Guitar solos " The Final Frontier"

Forostar said:
10. When The Wild Wind Blows
(4:42 – Solo: Adrian Smith)
(5:22 – Solo: Dave Murray)
----------------->(5:48 – Solo: Janick Gers)
(8:39 – Solo: Janick Gers)

Hello,

thanks for the details about the solo. Very good work, as usual...

But I don't agree on this one. I think it's Dave.

The style is very close than Janick's one, with harmonics and tremolo bar diving, with some madness in it. If it was only a question of style, I would say "Janick".

But there's also a question of sound : it's not Janick's one, too different than his sound of the last solo (8:39), and very close Dave's. And Dave is abble to play this kind of stuff...

For me this part is just the following of his solo interrupted by the musical break at 5:43 and produced differently with pan effects.

I've listen to it many times, with headphones and the two solos in a loop, It's very hard to have on opinion. Maybe I'm wrong...  :S

There's a different sound indeed, I agree. I thought the style was more important in this case, but I admit that a little part of that reminded me of Dave as well. I hope we'll be able to see it in 2011. It was the most difficult part to be sure of.

Lib said:
Hello,

thanks for the details about the solo. Very good work, as usual...

But I don't agree on this one. I think it's Dave.

The style is very close than Janick's one, with harmonics and tremolo bar diving, with some madness in it. If it was only a question of style, I would say "Janick".

But there's also a question of sound : it's not Janick's one, too different than his sound of the last solo (8:39), and very close Dave's. And Dave is abble to play this kind of stuff...

For me this part is just the following of his solo interrupted by the musical break at 5:43 and produced differently with pan effects.

I've listen to it many times, with headphones and the two solos in a loop, It's very hard to have on opinion. Maybe I'm wrong...  :S

i think its adrian

It's Adrian to me as well. At first i thought it was Janick (he's the one who usually plays this kind of stuff), but in this case I'd bet in Adrian, seems to be his tone, let's confirm when/if they play this amazing song live.

theres also a short melodic solo just before that palm muted chugging riff starts, i think its played by dave but im  not entirely sure.

My take on the solography for The Final Frontier:

THE FINAL FRONTIER (2010)

01) Satellite 15...The Final Frontier (Smith/Harris) - 8:40
-Adrian Smith - 6:31/7:03
-Dave Murray - 7:02/7:16
All licks made by Adrian Smith

02) El Dorado (Smith/Harris/Dickinson) - 6:48
-Adrian Smith - 3:41/3:53
-Dave Murray - 3:53/4:05
-Janick Gers - 4:05/4:23

03) Mother Of Mercy (Smith/Harris) - 5:20
-Intro lick by Janick Gers
-Adrian Smith - 2:54/3:12

04) Coming Home (Smith/Harris/Dickinson) - 5:52
-Dave Murray - 3:32/4:00
-Adrian Smith - 4:00/4:27

05) The Alchemist (Gers/Harris/Dickinson) - 4:28
-Janick Gers - 3:04/3:34

06) Isle Of Avalon (Smith/Harris) - 9:06
-Dave Murray - 3:49/4:15
-Adrian Smith - 4:31/5:31
-Licks at the last verses by Janick Gers

07) Starblind (Smith/Harris/Dickinson) - 7:48
-Adrian Smith - 1:59/2:11
-Adrian Smith - 2:33/2:53
-Adrian Smith - 3:04/3:37
-Adrian Smith - 4:14/4:44
-Dave Murray - 4:43/4:53
-Janick Gers - 4:53/5:04
-Adrian Smith - 5:47/6:33
Licks under the second chorus "The preacher loses face with Christ..." then "Take my eyes for what I've seen..." by Janick Gers

08) The Talisman (Gers/Harris) - 9:03
-Janick Gers - 5:08/6:47
Guitar duets by Murray & Gers

09) The Man Who Would Be King (Murray/Harris) - 8:28
Intro lick by Dave Murray
-Dave Murray - 4:03/4:58

10) When The Wild Wind Blows (Harris) - 11:00
Intro and outro licks and vocal melody accompainment by Janick Gers
-Adrian Smith - 4:44/5:05
-Lick: Dave and Janick
-Dave Murray - 5:23/5:44
-Lick: Dave Murray - 5:48/6:03
-Lick: Adrian Smith - 6:23/6:42 (3rd interval enters at 6:39)
-Janick Gers - 8:39/9:05
-Lick: Dave Murray - 9:06/9:33

The configuration for most of the songs are Dave - Left Channel, Adrian - Center Channel, Janick - Right Channel. Adrian seems to be interested in rhythm guitar as most guitar duets are done by Dave and Janick, except on TMWWBK very last duet which sounds like Dave and H.

