How do you guys feel about the newer Maiden albums?

Do you like Modern Maiden?

• Total voters
I'll answer this for myself, but focus on one album specifically, because I think it has perhaps the most depth of any Maiden album: The Final Frontier. To me, Maiden's output in the 90's, with the exception of maybe Virtual XI, were very one dimensional.
I agree with you that The Final Frontier has quite some variety going on there.

Let me also focus on one album. How is Fear of the Dark very one dimensional? There's a fast aggressive song, there's a rocker, there's something entirely new in the form of ATSS, with such an intro and such vocals on top. That fantastic guitar melody that follows, I also find that different and new. Fear is the Key is very different from these songs. Childhood's End again different. Wasted Love, again different, I could go on for a while. The mood is also not one dimensional. Maybe your interpretation is though (kidding! ;--).
TFF has so much variety and depth though, musically and thematically. Musically, it goes from standard to Maiden (TFF) to Rush-esque prog (Avalon) to 90's Maiden (The Alchemist) to things they've never even done before (TMWWBK). Thematically, every song seems to cover different ground yet somehow they managed to do all this while still making a unified work.
This idea of a unified work, that's exactly what I have with Fear of the Dark. The album flows so well. Even better, because the track order is perfect.
Here's a question for you Foro (or anyone else who wants to jump in): You mentioned repetitiveness in recent Maiden albums, which is definitely a thing. Don't you think they've improved in this area with TFF?
Yes, that's true, I think they did.
At least the choruses have gotten better, I can only recall one especially repetitive chorus in the title track.
Not sure. Well, I really don't like the chorus from The Talisman, and I also like Coming Home's chorus less for different reasons.
But indeed: they do not sound that repetitive or dragging as e.g. The Longest Day. Both albums do not excel when it comes to choruses, although Starblind and Avalon have really great ones.

The Final Frontier is still a decent album to me, but not very great. At first I was very impressed by its richness. I mean, just play the beginning of Mother of Mercy. That build-up...

But I also find the album lengthy, because of other aspects I have mentioned. That's why I am not so urged to play it in the last years. The majority of the tracks sound like (attempts of) things they did in the past, but simply don't come across as impressive. The minority that does sound new are either not that excellent, either they are. Special bonus points for:
Mother of Mercy (I agree that the end it gets a bit lengthy but for the rest!) and Isle of Avalon can spellbind me with their melodies and rhythms. El Dorado is a bit of a dark horse that took time to sink in. Now I think turned into a great live song. Very heavy stuff, great to hear and watch the band play it.

Last edited:
Please read:
Mission Statement
Smileys:

The over-use of smileys, or their addition out of context, is both annoying and unnecessary. Similarly, posts should consist of more than a single smiley in most circumstances. Posters who tend to over-use smileys or make posts consisting of only smileys will be subject to the moderation process.
t impression on the forum community. Please ensure that your account name is in line with the General Posting Rules. Those that violate the Rules will be deleted.

You can read the full Forum Rules here: http://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/forum-rules.23103/

This isn't madness, but if you continue to post smileys with no information, things will happen.

I agree with most of what you said, most fans are stuck in the past. I was lucky because my Uncle gave me my first Maiden albums back in 2007 (A Matter of Life and Death, Brave New World, Fear of the Dark, Seventh Son, Somewhere in Time, The Number of the Beast) I had a good mix ofvold and new which made me unbiased towards any part of Maiden's carrer. I also agree 100% about Bruce, when he came back in 1999 he became the best frontman ever.

For a guy with no valid points or elaberation, he sure did sound like he knew what he was talking about xD

Pick a side, buddy.

Hey man, what's with you attacking specific members like that? I've already seen you do that in another thread. Instead of provoking people, why don't you contribute to the discussion?

But Mosh, that's what the internet is for!

Do elaborate. Why has the depth never been better?

The musical depth and the lyrical depth have both been kicked up a notch. I'm really not going to go into a track by track breakdown or anything, but a lot of old Maiden songs used to revolve around a couple musical ideas - mainly Steve's bass gallop and the twin guitar harmonies. In recent years, we've seen more variations in Steve's bass playing (which really started around TXF), the addition of extended acoustic guitar passages, more use of multi-octave range from Bruce (and more restraint when necessary), synth additions (which started back in the SIT days), multi-layered guitar passages thanks to the addition of Janick, tempo and time change experimentation, etc. etc.

