Guitar solos " The Final Frontier"

Travis_AKA_fonzbear2000 said:
Anyway, let's get back on topic.

EVERYONE, do you hear 2 or 3 guitar solos on S15...TFF?
Two guitarists putting down a solo each, although H's could possibly be in two takes. Probably not but it's possible.

Listen to the files I posted and you'll hear the 3 separate solos. Well, hopefully. :p
mozzle said:
It's a good thing you grabbed that from the Radio bootleg right. *wink*  I mean otherwise there might an issue with posting copyright links. But since it's the bootleg *wink* you should be fine, right.
Exactly. ;)
Plus, I'm just posting the guitar solos only for the discussion. It's not like I'm posting the full song. Wouldn't the German audio samples that removed from the German site have been considered copyrighted? My download link for those was allowed.
So, those of you who think there are only 2 solos, you think it's Dave playing both the 2nd and 3rd parts? From 6:47-7:00 and again from 7:01-7:14 or do you think 6:47-7:14 is one big solo?

I think 6:47-7:14 is one big solo. Again  I could be wrong, but that's what it sounds like to me.

I also only hear two solos but I hear it a little differently. I believe from 6:32-7:00 is one big solo, and the second solo (dave's) is 7:00-7:14

Travis_AKA_fonzbear2000 said:
Listen to the files I posted and you'll hear the 3 separate solos. Well, hopefully. :p
Exactly. ;)
Plus, I'm just posting the guitar solos only for the discussion. It's not like I'm posting the full song. Wouldn't the German audio samples that removed from the German site have been considered copyrighted? My download link for those was allowed.
So, those of you who think there are only 2 solos, you think it's Dave playing both the 2nd and 3rd parts? From 6:47-7:00 and again from 7:01-7:14 or do you think 6:47-7:14 is one big solo?

That's Adrian from 6.30 to 7.00. The tone of the guitar clearly doesn't change and you can even here him slide up to the higher notes at 6.47. Also, listening through headphones, the solo doesn't change panning position across the stereo mix. 

Dave is from 7.01 onwards, and you can definitely tell the change in guitar tone (fat, warm neck pickup sound that he favours) and it is definitely Dave's style of playing. 

6:32-7:00 - Adrian

7:00-7:14 Dave

Them bends at 6:57 coudn't be done by anyone else in the world besides H

In case the list is correct -likely- I don't like the distribution of solos, Janick is put aside.
By the way I wonder if ever Adrian shared a solo with Janick only, without Dave. Surely they aren't the best friends those two!

Yes, on Brighter Than A Thousand Suns.

Maiden never had an a-side that was co-written with more than one guitarist. If it's a Harris-only song, it's an long epic and there will be a room for all guitarists. The guitarist that writes/co-writes the song will get the solo. I can only think of one example where there is a solo in the song, and it isn't played by co-writing guitarist - Gers doesn't play any solo on Mercenary.

Smith was (again) the most creative guy around, he got a lot of co-writes, hence he got a lot of soloing space.
Have in mind that Smith composes his main leads, whereas Dave and Janick don't. So his solo will always work, as a part of whole arrangement, because he will work on it (on his own) until it does. Guitarists that improvise may or may not hit a good solo in the sessions.

And i'm pretty sure that Adrian and Janick are good, because i've read numerous times in the interviews, how they like to tweak with their sound, how they experimented in playing whole BNW in drop D tuning together, etc...

Thank you, LC.

Did you know that the latest launch (July) towards ISS was 100th? Nice little anniversary, for sure. It was carried out by Soyuz TMA-19. Which was 105th Soyuz mission overall. Talk about workhorses.

Will-I-Am said:
Janick is put aside.

Yes. Since he hardly was invited to play solos on other people's songs, that's about the only reason I can imagine why Janick is (or: decided to be) the only solist on his own tracks.