Just focussing on this, at the moment:

Jeffmetal said:
07) Starblind (Smith/Harris/Dickinson) - 7:48
-Adrian Smith - 2:33/2:53
-Adrian Smith - 3:04/3:37
-Adrian Smith - 4:14/4:44
-Dave Murray - 4:43/5:04
-Adrian Smith - 5:47/6:33

Haven't you forgotten some? Look (and hear ;) ):

(1:59 – Solo: Adrian Smith)
(2:34 – Solo: Adrian Smith)
(3:04 – Solo: Adrian Smith)
(4:15 – Solo: Adrian Smith)
(4:43 – Solo: Dave Murray)
(4:53 – Solo: Adrian Smith)
(5:47 – Solo: Adrian Smith)

Jeffmetal said:
I fixed before reading the post above of yours. :D

I can't control that. *Runs in opposite direction of Brazil*

Nice job Jeffmetal, but I confess I'm not that keen myself on intro and outro melodies, harmonies, duets and such because sometimes, on studio albums, I find them more difficult to analyze (the style of the amigoes is more different when they play the non-repeating stuff I'd like to call solos).

E.g. I have my doubts when you say H played those parts in the beginning and end of WTWB but we can control this next year, I'm sure. Anyway, respect, there's room enough for all our different takes on it!  :)

Well, some songs we'll probably keep guessing forever as they won't play the whole thing live, but I think you're messing the song I say H plays the intro and outro: it's TMWWBK when the drums kicks in with the duet and then the duet again at the end of the song, not on WTWWB. Thanx for the compliments, mate. :ok:

A -Lick: Dave Murray - 5:48/6:03
-Lick: Dave Murray - 6:23/6:42
B -Lick: Adrian Smith - 9:06/9:33

Sorry, this is what I meant:
I'd place my bets on A: Janick and B: Dave. ;)
But A is my biggest doubt of the album.

Jeffmetal said:
Well, some songs we'll probably keep guessing forever as they won't play the whole thing live

Agreed. I still remember our different takes on (e.g.) The Thin Line, but we can't control it and have to accept that.

Yes, on TTLBL&H and the Childhood's End splitted solos you knew and warned me about. That was really cool. :lol:

Now, I see which part you meant. I tried to listen to it very focused and my ears tell me it's H and I think the melody is placed center channel, so I'll go with that, but to tell the truth, there's so much going on and to discover yet that the solography is sure bound to changes, even from some dubious solo sections on songs from the past.

I wouldn't be focussed too much on the position of the solo (center channel) (though it can certainly tell the differences when two are played after each other). I think this stuff sometimes changes.

By the way, have you noticed the cool Janick lead-melodies before and during the last chorus of Isle of Avalon? These high notes, these assets I find the coolest aspects of Janick's guitar playing. E.g. in Ghost of the Navigator (on Brave New World) this rules as well.

Yes, but I didn't noted that on the solography as they're on the right channel and as you said, is not only the channel position that makes me assume it's one of the three guitarrists, it's the style of the lick, the vibrato, the phrasing first, then the guitar tone. Those phrases are unmistakeably Jan's.

Forostar said:
I wouldn't be focussed too much on the position of the solo (center channel) (though it can certainly tell the differences when two are played after each other). I think this stuff sometimes changes.

By the way, have you noticed the cool Janick lead-melodies before and during the last chorus of Isle of Avalon? These high notes, these assets I find the coolest aspects of Janick's guitar playing. E.g. in Ghost of the Navigator (on Brave New World) this rules as well.

Thats Adrian

Jeffmetal said:
-Lick: Dave Murray - 5:48/6:03
-Lick: Dave Murray - 6:23/6:42
-Lick: Adrian Smith - 9:06/9:33

The configuration for most of the songs are Dave - Left Channel, Adrian - Center Channel, Janick - Right Channel. Adrian seems to be interested in rhythm guitar as most guitar duets are done by Dave and Janick, except on TMWWBK very last duet which sounds like Dave and H.

The lick played at 5:48 is probably Adrian (thanks Babo 91 lol) last one I'd say it's played by Janick, everything else seems right to me.

Besides that I wouldn't be so sure about the channels, that is true on live cd's, but when we're talking about studio albuns I think that doesn't always happen so i wouldn't focus too much on the channels  :)

Back