Why A Matter Of Life and Death is Iron Maidens best album

I want to say more, but I'm leaving soon so I'll just say this for now:
There's definitely a recurring lyrical theme, though I don't think it's the only one and I don't think it's explored in every song.
Fear is one of the basic emotions. It is explored in most songs, if you (want to) make the connections with feelings and thoughts that are connected to fear.
Fear is indeed not always the main element in the songs, but sometimes, something is caused by it, or leads towards it, so it runs in most songs (not all indeed) as the "red thread" through the album.
Certainly this is a mind album. Maiden's first psychological album, dealing with real -often common- issues. A deep one.

Be quick or be dead
.... a bit of a warning song; be careful or else... (being careful of something; that's something that's driven by fear; something could go wrong)
From Here to Eternity
.... in essence, this song is about not being afraid, so in a way it is about (overcoming) fear as well, although bandmembers have stated that it is not a serious song but a good laugh, a joke, and just a follow-up in the Charlotte series.
Afraid To Shoot Strangers
.... that's a clear one.
Fear is the Key
.... also obvious, about fear that exists in sexual relationships, because of aids.
Childhood's End
.... fear of the world (a doomy prospect for children; people afraid of having children).
Wasting Love
.... about continuing to have short-termed relationships, caused by fear of loneliness, fear of feeling a void.
The Fugitive
.... obvious, someone is afraid to be caught, because he wants to clear his name. An "on the run"-theme certainly involves fear.
Chains of Misery
... tough one. Well, it is about being affected by the little devil on your shoulder, causing often in feeling miserable, or guilty, and these are emotions that are connected to fear as well. Also a moral to the story could be "don't be afraid of that devil, or its consequences".
The Apparition
.... I think the lyrics are urging to not be afraid of living your life (with passion).
Judas Be My Guide
... this one might have the least to do with fear (although the wish of having a guide, can come out of fear of doing something without something/someone else).
Weekend Warrior
... social behaviour done out of fear of not belonging; I admit it's more about the behaviour and the dealings with it, than about fear itself.
Fear of the Dark
.... obvious.

Last edited:
Some of these seem like very loose connections. You're right, Fear is a basic emotion, I'm sure if you went through all of Maiden's material, you'd find it in a lot of songs. But yes, it does seem particularly present, probably because of the title.

Some of these seem like very loose connections. You're right, Fear is a basic emotion, I'm sure if you went through all of Maiden's material, you'd find it in a lot of songs. But yes, it does seem particularly present, probably because of the title.
I think that with Fear of the Dark the band went further into a certain 'realistic, down to earth' direction and therefore I don't think it is a coincidence that the topics deal with all kinds of mental uncertainties. They did the 'realistic'-thingy already on the previous record, but that one was more about the outside world (socially aware), and Fear is more directed inwards: personal, feelings of band members.

Last edited:
That was (early to mid) 90s culture all over. Introspection, re-evaluation. Paranoia, even.

Each to there own, but AMOLAD wasn't my cup of tea, long intros, generally over long songs that don't really get going, mid-tempo and plodding, lacking great hooks. Certainly don't agree its the masterpiece people talk about.

I pretty much share your opinion of the album - too much plodding, the only truly great songs are BTATS and FTGGOG, with TLD almost being great. The rest are pretty much uninteresting or filler.

I think The Legacy is a great song as well. The only drawback is that each of the sections is maybe a bit too long, musically. (Especially the part after the solo). However, I find the lyrics of that song captivating and the high points good enough to make up for that.

The Longest Day is great, except the chorus is too happy-sounding for the dark mood of the song. I guess it's meant to sound triumphant, but that doesn't fit. I doubt the soldiers in Normandy felt very triumphant on that day ...

Lord of Light has some great riffing, but the chorus maybe falls in that "plodding" category.

At the time of release, I felt the album was great. I still think so, but some of the songs haven't aged as well as the others. The ones I find myself listening to most frequently today are BTATS and The Legacy.

I really love Lord of Light. That sinister, intricate atmosphere in the softer part. Priceless. I also like Breeg a lot (tremendous live song).

I really love Lord of Light. That sinister, intricate atmosphere in the softer part. Priceless. I also like Breeg a lot (tremendous live song).
Two of my favorite Maiden tracks of all time. I think that, compositionally, AMOLAD achieved some great cohesiveness within those long, over-wrought post-1993 epics that's never been quite matched on any other album... well, certainly anything from TFF or DoD (save Paschendale and the title track).

The only tracks I have a real problem with are FTGGOG and The Legacy, because both really test the limits of my tolerance for repetitive riffing (and the lyrics in the latter are extremely awkward in some places). Despite this, it's definitely one of Maiden's most consistent records as well. There's no "Age of Innocence" or "Man Who Would Be King" to muck it up :p

For the Greater Good of God's repetitiveness is the only "problem" I have with AMOLAD. I find Different World and Out of the Shadows average as well but they're good when you're playing the album in its entirety.

Opposite to most other albums, I like AMoLaD less than I did when I heard it for the first few times. Loved it back then, top 3 album, since then it has fallen a lot.

I bought it the day it was released. I appreciate it for it's moments of brilliance, but it's my least favorite reunion album. Some of the guitar melodies are amazing, but for the most part the album feels like Maiden by the numbers for me. I don't feel that extra spark that makes the band the greatest in the world is present in the majority of the tracks.

However, it does contain some of Bruce's most poetic lyrics, which is a huge plus.

Is some old antihistamine meant to be potent or something?

That stuff is drowsy as hell. AMOLAD isn't as bad as Tylenol PM or anything, so I settled for Benadryl.

Listening to the same chord progressions and cliched lyrics about the horrors of war wear thin about 4 tracks into it. I do enjoy a few songs off of this album, but they never stood out to me among Maiden's entire discography. The songs begin to sound the same and it's a drag listening all the way through. People just automatically think that "Long Songs = Prog Masterpiece". To each his own, but I don't see what's impressive.

I absolutely love Brave New World, and am kind of let down by its lackluster successors (Though DOD had its gems).

Last edited:
People just automatically think that "Long Songs = Prog Masterpiece".
I hate when people think that songs are automatically considered "prog masterpieces" because they're long. There are plenty of long songs I dislike. Length is hardly a factor.

I hate when people think that songs are automatically considered "prog masterpieces" because they're long. There are plenty of long songs I dislike. Length is hardly a factor.

My feelings exactly. I feel like bands like Dream Theater and Opeth (as much as I like them) inadvertently started a fad for bands writing long songs so everyone will grovel at their feet.

I like AMOLAD a lot and (same thing happened with the X-Factor), the album only grew on me after listen dozen times. That didn't happen with DOD and even less with TFF. AMOLAD is much more consistent and i think the only weaker songs are the first two. I always liked Out of the shadows and Breeg.

Funny that i think repetitiveness doesn't work in e.g. TAATG but it works quite well in most songs of AMOLAD.
I don't think the middle section adds anything to the TAATG. If we cut it, than the song it's actually good (for my tastes, at least).

I was very active on the official forum back in 2006 in the months or so before AMOLAD came out. I remember all the hype and discussions about the album, all the first snippets of songs, all the Bejamin Breeg mystery. The release of the video etc before the album. Then when the album dropped it was my most played album for about 6 months, and I went to see them on the opening night of the European leg :) That was just a great time to be a fan. Very strong album still I feed, although I'm kinda OD'ed on it since then. Lord of Light is a fave!

The best ''reunion era'' album for me. Without a single doubt. BNW follows closely, and TFF and certainly DOD somewhere in the back.

Back