How did you feel when the reunion was announced in 1999?

Discussion in 'Maiden Chat' started by chaosapiant, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Meliegree

Meliegree Be yourself unless you can be like H.

They split? For me it always has been:

- Fear of the dark
    - Skunkworks
    - Chemical Wedding
    - Brave new world

:D

i was quite happy but also sad, because I love his solo material.

Night Prowler likes this.
  2. Ruflux

Ruflux Educated Fool

No love of Accident of Birth? I always felt like that one's a bit underrated. People remember TCW as Bruce's greatest work (and I don't disagree) but AoB laid out the foundation for it and has a bunch of great tracks on it and yet it feels like most regard it as an okay album at best.

Jer likes this.
  3. Meliegree

Meliegree Be yourself unless you can be like H.

I prefer Skunkworks to be honest. Accident is not bad album but for me nothing stands out as much as I would like to.

4. chaosapiant

chaosapiant Ancient Marinade

I actually like Accident of Birth more than Chemical Wedding.

MW564, KidInTheDark666, FTB and 5 others like this.
  5. Black Bart

Black Bart Ancient Mariner

I think TCW is the best album overall but I may prefer the song "Accident of Birth" over anyhting else from his solo career.

Ruflux likes this.
  6. Ruflux

Ruflux Educated Fool

I'm kind in the same boat myself actually, although I rank AoB as an album pretty close behind TCW. I absolutely love the song Accident of Birth though. The lyrics in particular, but the instrumentation is obviously very good as well.

Black Bart likes this.
  7. Magnus

Magnus Ancient Mariner

Mildly optimistic. Little did I know. A sadder and a wiser man now.

8. GhostofCain

GhostofCain Ancient Mariner

Probably a masochist too, given that you are still here 19 years later! :D

Magnus likes this.
  9. Magnus

Magnus Ancient Mariner

[​IMG]

10. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

A fat +1.

frus likes this.
  11. srfc

srfc Ancient Mariner

Possibly me too. There's not much in the difference, TCW gives the illusion of being better as it's a concept, but the best tracks on AOB are better than the best on TCW

linnane666 likes this.
  12. GhostofCain

GhostofCain Ancient Mariner

I beg to differ. :D

srfc likes this.
  13. srfc

srfc Ancient Mariner

Well there's not much to argue about between both albums as they are both excellent 10/10 albums, as is Skunkworks

Jer and GhostofCain like this.
  14. GSW23MaidenFan

GSW23MaidenFan Invader

TCW, IMHO, may be a more musically creative and innovative album, but AOB could seemingly have the catchier tunes. In any case, both are incredibly stellar Bruce releases, and sounded fresher than anything Maiden had done during his hiatus from the band,

GhostofCain likes this.
  15. stjerky

stjerky Nomad

Balls to Picasso too.

frus likes this.
  16. chaosapiant

chaosapiant Ancient Marinade

It’d be really cool one day if Maiden would play some of Bruce’s stuff live. I’d love a Maiden version of the title track to AOB.

17. Black Wizard

Black Wizard Cereal Litigator

No, it would be better if Bruce performed his solo material on a solo tour.

frus, Randalf, Night Prowler and 3 others like this.
  18. Zare

Zare sorry Zed

The problem here is board's lack of mechanism that would display how much people "dislike" that post ;)

19. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Yorktown-class aircraft carrier Staff Member

To be fair, some forum members may have abused that system in the past by giving certain Malaysians -666 for fun and profit.

20. deslock

deslock Invader

One word: apprehensive

Though the mix and production on TXF and VXI was terrible, the songwriting inconsistent, and Bayley's range limited, those albums were an improvement over FOTD and NPFTD.

I was ecstatic about Smith returning. Harris is the band's backbone, but Smith is also a fantastic songwriter and player, and his departure from Maiden was a huge blow.

I had mixed feelings about Dickinson returning because I didn't care for his raspy singing on many FOTD and NPFTD songs, and his attitude in the 1990s wasn't great: he was critical of Smith for how he left Maiden, didn't put much effort into Maiden in the 1990s (I saw them on the NPFTD tour and he sounded pretty bad), said some terrible things about Harris and TXF.

That written, Dickinson is a larger-than-life personality, a phenomenal singer (with fantastic stage presence), and a talented songwriter, so I can forgive him for occasionally having been a bit of a jerk. No one is perfect, and I certainly couldn't withstand the spotlight as well as he has.

Once they released Brave New World and toured, my apprehension was gone. Dickinson sounded amazing on that tour, and his renditions of Sign of the Cross and The Clansman were superb. Rock in Rio has my favorite versions of those songs as well as Hallowed Be Thy Name, The Trooper, The Evil that Men Do, and Fear of the Dark. And the subsequent studio albums have all been strong. The last 18 years have been a great time to be a Maiden fan.

Black Abyss Babe likes this.