History of Iron Maiden Part 4...

As disappointing as it is I totally get not doing a part 4 doc......at the moment. It might happen when the band is done but whilst the band are active I don’t see the point.

I became a maiden fan a few years before Bruce left and I remember it being quite a difficult time. Steve and Nicko were VERY vocal in the music press about how they felt Bruce shit on the band by leaving when he did. Bruce retaliated with a few choice words himself. Basically apart from Davey and Janick who kept their dignity there was tons of mud slinging. How could they do a documentary knowing if they try and avoid some of what was said the fans would know and poor scorn on a watered down interview. Either that or they tell it warts and all and drag up loads of unessessary shit.

Imagine if you had a falling out with your best mate that lasted a few years and they became friends again. Nearly 20 years later your asked to bring up what happened. Would you really want to tell how you thought your mate was a total C*** and bring up all the old shit again?

As I said maybe when the band is done and dusted we might get a final doc covering the 90’s and the reunion era when it won’t matter as much if your being truthful about a sore subject.

What would be better is if someone independent of the band did a good in depth career documentary where they could say what they wanted without fear of upsetting the Apple cart. I’m not talking about all those cheapo crap dvds that spring up featuring Dennis Stratton, Tony Moore and Paul D’ianno talking about the same old stuff. No a decent top rated film maker that could do a really good job and not have to worry about upsetting anyone.

Yes the guys are all professional and should be able to talk about all of this but they are mates and work colleagues too.

I seem to recall Nicko touching briefly on Bruce's departure once, saying (not word for word) something along the lines of "Yes, of course there were heated words spoken between both sides, but it's in the past."

He acknowledged it, but played it down. I mean, of course there's going to be harsh words in any break up, but what's the point in rehashing it? They certainly don't need to air dirty laundry to get attention.

I mean, c'mon, this is Maiden, not Kiss.

I seem to recall Nicko touching briefly on Bruce's departure once, saying (not word for word) something along the lines of "Yes, of course there were heated words spoken between both sides, but it's in the past."

He says a lot more in a 1993 Kerrang interview with Jason Arnopp (which is part of an ebook of Arnopp's metal interviews on Amazon called From the Frontlines of Rock - well worth a read). It starts with Nicko talking about Bruce, "He's going his way, we're going ours. Fuck 'im - let's get a new singer! That's it... cut 'n' dried [...] My father, rest his soul, said to me once, 'Son, if anyone shits on the McBrain name, they'll only do it the one time' [...] He's said, 'Fuck you, I'm off!' If that aint shitting on you, then what the fuck is?'

And so on, but you get the gist.

The rest is well worth a read. Bruce says, NPFTD 'had some excellent songs on it, but sounded like a bag of shit'. He also says he think FOTD is the best album they did since Powerslave. Strange days indeed...

Anyway - part of me wonders whether now would be an ideal time to do History part 4 - when they are massively successful again, on the back of the LOTB tour, having gone through their problems and rebuilt and are firmly out the other side. With nothing to proves, it'd be much easier to be honest about a long passed patch of aggro in those circumstances and show how much work went and determination went into what they are now. But, I'm not expecting it soon alas.

He says a lot more in a 1993 Kerrang interview with Jason Arnopp (which is part of an ebook of Arnopp's metal interviews on Amazon called From the Frontlines of Rock - well worth a read). It starts with Nicko talking about Bruce, "He's going his way, we're going ours. Fuck 'im - let's get a new singer! That's it... cut 'n' dried [...] My father, rest his soul, said to me once, 'Son, if anyone shits on the McBrain name, they'll only do it the one time' [...] He's said, 'Fuck you, I'm off!' If that aint shitting on you, then what the fuck is?'
Nicko said later one that the journalist got him to say that after making him drunk and a lot of insistence.

Just found this on YouTube, posted 2 days ago.

If genuine then this would be the earliest public domain recording of Iron Maiden, with Dennis Wilcock on Vocals.

The Kerrang interview referred to by @Orlando Monk above:
http://www.ironmaidencommentary.com..._reallivedead&lang=eng&link=albums#interview2

Underneath there's another interview with Bruce from "Hard Rock" in which he mentions the Kerrang interviewer getting Nicko drunk - it seems there were no hard feelings even then :).

Yeah, in the ebook version there's a postscript where the journalist talks about the next time he saw Nicko, and Nicko pushed him up against the wall and he thought he was going to get a kicking, but of course it was just Nicko mucking about and they went off and drink ensued.

Lots of booze, basically, there was a lot of booze involved and sounds like Bruce understood that.

Hi All,

I've scoured the net to try and find any info on this, but anyone know if/when Maiden will release the "history of" part 4?? I love the first 3 and would love to see them do the next chapters...

Thanks
I see the history Parts one and two where can you find part 3?

where can you find part 3?
It's on Disc 2 of "Maiden England '88".

From memory it ends with Adrian, somewhat ominously, saying something like "a year later I wouldn't even be in the band any more."

Cliffhanger alert :scared:

It's on Disc 2 of "Maiden England '88".

From memory it ends with Adrian, somewhat ominously, saying something like "a year later I wouldn't even be in the band any more."

Cliffhanger alert :scared:
Yea, it absolutely ends on a "to be continued" note that makes me think their absolutely is or was plans for a 4th volume that would bring us up to 2000. I absolutely want a dvd/blu ray with the stories of how Adrian and Bruce left, came back, and the Blaze stuff. It's a dark period of the band, but a lot of great songs were written and that period led to the 2000s where Maiden is still on top after 20 (wtf?) years.

