Historical Figures 20 Questions

So we're looking for someone

-who's primary contribution to history was in the field of science
-who served in the military (at least one day) in the period between 1780-1945
-who did not contribute much in the cultural field (at least not a primary contribution)

Was this scientist's field one of the phyical sciences (i.e.- astronomy, chemistry or physics)?

Deano said:
Was this scientist's field one of the phyical sciences (i.e.- astronomy, chemistry or physics)?

Great question!

Yes, the scientist's field of research was in one of the physical sciences.

Was this person born in a country that has had an unbroken political existence from his birth until today?

Wasted155 said:
12.  Did the scientist do a substantial amount of research while in North America?

12. Yes.

Perun said:
Was this person born in a country that has had an unbroken political existence from his birth until today?

Can you clarify what you mean by that?

A quote about this fellow:

"We probably wouldn't have [done a certain thing] without him.  Actually, we couldn't have [done that certain thing] without him."

Oh, good. There's only like 15,000 German-born scientists who worked in North America.

Come now, Perun, a fine young historian like yourself ought to be able to narrow it down.  Ask some more questions!

Does the serving in the military mean:

Inventing something for the military only (so the person was not drafted/ he didn't carry weapons / didn't fight)?

The first few suspects I (and probably everyone else) had never served in the military.

Did he ever work for the nazis?

Forostar said:
Inventing something for the military only (so the person was not drafted/ he didn't carry weapons / didn't fight)?

This person wore a uniform but was involved in a non-combat role related to their field of research.
Perun said:
Did he ever work for the nazis?

15. Yes, he worked for the Nazis.

It is Dr. von Braun!

Wernher von Braun was a German rocket scientist who developed the infamous V2 rocket for the Nazis.  He had drawn up the plans as a way of exploring space.  Dr. von Braun's dreams were realized when he contributed his designs to NASA's space program.  He designed the Saturn V rocket, the most powerful rocket we've ever successfully used as a launch vehicle - as well as the safest.

Back