Zare said:
Smith ... ...got a lot of co-writes, hence he got a lot of soloing space.
Have in mind that Smith composes his main leads, whereas Dave and Janick don't.

That's a rather new rule then. Check Brave New World, or Dance of Death. Less writing input by H (esp. on BNW), but not necessarily this shitty amount of solos Janick played on the last two albums.

Check Piece of Mind or Powerslave or any other album with two guitarists. Equal soloing, whoever wrote the songs.

I like Smith, but I rather see more equal dividings of solos, like in the past.

Later I'll get deeper into all this. First I want to play the album more, and more, and more. :)

I don't see what you're talking about.

If we rule out Mercenary, which i mentioned as an exception, Smith soloed on his two co-writes and one 9 minute epic where all three guitarists participated.

On DoD, he soloed on his co-writes and on epic tracks where all three shared the spot.

Give me one example (other than Mercenary) of a song that has a solo, but it's not played by guitarist that co-wrote the song.

Check Piece of Mind or Powerslave or any other album with two guitarists. Equal soloing, whoever wrote the songs.

Music changes. You can't compare AMOLAD/TFF with Powerslave.
It's also a question of whether the guitarist in question can deliver a solo good enough. And does the composition (in Harris' ears) allow two / three solos.

It's not like they have a mathematical equation who should play where.
Wow, i just read one crucial word.

Do you really think that they invite eachother to play solos on tracks? For the fuck's sake, they have sessions and they jam together.

I think it doesn't go as spontaneous as you might think. This album proved that, more than any record. The songwriter is the main solist and Dave the second. Jan comes in third.

I think they said in an interview that they just jam the song together and see who does what the best, and that it goes on the record like that. It's in one Rock Hard magazine, not sure if it's the recent one or the one that came out when A Matter of Life and Death was released, though.

I think Zare deserved a longer answer from my part. Here goes:

Zare said:
I don't see what you're talking about.

If we rule out Mercenary, which i mentioned as an exception, Smith soloed on his two co-writes and one 9 minute epic where all three guitarists participated.

Why rule it out? That's the example of how it went when a guitarist does not contribute much in songwriting but still gets a fair share on the record.

H got his share on this song because Jan must have felt that if they would follow the rule "The ones who write way less songs should play way less solos on the album", it wouldn't be that cool. Now on the latest two records, I wonder if H has been as generous to Janick, as Janick was to H. This time Janick writes way less, but now he gets way less solos.

Look at Dave. He doesn't write much either but still gets a fair amount of solos.

Zare said:
Music changes. You can't compare AMOLAD/TFF with Powerslave.

Apparently someone in the band thinks the amount of guitarists is about the same as in the eighties.

Zare said:
It's also a question of whether the guitarist in question can deliver a solo good enough.

I agree yes. And who knows, maybe this had to with Janick's hand injury, who knows. By the way, when we look at the songs which were finished as the last three -The Man Who Would Be King, The Alchemist and When The Wild Wind Blows- Jan plays a big role on the last two I mentioned. Besides his solo on his own co-written track he does the guitar melody under Bruce's voice, on Wild Wind. Still this doesn't explain his low amount of solos on the prevous album.

Zare said:
And does the composition (in Harris' ears) allow two / three solos.

I think there's one particular song on the album that easily could have two solos (each the length of the recorded one): Mother Of Mercy. That part is so cool, I'd love to have that extended. But you won't hear me complaining too much about that. In the past I thought some songs had too many solos, now this aspect is really well done.

Zare said:
It's not like they have a mathematical equation who should play where.

They had at least some sense of balance (which has to do with mathematics) on the first two albums of this line-up.

Zare said:
Do you really think that they invite eachother to play solos on tracks? For the fuck's sake, they have sessions and they jam together.

Alright, so Janick must have missed some then.

edit:
Per, just read your post, if that's true I feel sorry for Janick that he played so bad. I mean, in the past it apparently went better. Or there were other norms.

Back