Yea, it absolutely ends on a "to be continued" note that makes me think their absolutely is or was plans for a 4th volume that would bring us up to 2000. I absolutely want a dvd/blu ray with the stories of how Adrian and Bruce left, came back, and the Blaze stuff. It's a dark period of the band, but a lot of great songs were written and that period led to the 2000s where Maiden is still on top after 20 (wtf?) years.
And for me, that era was by far the most interesting era of the band. Adrian leaving, Bruce leaving, his solo career/bashing Maiden, Maiden trying to survive through the '90s with Blaze, and the lead-up to the reunion.

But the fact it's been so long since Part 3 makes me wonder if they've abandoned the idea of finishing it, particularly with there being no video release of Book of Souls: Live Chapter. Not that it would have been on there, but it's an ominous sign that they may be done with live videos and hence, History of... documentaries. I hope I'm wrong.

And for me, that era was by far the most interesting era of the band. Adrian leaving, Bruce leaving, his solo career/bashing Maiden, Maiden trying to survive through the '90s with Blaze, and the lead-up to the reunion.

But the fact it's been so long since Part 3 makes me wonder if they've abandoned the idea of finishing it, particularly with there being no video release of Book of Souls: Live Chapter. Not that it would have been on there, but it's an ominous sign that they may be done with live videos and hence, History of... documentaries. I hope I'm wrong.
That fact that BOS: Live Chapter wasn't produced by Shirley or released as a physical medium makes me suspect that they wanted to release some live material as cheaply as they could to see what the return would be. It's the first live album since the reunion (and correct me if I'm wrong) to not feature Shirley as producer. Instead a lot of it just sounds like venue soundboard recordings tweaked/mastered by Tony Newton, which would be a way of releasing a super cheap live album/compilation.

So that said, I'm hoping that I'm right that it was a one-off sort of (how cheap/lazy can we be) experiment and that we're not done with physically packaged live products that get as much attention as their studio albums.

It seems the band doesn't think there's money in DVD releases for recent concerts. Maybe they would feel differently about archival stuff, although I don't have the sales numbers in front of me to compare. I'd love to see a Donington DVD, but maybe the demand isn't there/they're saving it for retirement.

Maiden have obviously given up on DVDs. There was none for TBOS live Chapter, and they put all their documentaries on their YouTube channel.

It's a shame. I wish they'd been quicker with the history DVD releases, not milking the classics tour cow that much, but we'll have to live with it.

Maiden have obviously given up on DVDs. There was none for TBOS live Chapter, and they put all their documentaries on their YouTube channel.

It's a shame. I wish they'd been quicker with the history DVD releases, not milking the classics tour cow that much, but we'll have to live with it.
This. I will still never understand the whole Maiden England tour. 3 years? I felt they could have released a Part 4 DVD in 2014 as a bridge between the Maiden England Tour and new album. Then they could have done a more generic greatest hits set in 2014 linked in with songs from the 80s and 90s. They could have played Tailgunner (rehearsed in 1999), Man on the Edge, Clansman, BQOBD and deeper cuts from the 80s. The 2014 tour was a bit of a waste IMO.

I will still never understand the whole Maiden England tour. 3 years? I felt they could have released a Part 4 DVD in 2014 as a bridge between the Maiden England Tour and new album. Then they could have done a more generic greatest hits set in 2014 linked in with songs from the 80s and 90s. They could have played Tailgunner (rehearsed in 1999), Man on the Edge, Clansman, BQOBD and deeper cuts from the 80s. The 2014 tour was a bit of a waste IMO.

The 2014 tour could have been a ''90's era tour'' mixed with classics from the 80's and a less complicated stage design (as a tribute to the early 90's tours). But they probably wanted a quick short tour (they've done only 3 changes in the setlist) because they were working on TBOS album - idk.... or they just wanted to milk the tour for one more year before releasing it (the same happens now with the LOTB tour cycle).

''Tailgunner'' rehearsed in 1999? I didn't know about that.

I get the concept of 2014 - covering the whole History of Maiden (for 80's anyway) thing, but the execution was poor. Yes, marketing is marketing, but replacing one of the more essential songs (The Clairvoyant) with Wratchild, by using the " --likely to be the last time we will tour with a set list based on the ‘80s, and therefore the last time fans will EVER hear some of these songs played live. With this in mind, for the 2014 dates we plan to change the set list around a little, to make it more equally representative of the whole of the ‘80s period." excuse is one of their lamest setlist moves in recent memory.

It's not that the set didn't flow well, or please most concert goers, but it's the whole package for 2014 was a bit unimaginative, even if Revelations worked well and the setlist structure supported the marketed concept.

I think that History Part 4 along with one or two 90's additions for 2014 leg (or why not for 2012/13 too) would have been a clever way to deal with the 90's issue, especially since we got the essential Blaze-era centerpieces for Legacy tour. Including Be Quick or be Dead and/OR Bring Your Daughter... to the Slaughter would have made the 90's coverage - thanks to the rather brilliant inclusion of Afraid to Shoot Strangers - already wider than what Somewhere in Time got.

Oh well, fantasies, fantasies... History Part 4 would be very interesting, but given the quality and pace of the Part 3 (it did offer a couple of brilliant stories and insights though), I doubt that it'd give us anything that the already existing releases, such as Bruce's book and other notable and easily accessible sources didn't provide.

Granted, I'd like to see them talking about the mentioned era retrospectively together and no doubt, we'd get a bit more insight and a couple of interesting notes, but overall, I doubt their interest when it comes to making a proper, quality document of that era. As interesting as it would be. But then again, you never know... :)

Maiden England 2014 is the laziest thing they have ever done. At least Legacy of the Beast 2020 covers continents they haven't visited yet and the European leg is about taking a step up to become a stadium band in some countries.

Back