Helloween & Gamma Ray

do either of the Unisonic albums count as power metal? Because I remember when the band first came out they really stressed the idea that they were making “rock” music, as opposed to power metal or metal in general. but after quickly glancing through both Unisonic albums, there’s a lot of songs I’d consider power metal.

I would file the first Unisonic album as melodic hardrock or AOR with a tiny bit of metal, although there are some faster Helloweenish songs on it. Haven't heard the second one.

So, Skyfall is here now and to nobody's surprise it fucking rips. You can kinda hear that it's a shortened version but it doesn't really take out any of the enjoyment imo.

The video is cool (the flying V guitar ship is great).

I prefer the 12 minutes version (that is on the album) than this 7 minutes single edit... give me the full epic written by Kai always. :)

Btw, the chorus of the song is awesome and the parts of the song where Kai is singing are amazing.

Edit: This song quickly becomes one of my favorite songs of the band.

Last edited:
The chorus is awesome indeed, even if you can hear a little bit of Just A Little Sign and The Saints in it.

Skyfall starts and the chorus sounds like Eagle Fly Free, the most done to death type of chorus (chord progression) in power metal. The pre chorus reminds me a lot of the one in March of Time (really very much the same).

The song has some rock opera kinda moments but also a strong Gamma Ray touch, both in the calmer parts..

All these comparisons aside, I adored the solos, and the bass, these guys are awesome. And the last bit from 6:24 was my favourite, I love parts when bands alternate between only two chords (e.g. like in Priest's Sinner!), with all those nice vocal melodies and superb soloing over it. Very great end, I could listen to that for minutes. I'd buy the album for the full version of this alone.

Last edited:
I'm gonna wait for the full song. Fuck single edits.

Although I already heard the leak, but just once.

Hmm, 2 Hansen songs on the whole album... ok, of course the credits are divided over many people.. but 2?
One is by far the longest and the other a one minute track.

Hmm, 2 Hansen songs on the whole album... ok, of course the credits are divided over many people.. but 2?
One is by far the longest and the other a one minute track.
Keeping the powder dry for a new Gamma Ray album? Preserving Weikath’s ego? Creative burnout?

Weikath himself has only 3 credits. Deris has 5 but you can't fault that since he's been their best songwriter for decades. When you have 7 members and 12 songs it's impossible for everyone to have 10 credits.

This album is going to kick major ass. My excitement is growing.
If the other songs are at least as good as the stuff I heard, it might compete with the Keeper albums. Not saying it will blow those classics away though.

Reactions: Yax
I expected at least 3 or 4 songs written by Kai. But in the end, the most important thing is the album to be great.
The songwriting team for this album was set to be Kai/Deris/Weikath.

In the album we have:

- 5 songs by Deris
- 3 songs by Weikath
- 2 songs by Sascha
- 1 song by Markus
- and 1 song (I don't count the intro) by Kai

One song from Kiske and two more (for example) from Kai would have been great, but let's not forget that there are going to be a few bonus songs.
Creative burnout?
^ Kai Hansen and creative burnout? - I don't think so.

I expected at least 3 or 4 songs written by Kai. But in the end, the most important thing is the album to be great.
Is that possible, a great Helloween album with only 1 Hansen song?

I like several post-Hansen era albums but these included important Grapow and/or Kusch contributions mostly.

Back