HammerFall

On a first listen, I think the new album is weak. Even weaker than the previous one....

Unusual heavy riffs for the band, only one song is with a memorable chorus, short solos./ I expected more... :confused:

I think it's weak, but I don't share your disappointment as it's exactly what I expected i.e. a Hammerfall album. It's generic, uninspired Power Metal which is precisely what I've come to expect from Hammerfall. Low expectations means I can't be disappointed. 'Dominion' (and its two predecessors) lacks what made Hammerfall fun up to 'No Sacrifice, No Victory' - the cheese is still there but without the charm. Hammerfall just churn out the same sort of songs every few years with the same idea and the same format. There are many things which make a Hammerfall song on 'Dominion', such as group shouting backing vocals on various songs, but the fun factor disappeared ten years ago. Hammerfall are no longer a relevant band in Metal and people like you just won't acknowledge it. Open your eyes and move on. They have nothing left to contribute.

For about ten years they were a big deal and one of the main Power Metal bands, but in the second decade of the band's existence they've become a parody of themselves. They've been relegated to supporting Sabaton in North America and playing early afternoon at Hellfest. As a teenager I was a big fan but my interest waned as I grew up and started listening to more interesting and creative bands. Their sideways step with 'Infected' came at the right time for me to move on from Hammerfall, and when they went back to basics with '(r)Evolution' I had lost interest in them - and it was a weak album anyway. They are the kind of band who are great when you're starting to listen to Metal as a teenager but I can't understand why an adult would still consider them to be one of their favourite bands and continue to expect them to release good music. Unless you're a 15 year old, Kal, your persistent blind love for Hammerfall makes no sense to me. They're a nostalgia band now, nothing more. Let go.

I think it's weak, but I don't share your disappointment as it's exactly what I expected i.e. a Hammerfall album. It's generic, uninspired Power Metal which is precisely what I've come to expect from Hammerfall. Low expectations means I can't be disappointed. 'Dominion' (and its two predecessors) lacks what made Hammerfall fun up to 'No Sacrifice, No Victory' - the cheese is still there but without the charm. Hammerfall just churn out the same sort of songs every few years with the same idea and the same format. There are many things which make a Hammerfall song on 'Dominion', such as group shouting backing vocals on various songs, but the fun factor disappeared ten years ago. Hammerfall are no longer a relevant band in Metal and people like you just won't acknowledge it. Open your eyes and move on. They have nothing left to contribute.

For about ten years they were a big deal and one of the main Power Metal bands, but in the second decade of the band's existence they've become a parody of themselves. They've been relegated to supporting Sabaton in North America and playing early afternoon at Hellfest. As a teenager I was a big fan but my interest waned as I grew up and started listening to more interesting and creative bands. Their sideways step with 'Infected' came at the right time for me to move on from Hammerfall, and when they went back to basics with '(r)Evolution' I had lost interest in them - and it was a weak album anyway. They are the kind of band who are great when you're starting to listen to Metal as a teenager but I can't understand why an adult would still consider them to be one of their favourite bands and continue to expect them to release good music. Unless you're a 15 year old, Kal, your persistent blind love for Hammerfall makes no sense to me. They're a nostalgia band now, nothing more. Let go.

Well, their first 4 albums are their best and I mostly listen stuff from them - from the next albums there are a couple of songs which I like, but (sadly) not the whole albums. They are not the same band after Stefan Elmgren and Magnus Rosén left.

I have no problem to acknowledge that their albums since 2006 are not so good, but that will not stop me from listening to them. I still like them, especially the early stuff.

I hoped that this new album will be strong, but I am disappointed now. I will listen to it a couple more times though. Actually, (r)Evolution is a good album overall, as far as I remember.

This song is listed as a bonus song to the Japanese edition of the new HammerFall album, Dominion (2019),

Actually, ''You Win Or You Die'' has been released as a single-sided for the box set of the previous album, Built To Last (2016).../the song without any problems could have been on both albums - it's a good song with great chorus.

EHvGymgW4AAd_W7

In case any of you North Americans want to see them again so soon after seeing them with Sabaton recently. They should be doing a European tour early next year too. I might go to a show if it's convenient for me. Their music might be dull now but they are still a lot of fun live.

Some European (mainly German) tour dates for early next year. I will probably go to a show in London if they announce one, but no Bulgaria either Kal! o_O

Battle Beast supporting them in Europe, Beast in Black in US/Canada. Yeah, I enjoyed HammerFall a lot.

HammerFall released a video for the song ''Second To One'' from their new album - it's a duet featuring Noora Louhimo from Battle Beast.

In other news (and yes, this is completely double post worthy if you ask me): Is former Hammerfall bass player Magnus Rosén the lamest guy ever to touch a fret? Is he the Yngwie of bass playing? See evidence in the links below.

Flying bass solo - Halfway through the video the WL dropouts begin. Somebody didn't take the distance between the transmitter and receiver into calculation...

Incredibly odd solo in an airplane.

Wannabe funk with random tapping lines.

All out crazy and tasteless bass shred.

Last edited:
@Kalata

New live album in October, filmed in Ludwigsburg.

1597160861825.png

01. Never Forgive, Never Forget
02. One Against The World
03. Heeding The Call
04. The Way Of The Warrior
05. Any Means Necessary
06. Hallowed Be My Name
07. Blood Bound
08. Redemption
09. Hector's Hymn
10. Natural High
11. Second To One