Guilty pleasures

What have I started....

eezCO.gif
Technically, mckindog started it. :p If this thread was never started, none of this would be here in the first place.

@Cornfed Hick - there should be no shame in listening to Alicia Keys or Johnny Cash. Both incredibly talented artists.

I'll also throw my hat in the ring: :notworthy: Shakira

For the most part I don't listen to music that I don't find talented in some way (be it performance or composition), even if that music happens to be popular/poppy/poptastic. I would say the only bands that I listen to that might be considered a guilty pleasure, seeing as I am a male and a metal fan, would be "chick rock" like No Doubt, Paramore, Garbage, Kelly Clarkson, Pink etc.

The only thing I listen to occasionally that I find to be of very little musical value other than the mood it creates: trip-hop. I can occasionally be caught jamming out to some Morcheeba and Portishead.

For the most part I don't listen to music that I don't find talented in some way (be it performance or composition), even if that music happens to be popular/poppy/poptastic. I would say the only bands that I listen to that might be considered a guilty pleasure, seeing as I am a male and a metal fan, would be "chick rock" like No Doubt, Paramore, Garbage, Kelly Clarkson, Pink etc.
Riot by Paramore is one of my favorite albums.

Yea it's kinda strange how much of a difference in quality there is compared to the other stuff. I really like Brick By Boring Brick on the following album though. Their latest is pretty out there, and not in a good way. But I still pull out Riot at least once a year and spend a week or two mostly listening to songs from that.

You know, I'm pretty eclectic with my musical tastes, and I like me some solid funk beats and guitar work, but I just do. not. get. Daft Punk.

Some of it is good, a lot of it is also dull and repetitive. I like the chorus of Get Lucky but it repeats itself way too much.

The album has some very bright moments, but also very dark moments. Some songs on it just flat out suck.

@Moon Child

A bit late but "Get Lucky" could be the worst song on "Random Access Memories". Very good album.
I haven't heard the whole album yet. I'll have to give it a listen. The funny thing is, I heard "Get Lucky" on the radio, not knowing who it was yet and I thought to myself "That really sounds like Daft Punk" and sure enough, it was.

I'm not largely into Daft Punk myself. I just like a couple of their songs. I do, however, really like the soundtrack for Tron Legacy they did. Now that's good stuff right there.

I'm a huge fan of Hawthorne Heights.

This is a band that sadly gets a lot of slack from metal fans for their emo lyrics, but music is more important than lyrics and even though they have a simple sound and aren't super talented, their overall sound is just amazing and quite powerful! And their singer, JT has some awesome vocals!

Some songs I recommend checking out:

Judgement Day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGancXhlv6s

Light Sleeper:

Bring You Back:

Four White Walls:

Please listen to those and let me know what you think.

Nickelback - Rock Star
Whenever I listen to the song, it just gets stuck in my head.
Other than that I hate every other Nickelback song.

Nickelback - Rock Star
Whenever I listen to the song, it just gets stuck in my head.
Other than that I hate every other Nickelback song.
I don't know, I've got fond memories of playing their Silver Side Up CD around 2000. It was one of my favorite CD's back then.

Yes, certainly No Doubt, Paramore, Garbage, also The Bangles and Blondie. I don't feel guilty about any of those, though. ;)

Back