As for the lyrics, they've abandoned a good majority of the "cheeky" humor, the songs about hookers, or simplistic yarns about chasing girls and killing them for more mature topics such as mortality, the afterlife, philosophy, and war and its effects on the human mind, body, and soul. I'm not saying that the earlier material was always immature and sophomoric, or that the newer material is incredibly intellectual and poetic, but overall they have definitely matured from a lyrical standpoint. I'll take the lyrics to Starblind over 22 Acacia Avenue any day.

Do explain. In what way far more consistent in tone? In what way far more consistent in quality? What were silly ideas in SIT?

They seem to look at the overall message of an album much more now. AMOLAD could almost be called a concept album, a trend which started with SSOASS, but was quickly dropped for the "let's write about whatever and throw 'em on the same album" idea used for NPFTD and FOTD. Although I'm not a big fan of TXF, it was around that time that you noticed a bit of difference in album structure and consistency. Steve seemed to get more serious, which we know was actually the case, and I think the band has finally reached a place where they are better for it.

As for SIT, I'm talking about lyrics. I find Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner to just be absurd lyrically. Deja-Vu is a killer song but the lyrics are quite lame. Alexander is a great idea for a song, but the lyrics are textbook and boring.

Enlighten us. When or how are they good?

You're asking too much, Foro. I'm not going to explain how I feel about every song on the reunion albums. Also, how could I describe when they were good? When I first heard them? Or when they were relevant? Not sure what that means.

Good observation on Fear of the Dark's variety, Foro - it may actually be the band's most varied album.
The difference with TFF for me is FotD has too many songs that are simply OK and one I actively dislike.
I actively like everything on TFF.

One of the issues with FotD in my view is the addition of Janick as a writer.
It was something entirely new and I'm not sure that it had entirely meshed with the band's sound yet.
Be Quick (which works completely), Wasting Love, Fear is the Key, The Apparition, and Weekend Warrior remain some of the least maiden-like songs in the catalogue.

EDIT: to be clear, Janick is a fine writer and the issue of "fit" is gone by X Factor.

As a follow-up (after reading more posts), I agree with @Forostar that FOTD is incredibly varied. But as mckindog is saying, that doesn't make it great. I like the album more than most, but I still think its full of clunkers. Its variety is also a detriment, IMO.

As a follow-up (after reading more posts), I agree with @Forostar that FOTD is incredibly varied. But as mckindog is saying, that doesn't make it great. I like the album more than most, but I still think its full of clunkers. Its variety is also a detriment, IMO.
FOTD wasnt amazing but it was better than NPFTD. Songs like the title track, Afraid to Shoot Strangers and Chains of Misery were great. Also, in regards to my earlier post: I wasnt against you or trashing you, I meant it in a sarcastic way. Not litterall.

For me: No Prayer >>> Fear of the Dark

While FotD has the title track, Afraid, Judas and Childhood's End (simplistic but great in melodies), its every other song is down at the very bottom of their discography. One song I almost hate is Fear is the Key.

As for No Prayer, maybe the number of awesome tracks isn't that big (Mother Russia and Public Enema) but no track is awful. Holy Smoke and Hooks in You get close but both of them have at least one great part imo: solo in Holy Smoke and harmony in Hooks in You. The whole album is full of quite strong songs, making the album stable and good to listen to. I'd compare No Prayer with BNW in terms of consistency but the latter is of course better. No Prayer doesn't have that weird sound either, as FotD does.

Maiden has lots of better albums but I like to give NP credit for its playability, if you get me. It doesn't get boring.

Let me also focus on one album. How is Fear of the Dark very one dimensional? There's a fast aggressive song, there's a rocker, there's something entirely new in the form of ATSS, with such an intro and such vocals on top. That fantastic guitar melody that follows, I also find that different and new. Fear is the Key is very different from these songs. Childhood's End again different. Wasted Love, again different, I could go on for a while. The mood is also not one dimensional. Maybe your interpretation is though (kidding! ;--).
Fear is definitely a mixed bag. It is also filled with generic rockers like From Here to Eternity, Chains of Misery, Weekend Warrior, The Fugitive. So yes, lots of variety mixed with the generic rockers. It's definitely more varied than No Prayer and X Factor, I'll give you that. But like Dog, my problem is also the fact that I don't think Fear is a good album. It's the only Maiden album I dislike and contains several of my least favorite songs. Variety only means so much when the material is of low quality. That's why I kinda tried to stress that an album being one dimensional isn't a bad thing. AMOLAD is pretty one dimensional and it's my 2nd favorite album, same with X Factor and it'd probably be my favorite of the 90's. Even No Prayer is pretty one dimensional and I'd take it over Fear without a second thought.

