How did you feel when the reunion was announced in 1999?

chaosapiant

Ancient Marinade
So the title of this thread says it all. What were your feelings as a fan in 1999 thinking that Blaze and Virtual XI would be the template for all future Maiden?

For me ecstatic is not the word. Bruce is coming back? Adrian too?? Three guitarists? I've never cared much about family but the closest I can equate it to was a kid's divorced parents getting back together. I actually like the Blaze albums a lot, even VXI. But there was a part of me that I didn't want to acknowledge that knew that something was missing. They could still write great songs, but the swashbuckling feeling of adventure of their earlier releases was missing. And then as the months wore on and we got news of Brave New World coming out, first the album cover and then the Wicker Man single, I couldn't believe it. Maiden was back. And they so effortlessly rose back to the top of metal as though they never really left. I can't believe that was almost 20 years ago now.

When I heard the news I was over the Moon. Apologies to those that are, but I was not a fan of the Blaze era( well, Blaze). So having Bruce back plus Adrian was like a godsend for me. BNW was an excellent comeback album, at the time their best since 7th Son IMHO.

Last edited:
I’d bought the Ed Hunter compilation containing that rubbish game, but was stoked to hear about the reunion.

Like many I had raised eyebrows about Janick remaining in the band.

I wasn’t thrilled there was no U.K. tour dates.

The set list was amazing though.

BNW was a strong return to form, and made the reunion far more credible.

I’d bought the Ed Hunter compilation containing that rubbish game, but was stoked to hear about the reunion.

I wasn’t thrilled there was no U.K. tour dates.

The set list was amazing though.

Yeah, the game wasn't very good...didn't realize they didn't do the UK for Ed Hunter.

Yes indeed. I think my eyebrows are still raised a bit. Though in fairness he's raised the bar for himself since the reunion.
Agreed.

Personally, when the reunion was announced I was a little disappointed because Bruce and Adrian had been cranking out excellent solo material in '97 and '98, certainly better than any of Maiden's post-Seventh-Son material, and I was afraid that returning to the band would be a step backward for them.

As it turns out, it was a bit of a step backward (though pretty much anything would be after The Chemical Wedding), and I continued to have some qualms about the reunion until A Matter Of Life And Death was released. That album was finally on par with the classics in terms of overall quality, and the tour where they played the entire thing from start to finish was amazing.

That said, when I think about how we could have gotten a new Bruce / Adrian / Roy Z record every year or two for the last 18 years, and maybe a few more Andy-Makin-era Psycho Motel albums too, I do have some regrets. But I'm content with where things are today.

F'n THRILLED! And then disappointed when the date in the Bay Area was cancelled due to Dave Murray's finger injury. We (the Bay Area) had the misfortune of missing 3 straight Maiden tours in a row (X Factour, Virtual XI, and the reunion tour) due to issues/cancellations. So when they finally made it back to the Shoreline Amphitheatre for the BNW tour, I lost my damn mind.

Last edited:
Yes indeed. I think my eyebrows are still raised a bit. Though in fairness he's raised the bar for himself since the reunion.

Agreed.

Personally, when the reunion was announced I was a little disappointed because Bruce and Adrian had been cranking out excellent solo material in '97 and '98, certainly better than any of Maiden's post-Seventh-Son material, and I was afraid that returning to the band would be a step backward for them.

As it turns out, it was a bit of a step backward (though pretty much anything would be after The Chemical Wedding), and I continued to have some qualms about the reunion until A Matter Of Life And Death was released. That album was finally on par with the classics in terms of overall quality, and the tour where they played the entire thing from start to finish was amazing.

That said, when I think about how we could have gotten a new Bruce / Adrian / Roy Z record every year or two for the last 18 years, and maybe a few more Andy-Makin-era Psycho Motel albums too, I do have some regrets. But I'm content with where things are today.

I can't imagine an alternate universe where the Bruce solo band continues much beyond The Chemical Wedding, at least in that format. As far as I know, the album didn't sell very well and his solo gigs were still a far cry from what he was doing with Maiden. That had to be demoralizing for someone who had just put out one of his best works (and surely at least part of the reason the Maiden reunion happened). If there was no Maiden reunion, I could see them doing one more album tops before Bruce moved on to something else. Maybe flying full time? I really doubt they would've continued making music together to this day though.

One thing i'll admit to is sometimes wondering/wishing for a 3rd album with Blaze. I enjoyed the previous two albums very much and would like to have heard Blaze get a third shot. But I'll never trade the albums we got post -reunion for that pipe dream.

F'n THRILLED! And then disappointed when the date in the Bay Area was cancelled due to Dave Murray's finger injury. We (the Bay Area) had the misfortune of missing 3 straight Maiden tours in a row (X Factour, Virtual XI, and the reunion tour) due to issues/cancellations. So when they finally made it back to the Shoreline Amphitheatre for the BNW tour, I lost my damn mind.

True story. I was not there and finally there along with you!

Back