

...and that this is not Iron Maiden bb so don't bash any of MAIDEN's member.

To be frank, I'm not sure why so many people slag Blaze off so much. If anything, he brought a bit of healthy diversity to the band. I personally think this diversity was excellent, and I love the Blaze albums. And reason completely escapes me why people slag off Janick almost as much; he's a very talented guitarist, and really deserves his place in Maiden.

No Maiden fans have the right to slag off any member of Maiden, and no Maiden member deserves any abuse. They may be different, but they were, and are, all incredibly talented musicians and deserve a lot of credit; Blaze maybe more than most, because he was brave enough to suggest a slightly different path for Maiden. It didn't take, but it was bloody brave to even suggest it.

[!--emo&:nana:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lambada.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lambada.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Arguing the quality of Bruce vs Blaze as "who is best" is always going to be a case of personal preference. It's easy to say Blaze can't hit the same notes Bruce can which is true but what people forget is that Bruce can't hit the notes Blaze can as they both have very different ranges. Take the example of Bruces truely awful renditions of some of the Blaze era songs.
Blaze in a sense did save Maiden since without finding a vocalist to replace Bruce the band would have split up but I've not heard anything that said Blaze was the only option and the other applicants for the job were no good so maybe whoever came in would be Maidens savior.
Blaze is an excelent vocalist with a very powerful voice and brilliant stage pressence and a talent for writing powerful lyrics. Unfortunately for whatever reason this wasnt shown during his years in Maiden or we could have had Silicon Messiah and Tenth Dimension with Maidens logo instead of B L A Z E's

I tend to agree with drifter. Blaze was just a temporary stand-in, and by no means the "savior" of Iron Maiden. Steve Harris is the Father, Savior, and Spirit of Maiden.
I don't think any of you can disagree with that. I do believe songs Blaze worked on with maiden were good songs, but IM has been reborn with Bruce and Adrian back in the line-up.

I didn´t like Blaze until I hard "As Live As It Gets" it´s a great live album with some never before heard Maiden tracks on like Virus...

This is exactly the kind of completely ridiculous argument I expect from the Iron Maiden BB, but not fron this board. This is a civilised discussion. If all you can come out with is 'Blaze is a retard', go somewhere else and stop with such idiotic comments.

[!--emo&:nana:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lambada.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lambada.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Blaze is a good vocalist, but the problem was that Iron Maiden didn't tune the instruments down for his range live when doing Bruce's songs, which made him sing off-key and wear his voice out faster. If they'd have done this things may have worked out better.

But as it is, Blaze is now doing great music with his own band, and if Blaze hadn't left Maiden they wouldn't be around.

im sorry if i have offened anyone, but i just generally hate blaze. He is no where near as good or cool as Bruce or Paul. i feel all the albums are good in their own ways but x factor and virtual XI have the least legendary songs. they are mostly average and at best good. blaze cannot hit a note or let alone hold one like bruce can. Blaze has a good voice just no where near bruce or paul in my opinon. He did not suit previous maiden songs apart from afraid to shoot strangers which is probably the only song he can beat bruce on.

and just wondering would tuning down instruments make the music sound out of key rather than just the signing?

[!--QuoteBegin-Real World+Mar 5 2004, 12:26 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Real World @ Mar 5 2004, 12:26 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] Arguing the quality of Bruce vs Blaze as "who is best" is always going to be a case of personal preference. It's easy to say Blaze can't hit the same notes Bruce can which is true but what people forget is that Bruce can't hit the notes Blaze can as they both have very different ranges. Take the example of Bruces truely awful renditions of some of the Blaze era songs.
Blaze in a sense did save Maiden since without finding a vocalist to replace Bruce the band would have split up but I've not heard anything that said Blaze was the only option and the other applicants for the job were no good so maybe whoever came in would be Maidens savior.
Blaze is an excelent vocalist with a very powerful voice and brilliant stage pressence and a talent for writing powerful lyrics. Unfortunately for whatever reason this wasnt shown during his years in Maiden or we could have had Silicon Messiah and Tenth Dimension with Maidens logo instead of B L A Z E's [/quote]
What he said [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--emo&:huh:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'huh.gif\' /][!--endemo--] not really, one point is the same the rest is different

[!--QuoteBegin-$yk0_H+Mar 4 2004, 06:24 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE($yk0_H @ Mar 4 2004, 06:24 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] One word: Ignorant. [/quote]
isn't the point in a discussion to put different opinions across. just because i have a different opinion to you does that make me ignorant? no! i dont want to get anyone mad at me because of this but its my opinion isn't it. im not calling you retards or ignorant for backing up blaze and disagreeing with me so why do it to me?

Defining Blaze as the 'savior' of Iron Maiden is mostly opinion, i believe it was Real World who said that any vocalist replacing Bruce could have been dubbed that. I think the Fact that Blaze only recorded to albums with maiden makes it clear he was only a temp. It would be better to do Maiden's Evolution and their influences at that time period (black sabbath's heaven and hell, released before maiden's first albums sounds a lot like early harris). The change in vocalists are sheddings of old skin and maturing into something greater. The Dianno albums were great, Bruce quickly overshadowed him because the band's (mainly steve's) writting improved dramatically. Blaze breathed new life into a dying band (this is mostly opinion), but like i said in my BNW post, Brave New World is their best work since their golden era and DOD reaffirmed that. In other words, go with their evolution.

Back