This idea of a unified work, that's exactly what I have with Fear of the Dark. The album flows so well. Even better, because the track order is perfect.
Actually, I think I can agree with this. For its flaws, Fear is tracked pretty well.

Not sure. Well, I really don't like the chorus from The Talisman, and I also like Coming Home's chorus less for different reasons.
But indeed: they do not sound that repetitive or dragging as e.g. The Longest Day. Both albums do not excel when it comes to choruses, although Starblind and Avalon have really great ones.
The quality of choruses is something we'll have to agree to disagree on, I think AMOLAD has good choruses when they aren't repetitive (Different World, BTATS, The Legacy) and TFF as a whole is a huge improvement chorus-wise. But glad you agree about the repetitiveness, that's what I was focused on anyway.

But I also find the album lengthy, because of other aspects I have mentioned. That's why I am not so urged to play it in the last years. The majority of the tracks sound like (attempts of) things they did in the past, but simply don't come across as impressive. The minority that does sound new are either not that excellent, either they are.
I find the album lengthy too, but I like when albums take a long time. As long as they don't drag, and I don't think TFF drags. I agree that a lot of the tracks sound like the band revisiting old ideas, but I think they improve these old ideas for the most part.

And yes, Mother of Mercy, Isle of Avalon, and El Dorado are all great songs.

The musical depth and the lyrical depth have both been kicked up a notch. I'm really not going to go into a track by track breakdown or anything,
Alright, well I thought that by picking out songs it would be more clear to show what you're talking about. Kicked up a notch is not really saying much, if you don't say why you think so.
but a lot of old Maiden songs used to revolve around a couple musical ideas - mainly Steve's bass gallop and the twin guitar harmonies. In recent years, we've seen more variations in Steve's bass playing (which really started around TXF),
So that's a good side of the nineties then. Did Steve use again new ideas in this century or did he stay with what he made up in previous decades? I agree that the others certainly contributed in doing new things, but I am not sure of Steve's contributions. E.g. also songwriting-wise, I think that the last excellent song he wrote by himself was on The X-Factor. I am not sure what he did when he collaborated with others so that's harder to say.
the addition of extended acoustic guitar passages, more use of multi-octave range from Bruce (and more restraint when necessary), synth additions (which started back in the SIT days), multi-layered guitar passages thanks to the addition of Janick, tempo and time change experimentation, etc. etc.
Indeed, some of these have been new indeed, although not entirely. Most striking to me are some rhythms Adrian brought in, in e.g. Paschendales. He was doing such stuff already with Psycho Motel. Good he brought it to Maiden. But in Blood of the World's Hands there's also odd rhythms coming up.
And the different guitar layers that the amigos brought on e.g. the couplets in Brave New World (Dave: open clean chords, Adrian: rhythm, Janick: melody line) are refreshing.

Still, when I think of depth, I do not merely think about using different techniques. Melodies can also be deep (to be honest, in my view, they are the core of Maiden's sound), or atmospheres, moods. Admittedly, this is perhaps more difficult to describe, but I miss such depth on relatively many newer Maiden songs.
As for the lyrics, they've abandoned a good majority of the "cheeky" humor, the songs about hookers, or simplistic yarns about chasing girls and killing them for more mature topics such as mortality, the afterlife, philosophy, and war and its effects on the human mind, body, and soul.
I don't think Maiden did that many of these cheeky things. And they actually started doing all these more serious things in previous decades.
I'm not saying that the earlier material was always immature and sophomoric, or that the newer material is incredibly intellectual and poetic, but overall they have definitely matured from a lyrical standpoint. I'll take the lyrics to Starblind over 22 Acacia Avenue any day.
That's an easy one, because 22 was about a hooker, and yes Starblind is quite something. But as I stated, 22 is not exactly representative. I take the lyrics of Hallowed Be Thy Name over The Fallen Angel any day. ;-)
They seem to look at the overall message of an album much more now. AMOLAD could almost be called a concept album, a trend which started with SSOASS, but was quickly dropped for the "let's write about whatever and throw 'em on the same album" idea used for NPFTD and FOTD.
I think you make a mistake here. First Fear of the Dark:
Fear is one of the basic emotions. It is explored in most songs, if you (want to) make the connections with feelings and thoughts that are connected to fear.
Fear is indeed not always the main element in the songs, but sometimes, something is caused by it, or leads towards it, so it runs in most songs (not all indeed) as the "red thread" through the album.
Certainly this is a mind album. Maiden's first psychological album, dealing with real -often common- issues. A deep one.

