[Help] What is so special about Iron Maiden in your opinion

A

Anonymous

Hi guys,

My name is Mark and I come from Germany. I write a skilled work in English about Iron Maiden and would like to ask you to write down what in your opinion is so special about Iron Maiden, why you think Maiden is the best Heavy Metal band ever and how Maiden influenced you.

As this work is pretty important for me It would be great, if you could answer the questions as detailed as you can.

Thank you very very much in advance!!

Mark

Up the Irons!!!

We have had an exact question from another student several months back.  Check around it should still be there.

Swampy,

An important aspect of Iron Maiden that I think most of their fans share is that their music is intelligent and relevant. Not only do they flat out rock, they incorporate lyrics that are well thought out and have historical, literary or social overtones. That is refreshing in a metal band. Sure, sex, drugs and rock and roll themed songs are great to bang out to as well but Maiden put a ton of effort into the music and lyrics they write.

first and foremost their lyrics are not shallow, they have meaning..........i figure that is one of the most special things about Rush as well.........but Maiden still does something just a bit different than all the other Metal/Prog bands..........to me they refined the dual-lead guitar sound to basically be the best there has ever been (those parts are worked in so well as integral parts of the songs).........also there is no other band on the planet that projects so much energy live..........as far as i am concerned no one comes close!
so take those three elements and put them together and you have it!! - lyrics, definitive sound, and energy

There cannot be just one aspect. Iron Maiden was founded 37 years ago and has never stopped since : duration has its importance. They have influenced generations of bands, from Metallica to Sum 41, which proves their capacity to reach newer audience. But what is the most important to me is the quality of their music, that is inimitable : melody, energy, a good deal of complexity (for Harris' songs anyway), and originality. They are the perfect mix beetween Jethro Tull and Black Sabbath. This is WHAT make them special to me. WHO makes them special is obvioulsy Steve Harris, the only one who lives and breathes Maiden.
I think I've already answered question 2 : they are the greatest metal band of all time (although Sabbath deserves special credit for being the first ever REAL metal band) because of all the reasons stated before, and because Harris is the Metal god.
How did they influence me? I'd say that I've been listening to Maiden since '82, without any interuption or decrease in my interest (yes, I like the Blaze years and The X Factor is a masterpiece), and they've always been one of my main points of interest (my main point, I'd say, except for my children). I've liked many other bands, from Sabbath to Motörhead, Dream Theater, Jethro Tull and Slayer, but none as much as Maiden. And Harris, who has been my hero since day one, still is my personal idol, the only one I look at during Maiden concerts (and I'm not joking), and I'm convinced he deserves all this respect.

Well, I'll be the one to say it. I don't really care for the "intellectual" aspect of Maiden, and I've never really realized how deep their subject matter actually goes. That is a good point. But I connect with Maiden more because this band is perhaps the only band that can pluck you out of your sofa in a little apartment in California in 2012 and place you in a totally new setting. When I'm listening to songs like Killers or When the Wild Wind Blows or Alexander the Great or any Maiden song, I don't feel like this teenaged vegetable that I actually am; I feel like I'm in a different place wearing different eyes with different sensations. I'm not sure I'm explaining it properly. Take Killers. When I listen to that tune, I actually feel the paranoia that someone's gonna kill me and the madness that I'm actually a killer, and in my mind, I'm in a different time period, too. And Maiden doesn't do this on the power of just lyrics -- the guitar work, the drums, the bass, the vocal styles: they all do the job.

I was originally going to say, "Short answer: Bruce Dickinson," since he really is the main attraction for me, but then that wouldn't explain why I listen to the Paul and Blaze material so much.

Well, I played the short answer angle before but I feel maybe I should express more. I've only officially liked Maiden for about 2 to 3 months and they're my whole world right now. I can't go a day without listening to something Iron Maiden anything. They just do something for me that I can't explain. I first heard Run to the Hills 8 or so years back and even to me back then, that song had so much power and force behind it and I just loved it and I was in middle school/high school at the time. When I started getting into them more, I never knew that they had such amazing songs. Just everything about their songs from the lyrics, to the guitars, to the bass, drums, singing. I just love it all! I have the Live After Death dvd (the lone dvd I own right now of these guys) and since I got it, which was probably last month, I can't count how many times I've watched it. I love watching them perform whether its 80's to current. I'm a very visual person so when it comes down to my favorite bands, concerts or concert dvds are everything to me. I haven't gotten a chance to see them live myself yet but I have no doubt that they will be amazing when I do. All in all, Iron Maiden is not just a heavy metal band. They're much more than that and I think thats why I like them so much.

Hmm, I had to give this some thought and it might not work as well typed out as it is in my head right now heh.

I think I can sum it up perfectly with this one sentence though: Iron Maiden have made me view the world differently, in a good way.

I didn't get into Iron Maiden until late 2006/early 2007. They were a very popular band to my dad, and I always heard some of their songs here and there when my dad would jam to them, but I didn't think anything of it at the time. The first time I personally experienced an Iron Maiden song, embarrassingly enough, was when I was playing Guitar Hero II and one of the final songs in the game was "The Trooper". I remember playing that song on the game and was absolutely amazed at how awesome it sounded. NO other song in that entire game did that for me, and immediately after I was done with that song I went to my dad asking him about Iron Maiden. He then gave me their entire discography and that is when life really became great.

I was glued to them then, just as I am still glued to them now. The lyrics, the guitar riffs and solo's, Bruce's amazing vocals, it just all adds up to become eargasmic. No other band has ever captivated me as Iron Maiden has, and I doubt any band ever will again.

One of the things that I believe really shows how much a love Iron Maiden is (as morbid as it may sound), they were what helped me through the time when my mom passed away in 2008. In fact, this was just four days after I had seen them for the first time, on June 11 2008 in Chicago, IL. During and after my mom's passing, I had just really gotten into the Brave New World and Dance of Death albums, and listening to their music... soothed me? Assisted in helping me heal, if that's appropriate to say. As I opened this up with, their music has completely changed the way I view the world. If I am ever having a bad day, for example, I can simply listen to Iron Maiden and will almost feel better, and more pumped. No other band has ever managed to do this for me.

Adrian Smith and Dave Murray were the inspiration for me to start playing guitar. And Bruce Dickinson is probably my biggest idol of all time, he just seems like such an extraordinary person. And while I don't know that much about drums, I'm sure Nicko is considered a god amongst drummers.

My love for Iron Maiden has grown over the years, especially this past year, since I lost my dad in late 2011. Let's face it, losing my mom and dad in a three year span, I had a pretty shitty teenage life. But listening to Iron Maiden did wonders in trying to help me through it. Iron Maiden was always there for me though, and is still there for me. That is why they are so special in my opinion.

Back