Helloween & Gamma Ray

Great news: pro-shot of Wacken show + more shows scheduled + live CDs/DVD/BluRay for Pumpkins United + promise of a new album with Hansen and Kiske! :) (better news than the vinyl box! ;) )

Among the massive PUMPKINS UNITED WORLD TOUR’s absolute open air highlights were, of course, the headliner slots at Wacken, Barcelona’s Rock Fest and Masters of Rock – but also the mega gigs with Iron Maiden at Sweden Rock Festival and Florence’s Firenze Rocks in June definitely were shows for all eternity.

For those, who mysteriously missed the tour, goosebumps footage of the PUMPKINS UNITED WORLD TOUR, will be released as a live CD as well as on DVD and Blu-ray beginning of 2019!!! As of now, the wait until the release can be shortened with a stream of the full Wacken show at Magenta Music 360 right here:

https://www.magenta-musik-360.de/helloween-pumpkins-united-…

BUT HERE IT COMES!

As we are still indulging in the Wacken encore or preparing for the show in Las Vegas/ USA, those maniacs are already launching the next sensation: For starters, Nuclear Blast has insisted to keep the band on their roster for a few more years, and – double bass drum roll – there’ll actually be a brand-new STUDIO ALBUM with KISKE AND HANSEN. When the band around songwriting trio Weikath, Hansen and Deris will be retreating to the studio together with these two exceptional singers in 2019, it’s clear that the album scheduled for 2020 will be no less than EPIC. If this news doesn’t make you go all dewy, your proper rock baptism might not have happened yet – the rest of us are way over the moon as of now, because:

THE PUMPKINS UNITED DREAM CONTINUES!

Thanks to everyone who has been with us until now!

Photo: Patricia Patah

FINAL SHOWS IN 2018

07. Sep USA / Las Vegas, NV House Of Blues
08. Sep USA / Los Angeles, CA The Palladium
10. Sep USA / Chicago, IL Concord Music Hall
12. Sep CAN / Montreal, QUE Metropolis
14. Sep USA / Worcester, MA Palladium
15. Sep USA / New York City Irving Plaza
16. Sep USA / New York City Irving Plaza

26. Okt COL/ Bogota Knot Fest
28. Okt SVL/ San Salvador CIFCO
31. Okt CHI / Santiago Movistar Arena **
02. Nov MEX / Mexico City Arena CDMX **
04. Nov MEX / Guadalajara Foro Alterno
08. Nov ARG / Buenos Aires Luna Park **

** special guests: KREATOR & ARCH ENEMY

06. Dez POR / Lissabon Sala TEJO
08. Dez ESP / Sant. de Compostela Fontes do Sar B.E.C
14. Dez GER / Ravensburg Oberschwabenhalle
15. Dez GER / Karlsruhe Knockout Festival
18. Dez SWE / Stockholm Arenan
21. Dez GER / Bamberg Brose Arena
22. Dez GER / Hamburg Sporthalle

Last edited:
Yes!!!!! I'm not expecting much from the album, but this lineup slays live. I would even go abroad to see them again if they played a different setlist to the one from last year. Hell, I'd probably go if it was the same.

I just watched the Hansen-segment of this gig and I really cannot think of a band playing cooler live *music (bar some Maiden/Priest perhaps).

All the trash/power/whatever metal bands can suck on this. Never as good.

*not vocal wise.

I think Blind Guardian is slightly better in that they have less gimmicks with the video stuff, no solo sections etc.

I think Blind Guardian is slightly better in that they have less gimmicks with the video stuff, no solo sections etc.
I think it's difficult to compare these bands' recent concerts since Helloween is clearly doing a "best-of" tour. Besides, the vocals are probably more demanding for Helloween singers, which may explain the need for more pauses.
Anyway, I would be happy to see both bands live these days. ;)

promise of a new album with Hansen and Kiske! :)
Hmm. Great news for Helloween fans, but bad news for Gamma Ray fans hoping to see another album this decade. At this rate The Unity will be up to their fourth album before we see anything else from Gamma Ray... <_<

Hmm. Great news for Helloween fans, but bad news for Gamma Ray fans hoping to see another album this decade.
The reason why Gamma Ray exists in the first place is that Hansen was out of Helloween. Now that he is back... This is not what I hope, but it wouldn't be surprising in my opinion.

Last edited:
Gamma Ray and Helloween both suck for ages. Time for something else.
Depends on what you mean by "ages" :p

To The Metal was pretty good apart from the title track, but that was 8 years ago. Since then, Dan left which was a big loss, and then Kai's voice went which is an even bigger loss. Last album was totally forgettable.

Similar with Helloween, but with one more album. 7 Sinners was great apart from the stupid first two songs and the production, but that was 8 years ago too. Since then they've had like 2 good songs on 2 albums.

Unisonic and "Hansen & Friends" were totally generic and forgettable too.

They all need this. Sucks for the members of the bands left behind though.

IMO, before these 8 years, they also had bad albums imo. Gamma Ray was "good" at ripping off other people their music. Land of the Free II was a shameful album. Too many Maiden and Priest songs on there. Helloween also had some bad albums in the post Grapow era.

Land Of The Free II was a great album despite ripoffs and Gambling With The Devil was even better, quite possibly the best album after the first three.

I hope they plan on releasing footage from multiple shows for the live album and not just Wacken. I want Forever & One and Why with Deris AND Kiske, Wacken doesn't have the former song and only has Deris on the latter song.

Land Of The Free II was a great album despite ripoffs
Meh. It didn't feel anything like the original Land Of The Free aside from a couple of musical theme callbacks. Where was the moodiness and finesse? If they'd called the album something else I might have been a little less critical, but they didn't.

As for the songs, there was an awful lot of "been there, done that". It was so cookie-cutter that I barely remember any of the songs from the album aside from "Insurrection", and that's after listening to the disc nonstop for a while after it first came out. That's not a very ringing endorsement.

But hey, it was still better than To The Metal or Empire Of The Undead overall...

Gambling With The Devil was even better, quite possibly the best album after the first three
'Gambling with the Devil' is indeed an excellent album. :) Unfortunately they seem to drop off after that. '7 Sinners' was pretty good but the two most recent have been disappointing.

Land Of The Free II was a great album despite ripoffs and Gambling With The Devil was even better, quite possibly the best album after the first three.
I agree. Still, the more I listen to Keeper 3 (Legacy), the more I think it is a great album overall. For those who have time and are still into burning CDs (R or RW), there must be a great 1 or possibly 2-CD compilation to make out of "the Gerstner years", which would include even things from My God-Given Right.

The problem with recent Helloween is that their albums are too long, to the point of drowning the good songs in the middle of the meh songs. The problem with recent Gamma Ray is that good songs are few even though the albums are not necessarily too long... :(

IMO, before these 8 years, they also had bad albums imo. Gamma Ray was "good" at ripping off other people their music. Land of the Free II was a shameful album. Too many Maiden and Priest songs on there. Helloween also had some bad albums in the post Grapow era.

You are absolutely right about Land of the Free II. It was great fun to sing the Maiden lyrics over their music! :lol:

Such a shame, as they did write some really good songs in their early days (I particularly like the albums Heading for Tomorrow and Land of the Free).

Back