Be quick or be dead
.... a bit of a warning song; be careful or else... (being careful of something; that's something that's driven by fear; something could go wrong)
From Here to Eternity
.... in essence, this song is about not being afraid, so in a way it is about (overcoming) fear as well, although bandmembers have stated that it is not a serious song but a good laugh, a joke, and just a follow-up in the Charlotte series.
Afraid To Shoot Strangers
.... that's a clear one.
Fear is the Key
.... also obvious, about fear that exists in sexual relationships, because of aids.
Childhood's End
.... fear of the world (a doomy prospect for children; people afraid of having children).
Wasting Love
.... about continuing to have short-termed relationships, caused by fear of loneliness, fear of feeling a void.
The Fugitive
.... obvious, someone is afraid to be caught, because he wants to clear his name. An "on the run"-theme certainly involves fear.
Chains of Misery
... tough one. Well, it is about being affected by the little devil on your shoulder, causing often in feeling miserable, or guilty, and these are emotions that are connected to fear as well. Also a moral to the story could be "don't be afraid of that devil, or its consequences".
The Apparition
.... I think the lyrics are urging to not be afraid of living your life (with passion).
Judas Be My Guide
... this one might have the least to do with fear (although the wish of having a guide, can come out of fear of doing something without something/someone else).
Weekend Warrior
... social behaviour done out of fear of not belonging; I admit it's more about the behaviour and the dealings with it, than about fear itself.
Fear of the Dark
.... obvious.
Now No Prayer: No Prayer is also not "let's just throw anything on this". For the first time, the band deliberately wanted to make songs about matters that moved them in the real, outside world. Social awareness. After No Prayer, I think that with Fear of the Dark the band went further into a certain 'realistic, down to earth' direction and therefore I don't think it is a coincidence that the topics deal with all kinds of mental uncertainties. Fear is more directed inwards: personal, feelings of band members.

You're right, there's also songs that deviate from what I just wrote, there's e.g. Hooks in You, Bring Your Daughter, Tailgunner and The Assassin. The first two are more goofy, and the last two try more to identify with people who need to kill, motivated by two entirely different causes (war and mind).

But AMOLAD has Benjamin Breeg, Different World, Out of the Shadows and The Pilgrim which have nothing or hardly to do with its main theme(s).
So, seriously, I do not think much has changed, although some goofiness has disappeared and Bruce became more poetic in some songs. Still, I think you are wrong with your (dis)qualifications on the lyrics when it comes to the first two albums of the nineties.
Although I'm not a big fan of TXF, it was around that time that you noticed a bit of difference in album structure and consistency. Steve seemed to get more serious, which we know was actually the case, and I think the band has finally reached a place where they are better for it.
As stated, the band had already become more serious about their lyrics. The X-Factor was an album that took very long to make, and Steve went through personal tragedy (I think his divorce). This gave the album a moody, gloomy touch. But actually, the lyrics draw inspiration from different things, most not being the happiest topics. Introspective songs, songs inspired by novels and cinema, songs about the outside world (war), philosophical songs. The goofiness is gone, but it already was on Fear of the Dark (o no, not totally --> From Here to Eternity).
As for SIT, I'm talking about lyrics. I find Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner to just be absurd lyrically.
Have you seen the film or have you read the book? This is not just about distance running. There's a whole psychological concept (loneliness, dealing with expectations of others, self discipline) behind the sports topic in the original story. I am sure that such aspects motivated Steve to write a song about it (although I have the idea that he changed the main plot somewhat).
Deja-Vu is a killer song but the lyrics are quite lame. Alexander is a great idea for a song, but the lyrics are textbook and boring.
I don't find Deja-Vu's lyrics lame. I think the words had to be simple and speedy, and the sentences short, because it fits the songs dynamics.
You're asking too much, Foro. I'm not going to explain how I feel about every song on the reunion albums. Also, how could I describe when they were good? When I first heard them? Or when they were relevant? Not sure what that means.
Well, you already explained more than you earlier did, but I've found it hard to find out what you find good. But you've told more now. E.g. I found out what you find bad. Certainly, to you, an album suffers when it has one or two goofy songs. So as long as Maiden stays serious, they're going to have bonus points. ;-)
Still, I hope you don't mind me saying, but I feel that you shouldn't discard some albums too early. They can grow, especially when you see there's more to it than meets the eye.

