Here we go again...Iron Maiden sued over the rights of 6 songs

the guardian has a top 50 Queen singles list online today, and among the commentary someone mentioned that Roger Taylor got a 50/50 split from the royalties of Bohemian Rhapsody as he had wrote the b-side. Someone else then claimed this to be always the case.

What has this to do with this thread you ask?

I'm wondering if Beckett therefore took 50% (or maybe 33 1/3 since there was 3 tracks) of the royalties from 2 Minutes to Midnight?

I don't think the sales of the 2MTM single were very significant.

Number 11 single in 1984 i'd say that would have had healthy sales. It probably took in more money than a lot of the top 5 singles in the late 80's and early 90's.

And there it is: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/oct/26/queen-freddie-mercury-50-uk-singles-ranked
As for me, I find the tone of the 'journalist' particularly inappropriate, verging on insulting... well, that is what the British press talking about Queen has very often been about anyway...
The massive hype that happened after Freddie's death has calmed down now, and you're allowed to say you were never that much into them. Queen occupies an odd position in British music, anyway. Somewhere between the kind of singalong household name stuff that's considered family entertainment, the OMG They're Musical Geniuses! camp, and the "yeah, they're okayish, but they're a bit naff really". Or as I once heard someone say: "They're shit compared to proper rock bands."

I think there’s some truth to all those statements except the last one. They had some great hits that are iconic now because they were able to reach a wide audience. But what they were able to achieve as musicians and especially in the studio makes their work occupy a space above most pop music, kinda like the Beatles. However, more often I find lately that a lot of their albums are filled with forgettable material. With some notable exceptions (mostly A Night at the Opera), I like them better as a singles band.

It's not the fillerish stuff, it's more them being twee. Most really big rock bands have a bit more clout to them, Queen are more like the cabaret act next door.

2MTM made more money than Beckett's entire career.

I read one of the member of Mercyful Fate said that they made more money from Metallica's medley than they did from the rest of their career.

Good guy Metallica.

Besides Maiden got sued because Beckett is a so obscure band they even had more obscure people out of the band writing lyrics for them. Terry Slesser and Kenny Mountain got royalties off 2MTM single but not that Brian Ingham guy, whose name I didn't hear of before they sued Maiden.

Nope but they probably used royalty money from Metallica to do it?

Nope but they probably used royalty money from Metallica to do it?

Basically, there was never a proper CD transfer from the master tapes up until a few years ago, as the record company claimed the tapes were lost. Lars showed up in their offices one day and told them to have a good look for the masters or else Metallicas lawyers would get involved. Miracolously the tapes were found.

Back