Here we go again...Iron Maiden sued over the rights of 6 songs

When legal action is ongoing it feels wrong to discuss it online, or in any form of media.
It does. KcKay's banking on it not actually going to court, I reckon. We would have got in so much trouble at work for reporting in so much depth on a legal matter before it's been heard in court, even though this isn't criminal law. Online speculation by random punters tends to be overlooked because as the saying goes, you can't believe what you read on the internet, it's just seen as gossip. A person who's actually involved trying to influence the outcome is well dodgy.

He's sounding more unhinged and less and less professional as time goes on. If he's all about justice, I don't understand why he didn't oversee a single case or series of cases at the same time against Maiden and its management. It would have been high impact and more likely to result in settlements that were agreeable to all those seeking recognition for their work. Now he just looks like someone with an almighty personal grudge who has carefully planned a series of legal disputes well into the future, with people who he's talked into it. If evidence is found that he's acting with malice (which can include personal gain, including status, not just being generally malicious), I do wonder how this would/will affect a legal hearing.

Okay thanks, I managed to completely miss that thread. So he was less happy about it a few years later. But I'd still be interested to know if he actually got as far as bringing this oversight to the attention of Steve/Rod. It was 38 years ago after all, when they did the first album. And since the songs on it had been in their live set for however many years before that they had probably just stopped thinking about who wrote what by the time they did the album.

I remember reading some time ago that the reason why Paul Day is not on the Early Days DVD is because he wanted some monetary compensation for his contribution on Strange World.

I love Maiden, I love Steve Harris, no matter what happens: he stays my favourite song writer of all time, also if a couple of the songs were co-written with others. But it would be better if these "others" have a credit as well, if they deserve one.

It seems to be more than a couple! :D

Is it definitely McKay commenting and not just an imposter with an almighty amount of time to burn?

From a 10,000 ft view, this whole thing is rather funny. A courtroom full of well educated/well paid legal experts diligently arguing over who wrote "Charlotte the Harlot show me your legs, Charlotte the Harlot take me to bed".

I bet the truth is somewhere in the middle. Steve/Rod probably made some hasty (and ultimately unwise) decisions on the song credits in the early days, and the early ex-members probably got delusions of grandeur and overstated their contributions once they realized the financial size of the Maiden empire that they missed out on.

I think the final take away is that no one 40 years ago could have predicted that this little pub band from the East End would eventually become a vast global multi-million dollar corporation.

Maiden's success is build on their music. Yes they have beautiful and interesting lyrics as well (mostly written by Bruce imho), but these lyrics came much later and had nothing to do with the early members. Even if true and Wilcock wrote these stupid lines ( and they're stupid no matter who wrote them) it has nothing to do with the fame the band obtained over the years. His pathetic, laughable and unbelievable claims he knew nothing regarding Maiden using his lyrics is the main reason i don't believe there is any truth in his claims.

But it would be better if these "others" have a credit as well, if they deserve one.

Credit has nothing to do with it. How could it? They can hardly recall all the albums and add the name Wilcock to a couple of tracks. They should have been creditted originally, but they weren't, and a court case won't change that.

This is about money. Wilcock deserves fuck all. He hasn't contributed anything to Maidens success, if he stayed in the band they'd have got no further than pub gigs. What's glaringly obvious from the bootlegs from 77 that have surfaced is that Steve was the only member of those line ups that had any musical ability. The only reason those songs made any money in the first place is because of Steve's talent. The only way any of those shysters are making any money out of the music business is from attaching themselves to the Maiden brand. I hope Maiden's lawyers issue cease and desist proceedings against any of these cunts who got into bed with McKay the next time they put on gigs that are milking the Maiden brand name.

The lyrics to Charlotte are the most embaressing and dated in Maiden's career. Maybe Maiden should pay him off as a way of disowning those lyrics.

Last edited:
The point is: what to do now about the particular errors.

