Guess The Iron Maiden Song!

Clue 1: The first cue to this Maiden song can be found in the name of a single by a band that started up around the same time as Iron Maiden. This single was recorded in a recording facility also used by Maiden. The name of the single also provides a link to a later, and more commercially successful, album by this band.

Clue 2: The song has a distinct counterpart in the Maiden catalogue.

Clue 3: The chorus consists of a single line. A similar (but not identical) line also appears in one of Maiden’s most iconic songs.

Clue 4: The song has been played live and appears on more than one Maiden release. Moreover, it has been released under two (slightly) different names.

Clue 5: A band whose name is inspired by an AC/DC song has recorded a song with the same name as the Maiden song in question. This band also has two other songs that share their name with Maiden songs.

Clue 6: Maiden have released both a studio and a live version of this song. These versions have different singers.

Clue 7: Some bits and pieces here: The lyrics are presented from a first person perspective. The song has been played as an encore. The song has a guitar intro.

Clue 8: Although it appeared in Maiden's setlist for several tours, the song has not been played live after it was last released (re: clue 6). As stated in clue 7, it has been played as an encore, but it has also been played early in the set.

Clue 9: The origins of the song in question might make you think about France, Scotland and the US, although it was recorded first in England, then abroad. Moreover, the song has a relation to a hit song with the same name as a band a Maiden member (who contributes on one of the recorded versions) was in before joining Maiden.

Clue 10: The lyrics contain references to a unit of measurement, the possession of a certain element and a promise of elevation of an unspecified nature.

Clue 11: The song you're searching for was once played back-to-back with a rarely performed cover song that Maiden played live without having released it on a single or an album. Blink and you’ll miss it, but these two songs have a short, chromatic bass part in common. This (by Maiden) rarely performed cover song is not first and foremost known for this bass part, though, nor the lyrics. But a word in the chorus serves as a hint to the song in question, but beware, because this line also appears in its entirety elsewhere in Maiden's lyrical universe.

Incorrect: Where Eagles Dare, Fear is the Key, Wasted Years, Brave New World, Man on the Edge, The Wicker Man, The Mercenary, The Evil that Men Do, Satellite 15... The Final Frontier, Shadows of the Valley, The Clansman, Wrathchild, Prowler, Drifter, Lord of the Flies, Purgatory, Murders in the Rue Morgue, Afraid To Shoot Strangers, Running Free, Charlotte the Harlot, Iron Maiden, Moonchild, Sanctuary, Prodigal Son, Futureal, Hallowed Be Thy Name

I've got the Fire - that's the one. Your turn, BlackBart

Here are the clues explained:

Clue 1: The first cue to this Maiden song can be found in the name of a single by a band that started up around the same time as Iron Maiden. This single was recorded in a recording facility also used by Maiden. The name of the single also provides a link to a later, and more commercially successful, album by this band.

The single is"Fire" by U2, recorded at Compass Point, Nassau. U2 started up in 1976. "The Unforgettable Fire", reached No. 1 in the UK charts, whereas "October" only reached #11. Which curiously is the same position as Flight of Icarus-single, on which "I Got The Fire" is a B-side.... but that's aside the point.

Clue 2: The song has a distinct counterpart in the Maiden catalogue.

The "Be Quick or be Dead" B-side "Space Station #5" is the only other Montrose cover in the Maiden catalogue.

Clue 3: The chorus consists of a single line. A similar (but not identical) line also appears in one of Maiden’s most iconic songs.

"I Got The Fire"/"I have the Fire" from "The Number of the Beast.

Clue 4: The song has been played live and appears on more than one Maiden release. Moreover, it has been released under two (slightly) different names.

Maiden released the song under the name "I've Got the Fire", whereas Montrose's original is called "I Got The Fire".

Clue 5: A band whose name is inspired by an AC/DC song has recorded a song with the same name as the Maiden song in question. This band also has two other songs that share their name with Maiden songs.

Kissin' Dynamite. "Running Free" and "Only the Good Die Young" are the shared (or copied) song titles.

Clue 6: Maiden have released both a studio and a live version of this song. These versions have different singers.

A live version from the Marquee recorded April 3rd 1980 with Paul Di'Anno was a B-side for Sanctuary. A studio version sung by Bruce was recorded and released as the "Flight of Icarus" B-side.

Clue 7: Some bits and pieces here: The lyrics are presented from a first person perspective. The song has been played as an encore. The song has a guitar intro.

Self-explanatory.

Clue 8: Although it appeared in Maiden's setlist for several tours, the song has not been played live after it was last released (re: clue 6). As stated in clue 7, it has been played as an encore, but it has also been played early in the set.

According to my sources, the song was last played live on the 17th of May 1983, a week or so before the release of the "Flight of Icarus" single. Before this, the song was played on and off on the "Beast on the Road" tour, and also more frequently on the tours supporting the first two albums. I believe it was also played at most shows in the 70s, dating back to the very first incarnation of Iron Maiden with Paul Day singing.

Clue 9: The origins of the song in question might make you think about France, Scotland and the US, although it was recorded first in England, then abroad. Moreover, the song has a relation to a hit song with the same name as a band a Maiden member (who contributes on one of the recorded versions) was in before joining Maiden.

Montrose is a US band, but also a French winemaker and a Scottish town. The song was first recorded live at the Marquee, then at Compass Point. Montrose's first album had the song "Rock Candy", which later became one of Sam Hagar's most well-known songs and furthermore covered by countless others acts. Paul Di'Anno's first band was named Rock Candy.

Clue 10: The lyrics contain references to a unit of measurement, the possession of a certain element and a promise of elevation of an unspecified nature.

"A country mile"/"got the fire"/"lift your spirit higher"

Clue 11: The song you're searching for was once played back-to-back with a rarely performed cover song that Maiden played live without having released it on a single or an album. Blink and you’ll miss it, but these two songs have a short, chromatic bass part in common. This (by Maiden) rarely performed cover song is not first and foremost known for this bass part, though, nor the lyrics. But a word in the chorus serves as a hint to the song in question, but beware, because this line also appears in its entirety elsewhere in Maiden's lyrical universe.

At Clive Burr's last show i Japan in December 1982, Maiden played a cover version of "Smoke on the Water", before ending the encores with "I've Got The Fire". The bass line in the verse is the one from the intro on "Smoke on the Water", which is played at in the beginning of the verse in "I've got the Fire" (0-1-2-3 on the E-string). Of course, "Smoke on the Water" is primarily known for its guitar riff, one of the most recognizable in rock history. "A fire in the Sky" is the line, which was also used in full for "Sign of the Cross".

Clue 1: A band that has opened for Maiden started out under a different name, a name that should guide you to this Maiden song.

Clue 1: A band that has opened for Maiden started out under a different name, a name that should guide you to this Maiden song.
Clue 2: In the lyrics to this song, we find the name of an album opener from one of the Big 4 of thrash.

Incorrect guesses: Blood on the World's Hands

Back