Anyway, thanks that you took the time for your feedback, much appreciated.
Good observation on Fear of the Dark's variety, Foro - it may actually be the band's most varied album.
The difference with TFF for me is FotD has too many songs that are simply OK and one I actively dislike.
I actively like everything on TFF.

One of the issues with FotD in my view is the addition of Janick as a writer.
It was something entirely new and I'm not sure that it had entirely meshed with the band's sound yet.
Be Quick (which works completely), Wasting Love, Fear is the Key, The Apparition, and Weekend Warrior remain some of the least maiden-like songs in the catalogue.
Cheers Mckindog. Well, I prefer to talk about personal opinions, but I take it that you yourself agree with this statement. I think that it has to do with taste. What do we search for in a song? I can't really identify with the lyrical subjects of Wasting Love and Fear is the Key, but I absolutely can with The Apparition. You might have seen me bragging about these lyrics before, but I find them so stimulating, even inspiring. Also, I find it interesting how Steve tries to face a topic like hooliganism. Now the music, these are -for Maiden at least- rather slow songs. Also, the typical harmonies that we were used to in the eighties were stripped. Check out this comment by Dave Murray, taken from an interview from the IM-Commentary:
- - - - - -
quote2_start.gif
As far as Fear of the Dark is concerned there's the aforementioned diversity, but conspicuous by its absence is the patented Maiden twin lead sound that the band have used to such effect in the past. Murray is quick to pick up on the point.
quote2_end.gif

Dave Murray: I guess we've used a lot of harmony parts in the past and everyone's got used to that. With this album though it wasn't that we tried to move away from that, it was just that they didn't fit. There's a classic track on there called 'Afraid To Shoot Strangers' where there could've been harmony parts all over the place, but they just didn't seem right so we took 'em off. Sometimes that harmony stuff can just sweeten things too much and we felt that although we'd used keyboards to maybe add textures to songs, we didn't want the song to lose any of that power.
- - - - - - -

I admit that it took a while for me to appreciate these new directions. But they did try new things. You could call them failed experiments, but at least Maiden did something else; they did it in a serious, dedicated way. Most songs that I like less on newer albums, I don't like because they do not sound new (recycled).

I honestly believe people when they say they hate these songs, but I am often curious to know what drives them. There is a song, and there is the listener, and there are others... circumstances and people (e.g. on a forum ;-) It all comes from more directions. I find them all interesting to learn to get the total picture.

I also feel that the works of the nineties have been stigmatized, because they are in between two successful decades. Who knows some members can still discover things in these albums. Same goes for me with the newer albums. I should not be done with them yet.

Last edited:
Fear is definitely a mixed bag. It is also filled with generic rockers like From Here to Eternity, Chains of Misery, Weekend Warrior, The Fugitive. So yes, lots of variety mixed with the generic rockers. It's definitely more varied than No Prayer and X Factor, I'll give you that.
I don't find Weekend Warrior a generic rocker at all. Both in music and lyrics very different from e.g. From Here to Eternity. Nor find I The Fugitive generic either. Again different. That intro, that calm part right after it with the keyboards. Seriously, so different. The songs are mostly midtempo, maybe that's why you find them generic. I am not bothered with that aspect.
But like Dog, my problem is also the fact that I don't think Fear is a good album. It's the only Maiden album I dislike and contains several of my least favorite songs. Variety only means so much when the material is of low quality.
And as long as that quality aspect is not explained, I take it as a personal opinion (which we all have here ;-) but I feel it doesn't say much about the material itself.
That's why I kinda tried to stress that an album being one dimensional isn't a bad thing. AMOLAD is pretty one dimensional and it's my 2nd favorite album, same with X Factor and it'd probably be my favorite of the 90's. Even No Prayer is pretty one dimensional and I'd take it over Fear without a second thought.
You are clear about this indeed. Not sure if I find No Prayer one dimensional, because it goes in several directions (both musically and lyrically) but if it feels that way to you, I respect that of course. :ok:

You guys make me laugh, slagging FOTD, probably the last album of the classic era, while praising an album that can cure insomnia (AMOLAD).

Back