McKay needs to have separate cases ready for court. He needs to prove ownership of lyrics and music belonging to these ex-Maiden members, and then he needs to prove striking similarity between those and album versions. The former is going to be tough because having a bootleg doesn't mean Paul Day wrote the lyrics or whatever.

The best thing Maiden mgmt could do is to admit the truth and say Steve definitely had enough input into album versions to claim a credit but the songs have been played in the revolving door lineup of a demo band and they didn't remember then, and they don't remember now, who wrote the earlier versions. They're willing to fairly compensate any person that can lawfully claim a part in songwriting.

I fully agree with Black Abyss Babe that he's dragging the waters to make a fuss and settle. It's mega tour time currently, don't forget that. However this time it's Maiden deep cuts and not Hallowed be thy name which is one of the greatest/most popular metal songs ever. That's why he's off the cuff on Blabbermouth, this time the case is shaky, with Beckett there is a studio recording, as I've said ex-Members will have to claim ownership of the material in some meaningful way, "I have a bootleg when I was in the band, hence the song is mine" doesn't cut it.

What seems more plausible to me is that Maiden could use the comments he made to prove that he has a grudge and isn't objective. So please do screenshot that comment section in case he decides to delete the comments (if possible, don't know)

Perhaps you have not read his comments? Too much to printscreen.

His latest (DISCLAIMER: again not very nice wording by Mr. McKay) speaks of taking a "Polygraph test".
"MY POLYGRAPH CHALLENGE TO STEVE HARRIS AND DAVE MURRAY" (etc.)

I might be wrong, but I think the polygraph is not used in the UK. It sounds like a publicity stunt from McKay.

Last edited:
Correct. It's unreliable. An anxious person will fail and a sociopath who doesn't give a damn will pass.
Not even that, it's a complete pseudoscience if you actually look into the working principle of the thing. Hence why it's not really in use anywhere. Well, except for the US and a few other countries.

I actually just tried to imagine Dave Murray being interrogated by police, and yes, smiling and nodding comes into it, maybe a cigarette in one hand, too.

Last edited:
Perhaps you have not read his comments? Too much to printscreen.

His latest (DISCLAIMER: again not very nice wording by Mr. McKay) speaks of taking a "Polygraph test".
"MY POLYGRAPH CHALLENGE TO STEVE HARRIS AND DAVE MURRAY" (etc.)

McKay isn't doing himself a favour with comments like these. I thought he had airtight proof. Why suddenly become so aggressive and even advocate quackery? How does he think people will join his cause now?

Dennis wilcox deserves exactly zero pounds and zero pence from Maiden!!!

What I fail to understand and grasp with this whole thing is why it took Dennis the menace so long to realise his lyrics were used. He claims to have walked away from the music business and only discovered this ghastly scam of his lyrics being used in 2014. That to me says when he walked away from the band he never had a care in the world about his old lyrics or anything song wise he wrote as surely he would have checked as soon as maidens first couple of albums were released if he had his precious credit.

If it is to be believed that he only discovered things in 2014 then for over 34 years he never gave a single fuck about anything he did with Maiden as for over 34 years he's never bothered to look into whether or not his old songs/lyrics were ever used. He's been merely going about his life and then all of sudden 34 years + later he's suddenly outraged that his music was stolen. All it would have taken in the years from 1980 to 2014 would have been to pick up a copy of the first 2 maiden albums and have a read on the inlay sleeve to see what lyrics were used and who got credit but not once in 34 years did he a) bother to do this or b) care enough to even do this.

This is why the whole things falls apart and becomes about pure greed and not about artists rights because it all comes down to 2 things, either Dennis has been sold on the idea that he could get a nice payout by someone who has a personal axe to grind and is actively looking at ways to take down Maiden or Dennis knew perfectly well back in the 80's that his old lyrics were used and he held on to a small piece of evidence and thought he'll wait till he's at retirement age to cash in. Whatever the true reason this has all come about it totally stinks and shows Dennis and Mckay, in my opinion, to me nothing more than money grabbing pondlife!

Barry McKay and Dennis Willcock be like...

AlarmedHauntingAndalusianhorse.gif

Back